How I Learned to Love the Apocalypse

Part One: The Meeting

Another day in the dry Texas heat, another day I wished to be back home in New York. This stupid vacation in Austin was the last thing I wanted, though it could've been worse. I had at least gotten to bring my boyfriend Dan along. Nerdy and loving as always, we spent the days my parents didn't make us go outside playing Minecraft and having casual sex. Honestly, I didn't have many feelings for Dan, but he was entertaining, and definitely made me less lonely. We still had to hide everything we did, though, as I was barely 18 and my parents still thought he was gay. It was okay. Not great, but okay. My only hope for this vacation was to meet the staff of RoosterTeeth. It was the main reason I'd agreed to come. They were my idols, really, and the closest I'd come to loving people. My absolute favourite of them were the Achievement Hunters. I looked forward to their Let's Plays every day, even the weekend Full Plays from Michael. There was also Trials, and Halo, and Rage Quit. Really, they could do no wrong in my eyes. And my favourite of them all, Geoff Ramsey, would be there when I could tour their office. Three hours. That's what I had to get ready before I could meet my idols and Jack. I never did really like Jack Pattillo, though I couldn't bring myself to hate him either. He wasn't interesting enough for me to form a positive opinion of him.

I was finally at the office, the place of my dreams. Though I'd seen the inside many times through the Shorts and RT Lifes, I'd never thought it was that real...

"And to your left, you'll see the Achievement Hunter office, where absolutely nothing gets done." Joel deadpanned. I got a glimpse inside of Geoff, screaming his lungs out like Michael. His computer wasn't cooperating. While the rest of the group went upstairs to Burnie and Gus' offices, I stayed behind.

"God fucking dammit, this stupid piece of technology!" He was clicking furiously at the recording software on the screen. They were probably setting up for a Let's Play.

"You know you can fix that if you make sure that you're set to the correct microphone then change the audio channel from stereo to surround and restart the program, correct?" I said, checking out the problem. It was a really easy fix.

"Wow, thank you random person who shouldn't be here. I suppose you'll want some sort of prize?" He sighed. I was talking to Geoff Ramsey. The Geoff who was always behind my computer screen, but was now directly in front of me, acknowledging my presence.

"I'd love a prize. Anything you want would be cool, really." I smiled. Dan was probably upstairs, being bored without me. I was living.

"We're doing an LP soon, you can stay and watch. Afterwards we're going to hang out at Jack's house with some bevs. If you're good, you can come." He said. Ryan came in and gave him a dirty look.

"How come when I help I get nothing?" He scowled.

"Because we're paying you."

"Fair point." He said before turning to me. "Get Jack and the lads from the kitchen, time to start this bitch up."

"Okay!" I ran to get them, telling myself to remember to text my parents about this. They'd want to know where I would be. I would, however, neglect to tell them of the alcohol. That could be a secret between the AH guys and I.

"Jack, Gavin, Michael, Ray! They're starting the Let's Play!" I yelled into the rather large kitchen. Miles and Kerry were also in there, fixing lunch.

"Those lazy asses couldn't even come here to tell us themselves..." Michael grumbled.

"Have we met before? I don't remember seeing you here..." Gavin queried.

"No, this is the first time. I don't even work here, I just helped Geoff with his computer and he asked if I could stay and watch you guys record." I replied.

"Wow, that's top! He must've been feeling really generous."

"I wonder where you'll be sitting, we barely have enough room for the six of us." Jack questioned. I shrugged. I hoped I'd be sitting next to Geoff and not him.

"Man, you coming to the party later too?" Ray asked. I nodded in reply. "Sweet."

Back in the office, I sat next to Ryan on the couch, which was unfortunately next to Jack also. But whatever, at least I was there with them.

"So what's your name, anyway?" Ryan asked.

"Jill."

"Ha! You should totally date Jack. It'd be hilarious." He laughed.

"Jack and Jill went up a hill to fuck each other stupid!" Ray laughed. "Get it? No? Fuck you, I'm funny."

"Alright guys, 3, 2, 1..." Geoff counted down to the start of the Let's Play. They were doing GTA IV, which always promised a ton of laughs.

The Let's Play went perfectly. I stayed quiet for the two hours it took for them to record it, which got me invited to Jack's house. My parents said it was fine, as long as I was home by three in the morning.

"Bev time!" Gavin yelled, following the others out the door. I was hitching a ride with Michael and Ray.

"Have fun with the lucky little donut!" He waved, going with Geoff to their car. It was almost like his British accent showed more in person. I was sure this party would be the most awesome thing I'd ever experienced.