Letters From Oblivion

Introduction

Kathryn Benson twisted her simple silver wedding band around her finger as she sat next to her mother's bed. Even married with children and nearly forty-one, she would still long for the company of her mother. Shiloh grabbed her youngest child's smooth hand and gave it a quick squeeze. Kathryn gave a small smile and glanced around the room that used to be her brother, Riley's. The day Kathryn's father, Liam, passed away, her mother started to sleep in the other room. No one questioned Shiloh on it. Three years have passed and Kathryn's curiosity has taken over.

"Why do you sleep in here?"

Shiloh turned her blue eyes towards her daughter and gave a sad smile. "I couldn't sleep in our bed. It hurts too bad. I can still smell Liam in there and it tears a hole in me every time I open the door. It physically hurts, Katie."

Kathryn felt her eyes tear up as she remembered her father. She remembered Liam and Shiloh being so in love until the day he died. He would always tell their five children that he was married to the most gorgeous woman in the world. Kathryn felt as if no one on this earth could love one person more than her father loved her mother.

Shiloh squeezed her daughter's hand again before moving her teary gaze straight ahead. "I'm dying, Katie. I saw Riley, Amanda, and the kids on Sunday. I saw Emerson, Penelope, and their kids on Monday. I saw Alex, Ginger, and Laney on Tuesday. I saw Poet, Joshua, and their children on Wednesday. And I saw Tom, Freya, Lindsay, and Mark yesterday," Shiloh spoke referring to her family and naming Kathryn's own little family last. "Today, I've seen you."

Kathryn felt tears make their way down her cheeks and Shiloh wiped them away with her thumbs like Liam used to do.

"I can die happy."

Kathryn shook her head. "Mama"

Shiloh shook her head. "You should go see Freya's recital. She said it means a lot to her."

Kathryn wiped her cheeks and kissed her mother's forehead.

"Liam and I both kept journals. They are in our old room," Shiloh said to her daughter.

"I love you so much, mama."

Shiloh smiled only the way a mother could. "I love you more, Katie."

______________________________

Kathryn wiped her eyes as she picked up the journals her mother told her about. Her older sister, Poet, let out sniffles since the funeral was mere hours before.

"I'll start with daddy’s. You start with mama’s," Poet ordered.

Kathryn nodded and picked up the first journal. A note and a picture fell out. The picture showed a young blonde woman with bright blue eyes, laughing as the man next to her planted a sloppy looking kiss on her cheek. The man had nearly black hair and dark colored eyes. He stood much taller than the woman and Kathryn recognized them as her parents when they were young.

She began to read the note with a small smile.

Riley, Emerson, Alex, Poet, and Katie,

This was your father and I in 2013. Your aunt Vivian took the picture at our first apartment together. I want you to read these journals. There is so much that neither of us have told any of you. But now, you can know everything about us.

I love all of you so much. And I know your father did too.

You were the best things we have ever done.

Don't cry because we are gone. Just remember all of the amazing times we've all had.

I love you more than anything.

Mama
♠ ♠ ♠
The rest of this will alternate between Shiloh and Liam, but it won't be shown as a journal entry. Just regular first person.