Angel of Suburbia

The Son, The Last

Now would be a good time to tell you about Jimmy. He and I met in junior high, before this hangout was established. Back then, we weren't anything like what we are now, at all. We were much more in a depressed state of mind, unlike the state of indifference we both share now. Neither of us were social or participated in anything, which confined us to the fact that we only saw each other during school, in our two identical classes and lunch hour. We started talking to one another after we were paired up with each other for an English project. I’m usually not one to initiate conversation, but after seeing some of his drawings on a notebook, I had to ask about them. Ultimately, it would be a mutual love for Green Day that brought us together.
By that time, their album entitled “Warning” had come out about two years earlier. Jimmy had it, I didn’t, so he shared with me. We used to spend every extra moment we could listening to their music together.
Around our Freshmen years, both of our home lives were slowly spiraling into a state of discomfort and abuse. In an effort to ‘escape’, we went for walks frequently. The city is where we wanted to be most, but the suburban shit town we live in is located smack between Los Angeles and San Diego, each an hour away… limiting our walks, but also pushing us to explore further. Eventually, we found this place. It was slightly covered in graffiti. There was a sofa against the wall and a couple of barrels against another, all of which are still here. Before we knew it, other people started merging down here on there own, some by word of mouth, some words being ours. Three years later, I have my own ratty recliner down here, my own boyfriend, Eli, and some girls I talk to. Jimmy has a girlfriend now, they’ve been together for about a year. Everyone was brought together by this place. This dirty, forgotten, pointless, yet beautiful place.