Cause No One Is Perfect

Meaning It Over Saying It

A short few weeks later I came home to an empty apartment. Panicking, I called Joe. I needed burglary consoling before I called the police. He answered with a short of breath hello. I explained to him what had happened.
“Calm down, Angel. Remember, I told you I would be moving your things into my place this week sometime. I had the time today so I did. I was just about to call you. Oh, there is one more box in your room can you get it?”
“Sure.” I sighed and headed toward my room.
“Okay, babe. I've got to go. I love you.” Joe quickly hung up the phone before I could ask him about the small brownish red box on top of a neon orange envelope. I picked up the two and saw that the envelope had Joe’s handwriting scrawled on the front.
“Open me! Don’t open the box!” I read what it said out loud. My fingers raised the flap and drag out the paper inside. “Angel, please don’t open this box. It’ll blow up. No probably not, but just trust me you don’t want to open this box. But, you can just take it to the first place you remember me from.” I raised one eye brow and walk toward the door in thought. My mind lead me to where I thought he meant, but he wasn't there. Maybe he was late? I stood by the door waiting for a minute before the hostess caught my attention.
“Are you by chance Evangeline?” I looked at her and nodded. It’s waiting for you at table twelve. I’ll take you back.” I followed her whilst thinking about why she said it. When I saw the table I found my parents at the seats. My mom was holding another orange letter.
“Why are you guys here?” I asked them because one simply doesn't arrive unexpectedly from Alberta, Canada without notifying someone. She quickly handed me the envelope. I opened it and read what he had to say.
“Angel, don’t question them. They are on a code of silence. They promised not to speak to you until it’s time. In the meantime, spring is in bloom and the flowers are out. You know what that means.” I finished and only pondered for a second before I knew what he meant. “My florist!” My parents walked with me out to my car after hugging my tightly.
I drove the half hour and climbed out running to the shop. Inside next to my favorite display was my little brother with a bouquet of red tulips and another of those envelopes. I squeezed Luke before tearing open the envelope. “Angel, he too has promised to be discrete about this situation. He is just trying to be my wing man and give you some flowers from me. If you’re looking for something to capture you might want to get there in a flash.” I threw my arms about. “He put a wink face after that. Can you believe that, Luke?” My brother laughed.
My car was getting full hopefully he didn't have any more surprise guests. By the time my car reached my workplace it was getting dark. I had to use my keys to open the door. A light was on in my studio. I peeked inside to see my best friend and coworker Makenna sitting on my stool. She pointed toward my back drop. I did what she seemed to want me to do. She snapped a photograph at me just standing there. My sister, Louise came out from the shadows and gave me this cute little dress to put on. I went to the dressing room and found another envelope.
“Angel, you better get spiffed up we are going to have a party tonight. Change and meet your family in your studio.” I did what was asked and stood back where I was. My grandmother came in now and kissed my cheek straightening my hair. I realized that at this point I left the box in the dressing room. I was distracted as Makenna snapped my picture. I took this as her telling me I needed to act like I was her subject. I posed and smiled and acted goofy. I was in the zone. Finally, she pushed the playback button and on the wall to my left the pictures started playing out. They each said something around me.
‘Evangeline, my Angel. You don’t even know how much I care about you. Or maybe you do. You always seem to know things about me. I guess you just understand. So by this point you should know that I love you more than anything I have ever known. You are beautiful beyond measure and that’s okay because I've gotten used to being out shined.’ I laughed at that one. ‘You should also know that I let it slip to your parents that we are not actually engaged… Sorry, I hope this makes it up to you.’ The screen went blank for a second. Before a shot of Joe behind me holding the box I left came up. Before I could turn the next came up and he had the box open. Then the next a box came out of the box. As I turned I saw him with that damn box on one knee. I knew I was about to pass out. I put my hands over my face.
“I mean it this time.”
♠ ♠ ♠
So, what do y'all think of it?
<3 Kelsey