Cause No One Is Perfect

A Moment of Truth

I was playing a game on Joe’s phone, mine had died an hour earlier, when a man and a woman rushed in with a nurse. I looked at them and at a brief glance thought nothing of the couple until she spoke.
“I am looking for Ekaterina Zhenecka. E-K-A-T-R-I-N-A.”
“Abbi?” I asked not a hundred percent sure if that was what his sister’s name. Quickly, she turned her head.
“I am Evangeline. Your brother is in there with her. I don’t know yet if she has had the baby yet. I've been sitting here for five hours and still no news.” She came and sat down next to me her husband, maybe, trailing behind. “It’s nice to finally meet you.”
“You too. That’s nice of Joe to go in with her.”
“He had to, but he sort of needs it if you ask me.” She gave me a funny look from that odd statement.
“He is going to have to explain that one. It’s not my place to tell you. Would you like coffee? You probably don’t have a lot of American currency on you.”
“Yes, thank you.” She turned to Mikhail for his answer too.
“Yes.” His voice held a heavy accent. I stood and strode to the machine across the room. I heard them talking in their normal language as I did so. Probably trying to figure out the meaning to what I said. It is true it is good for him. How else is he going to learn that his mistakes have consequences. I am not saying that I was completely happy about the whole ordeal. I am not, but I wanted to make the best of it. There was nothing I could do about it except probably hope it turned out not being Joe’s child. I returned with coffee and handed the couple each a cup. Abbi took my hand as I did so and turned it to see my ring.
“Wow! That’s stunning.” She smiled at me still holding my hand. “It’s got to be at least two carats.” She moved my hand about letting the ring catch light.
“Three in total weight of the whole ring.” I looked at her left hand and found it bare. On her right she had a small band with diamonds all around it. “He designed it himself. He said that the setting reminded him of how I enveloped him with love.”
“Joe, he is a sweetheart sometimes.” She let go of my hand and looked at Mikhail. I could almost see the love between the two. She looked back at me. “I hope he is okay. It’s probably scaring the wits out of him. I’ll make a note not to have him around when I give birth.” At the sudden thought of the baby Abbi was having Mikhail smiled and reached out placing a hand on her barely visible bump. She put her hand over his. The little cute show in the next seat halted as a nurse came into the waiting room. She spotted us among the other seated people and walked over.
“Are you Evangeline Matterson?” I nodded. “Oh, good. The only description he gave me was blonde with a nose ring and a killer smile. There were three blondes with nose rings.” The male nurse winked at me.
“I wasn't smiling though.” Trying inadvertently to get him to stop flirting with me.
“Well, good thing I got it right the first time then. That could have been embarrassing.”
“What’s the news on the baby?” I said blankly.
“He is healthy and they are ready for visitors.” All three of us stood ready to see for ourselves. Without any trouble or any more flirtatious behavior he took us back to the room where they were keeping them. Mikhail was the first to get inside obviously worried about his sister. He went right to her bed side and they started chatting in Russian. Joe on the other hand was holding the baby who was asleep in his arms.
“Joseph, what have you done?” Abbi said from right behind me I moved to let her through.
“Abbi, I can explain.” He started, but she held up her hand.
“Tell me I am not seeing what I am seeing. What I am seeing is the real reason why she wouldn't tell us whose baby it was.”
“I didn't mean for it to happen.”
“Most people don’t, but your sister-in-law. Really?” Another nurse came in at that point and Abbi stopped arguing about it. “We will talk about this later.”
“Good, someone who can speak this young lady’s language. This means a lot of paperwork is to be done. But, first we have to fill out the birth certificate.” She pulled out a pen and set her clip board on the wheeled table. “Let’s start at the top. Child’s name.” Mikhail looked at his sister and asked her in Russian.
“Malik Josif Jonas.” How she said it made it sound like all her J’s were Y’s, but it was evident that she had practiced that name over and over again. Mikhail looked at the confused nurse and spelled it out for her.
“Malik as in M-A-L-I-K like Malachi. J-O-S-I-F IS Russian version of Joseph. J-O-N-A-S.” He looked at Joe as if he too had a bone to pick with him. I decided to cut Joe a break. He had too many other people on his case. Plus he looked pretty content in the chair with Malik in his arms.
“Full name of the father?” Joe looked up at that mention.
“Joseph Adam Jonas.” He spoke as if letting go of what had been heavy on his chest. Like he was relieved to say that out loud.
♠ ♠ ♠
<3 Kelsey