Cause No One Is Perfect

Uncomfortable Suprise

Three days at Kevin and Danielle’s seemed like it went by too fast. On the car ride from the airport I made a mental note to visit more often. I found a parking spot in the ramp for our building and put the car in park. Eva and I held hands as we walked toward the entrance. It was only a short few seconds before we turned the corner and I saw a sight I believed would never happen to me. I turned Eva back around the corner as quick as I could.
“What was that for?” She asked showing a look of bewilderment. I held her shoulders and I got close so I should whisper.
“Did you see that woman sitting on the floor?” She shook her head. “She was in front of our door. I think she is Ekaterina. She looks like Ekaterina.”
“Who’s Ekaterina?” Eva whispered back in an almost angered way.
“The Russian that could be having my child.” She moved to peak around the corner.
“Oh, she looks nice.” She tried to sound like she didn't care, but I could tell she was really uncomfortable. “Why is she here?”
“I don’t know. I didn't invite her.”
“Well, then let’s go ask.” She moved around the corner taking my hand.
“We can’t she doesn't know English.” As she saw us she started to try to stand, but her huge stomach threw her balance off. Kindly, I helped her so she wouldn't fall. She gave me a smile. Even that made me uncomfortable. She was jabbering off in Russian and I couldn't understand her. Eva unlocked and opened the door letting the poor woman in. I did the only thing I could think of and called Abbi.
“Joe, I can’t talk right now. I can’t find-“ I cut her off at that.
“Your sister-in-law by chance?”
“Yes, why do you know that?” She sounded relieved and concerned at the same time.
“I think you are looking on the wrong continent because she is here at my apartment.” She sighed.
“Why would she be there she hardly knows you!” I paced the length of our living room.
“I think you should just come over here. I don’t think she is going to go back on her own and I guess I have some explaining to do. I’ll pay for your tickets. I’ll pull a few strings and get you on a flight in a few hours. Hey, bring Mikhail along. I’ll call you back when I know for sure everything.”
“Okay?” She sounded confused, but accepted the fact that she and Mikhail were going to have a long night. “Talk to you soon then.”
“I love you, Abs.” I hung up the phone.
“What are we going to do with her?” Eva asked watching Ekaterina from across the room.
“Abbi, will be here in the morning she will help sort this out and probably take her home.” I replied walking over to Eva not wanting her to feel like I was changed by Ekaterina being here. “Until then I don’t really know what to do with her.”
“Food.” Ekaterina spoke jarring us both.
“I think she’s hungry.” Eva looked at me as she talked. “I mean I would if I flew to a strange country and sat outside a man’s door for hours or days. Probably not good for the baby.” I could really tell she wasn't happy about Ekaterina here. I left to the kitchen and heated the contents of a can of soup. I gave Ekaterina the bowl and a spoon before going back to Eva.
“Spasibo.” She then began to eat.
“I think she said thank you.” I told Eva.
“I guess I’ll go get a blanket and pillow for the couch.” I could tell that she was in a really horrible mood. She was okay with maybe having the baby around, but the child’s mother she wasn't thrilled about her being here. Hopefully, she would be gone in the next day or two.
♠ ♠ ♠
<3 Kelsey