Cause No One Is Perfect

The Beginning of a Long Day

I wasn't too nervous about telling my parents because the damage was already done. It’s not like they could magically make all this disappear. They might be a little mad. Probably a lot. I guess made I shouldn't have ignored everyone for most of the year. I should have probably kept them in the loop. But, I didn't and you can’t change the past. I walked in carrying Malik like it was no big deal. I have a baby, can’t change that. They were sitting on the couch when we arrived. I entered casually and sat down across from them.
“Whose baby is that, Joe?” They asked, but I knew like others they could see the resemblance between Malik and me. You could hold up a picture of me at this age and think that this was the same baby. They just didn't want it to be true. The rest of the happy travelers came in and sat down. Mom and dad smiled when they saw Abbi and Mikhail. Gave them both tight hugs. After everyone looked at me. In the silence Nick walked in glanced at the child and I as he walked passed to be with his twin.
“Hey Joe. When did you have a baby?” He spoke as he went to squeeze Abbi. Everyone looked at him. “Oh sorry, didn't know that I wasn't supposed to point out the elephant in the room.” He shrugged it off. Leave it to Nick to turn the kill switch on my confidence in saying this.
“Well, I guess I don’t have to say it then. Since Nick told you all I’ll just take him into the other room and feed him or something. Please, Nick tell them the rest of what I wanted to say. Explain it to them. Go ahead.” Of course I was being sarcastic, but it wasn't my brother’s place to tell them that. It was mine to say.
“No, go on Joe. I’m sorry I just assumed things and let everyone know.” Every person then turned back to me. I transferred Malik to my other side so that everyone could see him.
“I guess I should start from the beginning…” I trailed off before picking back up. “It’s started after Abbi’s wedding. I went home with Ekaterina. Big mistake.” My parents gave me this look like they really didn't want to hear this from my mouth. “So I went home that next morning to avoid things being awkward. Like a little while later, I got engaged to Evangeline. That pretty girl over there you've never met. Yes, that may seem like it was fast, but we had been practically dating for three years. You know like dating without, I’ll just say, holding hands and kissing.” Abbi rolled her eyes. “So skip several months ahead and Ekaterina shows up on my doorstep and pregnant and whatnot. Abbi had told me that she had been pregnant a teensy bit before. Oh, so yeah she’s at my door so I let her in and I feed her because I don’t know how long she has been outside my door because we've been gone for four days at Kevin and Danielle’s house. I call Abbi and then make arrangements to fly them out here. But, during the middle of the night Ekaterina goes into labor. So we take her to the hospital and I am in there for like six hours delivering a baby that I was mostly sure was mine. Then he was here and he was so beautiful. Just looking at him I could tell that he belonged to me. A few days later we left the hospital and drove here. Here we are.” My parents and brother took this all in. It took a few minutes before they decided on what to say.
“So, we are grandparents now.” My mother spoke in a bit of shock.
“What’s his name?” Nick asked moving closer to get a good look at him.
“Malik.” I answered before shifting him. “Mom, want to hold him?” All she could do was nod. I guess the news isn't so bad if you come in toting a cute little baby. I stood and carried him over and placed him in her arms. After looking him over she smiled at me.
“He really is something isn't he?” Mom rocked him slightly as she stated this.
“Thanks I made him myself. Well not alone, but I have been his sole caregiver. So that must count for something.” They shook their heads at me.
“We aren't very happy with your choices, but we aren't going to be mad at you. Everyone has free will. God gives you that. It’s what you do with it that matters, but it’s all your choice.” Dad laid it down as he gazed down at Malik. Soon after she gave Dad a turn at holding his grandchild.
“I still don’t really know what the custody situation is going to be. She hasn't really spoke to me. I can’t really understand her so it’s a little difficult. I want to have him sometimes. I kind of want him all the time, but I don’t really know what she wants.” I only received a short response from them.
“You are going to have to figure it out with her.” I hadn't realized that during this time Mikhail and his sister had moved back into the foyer and were having an argument about something only Nick and Abbi could understand. The rest of us just sat there waiting for the argument to end. Eventually, Abbi stood up and when in there and also starting quarreling with them or started trying to sort it out. I don’t know which one it was.
♠ ♠ ♠
<3 Kelsey