Status: Updating At Least Once a Week- Mostly Weekends

Here Comes the Sun

o4

-two weeks later-

We were finally going.

Finally.

I had double checked my bags, then triple checked them, just to keep my mind occupied. Everyone had said their goodbyes, everyone, that is, except Sara. She was still clinging to my side and weeping about how she'd never see me again.

Apparently Sara couldn't bare to see me leave.

I turned to her and stopped her mid-sentence. She was asking who she'd surf with for the days to come. I grabbed her hands, looking her intently in the eyes.

"Sar-Bear. Thou shalt not cry. I know I'm your only friend on planet Earth.. " I said sarcastically "and I know that we two are the only surfers in the state of California..." I rolled my eyes "and even if there were other friends of yours that could surf, none of them would be quite as amazing as me." I puffed up my chest. Sara was keeping back a smile through her tears.

I looked at her again, more seriously.

"I seem like a selfish, heartless person, letting you cry like this and me not showing any emotion. But I am crying on the inside, let me tell you." I wasn't. I was glad to leave California. Don't get me wrong, I would miss Sara like crazy. But Hawaii was calling to me!

Sara sniffed and wiped her eyes. She looked like a nervous wreck. Her hair was in a messy bun (and no, she hadn't intended that), her eyes were watery and red, she had mascara running down her face, and was only wearing sweats and a huge t-shirt. I hugged her and wiped my eyes, holding back a few tears. I would miss Sara's craziness.

She held out a bracelet. "Remember when we made, like, a million of these the summer before 6th grade?" She asked. I nodded, smiling at the colorfully knotted piece of string.

"We made two matching ones, but you left yours at my house. I kept the two... but never remembered to give yours back." She said, holding it out. I took it, grinning, and tied it around my ankle. My wrists were covered in bracelets already.

Sara pulled up her pant leg to reveal hers, too. I hugged her and kissed her and the cheek with a big "MUAH". We both laughed and I waved, pulling my suitcase behind me to the conveyor belt. She made the phone motion with her hand and held it up to her ear, mouthing "Call me" sarcastically. I gave her a thumbs up and turned to walk away.

That would be the last time in three years that I would see Sara in person.

-

Mom was waiting for me in one of the soft chairs near the loading station, reading. She looked up and saw me coming, then patted the seat next to her. I smiled.

I sat down, but couldn't keep still. I was too excited! Hawaii would be... perfect. I daydreamed about the palm trees, coconuts, exotic birds, amazing waves, our beach side house... All until my phone buzzed in my pocket.

I looked at the lock screen- a picture of Sara and I as little kids, barley holding up our huge boards at the beach. It made me laugh every time. We were making weird faces in that picture. I was holding up a "hang loose" sign and sticking out my tongue, Sara was crossing her eyes.

The text was, obviously, from Sara.

Heyyy Alana. I miss you already!! <3 when does your flight leave? tell me when you board the plane! dont forget to send pics!! :P

I replied quickly. She always thought the worst when I didn't.

Boarding in ten minutes. Miss u, 2!

I leaned my head back and closed my eyes. It was my first time riding in an airplane.

And then it hit me.

An airplane. Airplanes fly. In the air.

Up... high.

I jolted out of my seat and felt sweat beading on my forehead and upper lip. Up high. Away from the ground. The safe, amazing ground where nothing can go wrong.

Well, nothing as bad as crashing. In an airplane.

Mom looked at me with worry in her eyes.

"What's wrong?" She asked, searching my face. Then she relaxed when she remembered.

"Ohhh... It's that whole thing about heights, isn't it? We don't have to do this. I won't make you go on the airplane if it's too much at once..." She placed her cool hand on my knee. I shook my head, trying to calm my thoughts.

"No, n-no. It's okay. I'm okay. I won't delay all of our plans just because of ..." I stopped mid-sentence just as a cheerful sounding lady called out our flight.

"Flight 686 to Hawaii will be loading in 5 minutes. All passengers please prepare to board. That's flight 686 to Hawaii. Please be prepared to board in 5 minutes."

I looked at Mom desperately, clutching the handle of my suitcase until my knuckles turned white. All I could think about was fire. And metal flying everywhere. Screaming for help. The sound of engines failing.

I couldn't board that plane.
♠ ♠ ♠
Dun dun DUUNN!! What will Alana do? Haha.
See in the next chapter! How do you like it so far? Thanks for reading, as always :)