Abigail

Abigail

My Mother woke me up late at night.

"Richard."

I slowly opened my eyes. I could hear far off shouting,

"Father's going to take you somewhere."

She helped me up and pulled clothes on me. I was so confused but sleepy. Father walked in and picked me up.

----------------

I leant my head on Father's shoulder as he stumbled through the forest.

"Where are we going?"

I was still awake, barely.

"Out."

I squeaked and held on tight.

----------------

After a while, Father put me down. He looked me in the eyes.

"I'll come back for you soon. I promise."

Fear hit me at his words.

"Don't leave me!"

I clung to his shirt. He sobbed and kissed my cheek before rushing off. I whined and started following the light. Suddenly, it disappeared. I fell to my knees and cried.

----------------

I started walking, stumbling in the dark.

"Father!"

I had no idea where I was going. I fell and hurt my knee. I cried hard and let out a small scream as I tried to move it.

"Hello? Is someone there?"

I panicked. Father had told me stories about people that lived in the forest and would take small children that got lost. I picked myself up and ran, screaming at every step.

----------------

I saw a house and ran towards it. I smacked my fist on the door.

"Help me! Help me please!"

"NO! DON'T GO IN THERE!"

Something broke on my hand and I ran in as the door opened. It shut behind me. I shuddered and looked at the thing in my hand. It was off the door. I sniffed it and slowly chewed on it. It was candy. I ate it then looked around.

"Why hello, dear."

I turned around and screamed.

----------------

I huddled up in the cage the witch had put me in. She was ugly and kept leering at me, throwing me candy whilst she lit a furnace. I cried silently. Why would my Father leave me alone in with land? She cackled loudly, making me jump. She pulled me out the cage and I whimpered.

"P-Please don't hurt me!"

She slapped me and opened the furnace door. I screamed and tried to break free.

"Drop him."

She stiffened and I looked over to see four men. They all had guns except the tallest. He was holding a bow and arrow. The red head shot at her, hitting her in the shoulder. I fell and scrambled over to them, sobbing. The tallest picked me up and I cried into his shoulder. He soothed me. I sobbed into his shoulder, whimpering at her shrieks as they slowly killed her before throwing her in the furnace. I listened to her screams and sniffed more.

"You're going to be OK, little man."

I looked up at the man holding me and his smile made me feel warm. I huddled into him as the red-head came over.

"Wanna keep him you look after him."

"What? Like you did with Angelo?"

The red-head closed his eyes before storming out the house. The two other men followed him and then the man holding me. I heard the shortest murmur.

"We still need Abigail."