Status: Updating At Least Once a Week- Mostly Weekends

Here Comes the Sun

o8

"Shut. Up." I clamped a hand over my mouth and looked at Aunt Vee with wide eyes. "You're serious? No." Tracing my hand over the polished wood of the board, I was breathless. This was something I'd only dreamed of.

"Yes, It's yours! I would be selfish to keep the beauty to myself. Can you even imagine me surfing?" Aunt Vee let out a hearty laugh. "Even the thought of me in a bathing suit is enough to bring one to tears,"

I pouted. "Awww... Aunt Vee..." We hugged and I sneaked a 20 dollar bill into her back pocket. It was all I had, and although it wasn't much, I knew she'd refuse it. The long board that she was giving me was looked more expensive than I could imagine. It was brand new, with a wooden edge and turquoise base. I wanted to try it out right then, but knew Mom still needed help packing.

She must have seen the desperate look on my face as I stroked my board, so Aunt Vee shooed me away. "Go on now, don't worry about packing. Have fun while you're still young!" She practically shoved the present into my arms and sternly pointed me in the direction of the beach. I obeyed gratefully.

-

I woke up groggily, halfway afraid that I would be back in our Californian condo. However, I was glad to be received by the amazing view of the Hawaiian shores. It was disturbed by the incessant beeping of an alarm next to my cloud like bed, which I smacked irritatedly before bouncing to my feet. I had never been one to sleep in, but yesterday's surfing session was exhausting. My muscles were still sore from adjusting to Aunt Vee's board, and my skin was raw with a new sunburn that stung horribly. It had been worth it though, and I had stayed out until dusk in the tides. I couldn't wait to do it again.

Now, though, I had to get ready for school. School. In Hawaii. Who could ask for anything better? I would be going to Hilo High, which was in the city of Hilo, obviously. Only a bike ride away. Of course, I could bike across the whole island if I wanted. But Hilo was only ten minutes of a ride away. I was excited and scared at the same time. What would people think of a Californian like me? Would I be an outcast or would they love me? I couldn't wait to find out. So I wore a pair of my favorite shorts and a light yellow, scalloped cami. We had gotten my schedule before hand, so there was no reason to be early. I took my time, showering and putting on just a tad of mascara. I put my hair into a simple side braid, bid mother goodbye, and was off.

Biking in flip flops isn't as easy as it sounds. I had to stop two minutes into my ride and take them off, going barefoot. I never much cared for shoes, even when I was little. My mother told me that she used to have to force the things on me for school. I laughed fondly at the memory, feeling carefree as the cool breeze caressed my face and all of my worries melted away. Before long, my new school was in sight. People flowed in and out of its large front gates, and I marveled at the mural of waves crashing along one wide wall. I guess I looked pretty out of place, gawking at the school, because it didn't take long for someone to notice me.

"You lost, Blondie?" A deep voice asked, edged with a hawaiian a accent. I turned to face the voice, and had to look up. The guy was taller than me, maybe 6'3" or so. His skin was tan and his hair was jet black. A jagged scar ran from his left eyebrow to his firmly set jaw. The hawaiian dude was intimidating, but his voice had a joking, kind sound. I decided that I liked him.

I grinned. "Uh, yeah, kinda. Do I really look like that much of an outcast?" He laughed lightly, then shook his head. His hair, shaggy and loose, followed suit.

"Nah, I guess I'm just good at spotting differences. You need some help with finding your classes?" I nodded, a bit shyly, and tucked a loose lock of hair behind my ear. He took the schedule that I handed him, and scanned it quickly. While looking it over, we introduced ourselves. His name was Kahoni, or just Oni for short. He was a junior, like me, and has lived in Hawaii for his whole life. Oni insisted on showing me where all of my classes would be, especially the ones that we shared. They were photography, language, and history. I was glad that there would be at least one person that I knew in some of my classes.

All too soon, the bell rang and we had to part ways. I was becoming pretty attached to Oni, mostly because of his protective, brotherly presence that made me feel safe, even though I had only just met him. I could manage, though, until third period when we would meet again in history.

I could tell that the day would go just fine.
♠ ♠ ♠
You can see the board here!

Her bathing suit is here

I was going through my stories and found this, fell in love with it all over again. Hope you like!!! :)