How I Learned to Love the Apocalypse

Part Two: The Party

Our car was the last to arrive, though we were the first to actually leave.

"If you hadn't told me to go the wrong fuckin' way, we wouldn't have been so goddamn late to this fucking stupid thing!" Michael screamed.

"Ey, not my fault you decided to listen to me!" Ray retorted.

"Whatever, at least we're here now. See, I like Jill better. She's quiet and has the same name as a kickass Resident Evil character." Michael complemented. It was officially the best day of my life. All other days would pale in comparison. As we walked into Jack's house, I took it all in. My favourite people, sitting on the couch, having happy-time bevs together and waiting for me to join in. It was amazing.

"Look who finally showed up!" Geoff raised his drink in approval.

"Ray's fault. Toss me a bev, Gavvy Wavvy." Michael said.

"Sure Mico-ol! Anything for my lovely little boy." Gavin cooed, grabbing a beer.

"Team Nice Dynamite in action right here." He turned to me and took a sip.

Jack and Ryan were off in a corner somewhere, being boring. I half hoped Ryan would end up doing something really fucked up in front of me. Maybe plot an evil prank or creep someone out. Hell, maybe he'd even end up getting a real cow and shoving it in a hole. After all, Edgar is only the one in the hole. No one said it had to be a joke in Minecraft. Jack could disappear for a bit and I wouldn't care. It might be a bit nicer without him around, but I didn't want to be mean or hurt his feelings. Besides, it was his house.

We all continued to hang out for an hour or so, learning more about each other. I learned that out of all of them, Geoff was the best cook. They eventually learned that I was only 18.

"No more bevs for you! You're just a kid!" Geoff grabbed the beer from my hand and began drinking it himself.

"Hurray! Join the non drinking club, population: us." Ray slung his arm around me.

"Woohoo!" Gavin screamed in a high pitched voice before jumping on top of Geoff on the couch.

"Oh fuck, my dick!" Geoff shouted, collapsing to the ground in pain. As we were all laughing hysterically at his pain, my mom decided to text me.

"U need 2 come home rite now. Nt safe out." I read the text aloud. There was a collective sigh from all of them.

"Well, I guess we've got to get you home. Sucks though, you're pretty cool." Ryan said.

"Who's driving her? Because we're all pretty fucked up..." Michael pointed out.

"If someone can supply the car, I can drive." I offered.

"Nah, you've had some drinks. I say we all walk, how far away is your hotel?" Jack asked.

"Like a mile. If you guys are cool with it, I guess we can walk." I sighed. A mile wasn't far, but I was lazy. Everyone nodded in agreement. "Okay then, lets get going."

"Llllllllet's go!" Ray added. We started what was probably going to feel like a long journey.

Nearly half an hour later, we were drunkenly stumbling along the street about 500 feet from the hotel when the entire sky suddenly lit up. We saw a massive streak of white light coming closer and closer.

“What the fu-” Michael started before getting blasted backwards along with the rest of us. Something horrible just happened. That’s all we knew. I felt my body hit something, then my head, then all I saw was black. That’s how it stayed for a while. Or at least, it felt like a while. I didn’t really know. It could’ve been two seconds, it could’ve been two years. When I finally came to, I was being carried somewhere very quickly by someone very strong. I kept my eyes closed and listened closely to the person’s heartbeat. Whoever it was, they had soft skin, though it was a bit hairy, and they were very warm. I felt safe, and didn’t want to go away.

“Almost there.” The person said. It sounded a bit like Ryan. So it was him who was carrying me. Why? What happened? Where were the other guys? Someones hand fiddled around in a pocket for keys. A door creaked open. I was laid on something soft.

“Shit, dude, do you think she’ll wake up soon?” Geoff asked. I opened my eyes to see if he was okay. Something obviously happened.

“Holy fuck. We thought you were dead.” Michael came over to check on me. His head was scraped up and it looked like he was bleeding quite a bit.

“What happened?” I asked.

“Okay, lets find the person who can explain this the most logically.” Geoff said. Ryan showed up in my field of view.

“So basically, we might be in the middle of the apocalypse. There’s a fuckton of meteorites crashing down, a lot of them are big enough to make massive craters. One landed pretty much on top of that hotel you were staying at, and the shockwave from in blasted us all back. We’re pretty lucky we all survived, even though we’re all pretty hurt.” He began explaining. I sat up and looked around the room for the others. I was on a bed, they were all standing around me. Ray was wrapping up Gavin’s arm with some sort of ace bandage and a stick, Geoff was tending to his hand, which looked like it had been hit with a hammer forty times. Ryan had scrapes down his entire left side. Michael was holding a bed sheet to his head. Ray had finished with Gavin and was working on the gash on his leg. Jack looked surprisingly lacking in the injury department, until he took off his shirt to reveal scrapes up his stomach. I remembered that his shirt wasn’t the same red it was now when we were hanging out earlier. It was white.

“How did I get here?” I asked.

“Since you were passed out, Jack carried you. That’s actually not all his blood.” Ryan supplied. Jack… carried me? All the way back? Why would he… we all just met. He could’ve left me there to die, but he didn’t.

“Jack… thank you.” I smiled at him. Anything that had made me dislike him in the past disappeared. He saved my life.

“It was nothing, really. You’re tiny, so…” He went off on a tangent of modesty. It made me giggle a bit.

“Also, everyone in that hotel is probably dead now. I’m sor-” There was a loud bang in the distance, we all cringed in unison. “I’m sorry.” Ray finished.

“It’s okay. It was only my parents and Dan.” I deadpanned. I felt tears forming. “Just them.” They were getting to be to much for my lids to contain. “No one important.” Suddenly, crying. Not sobbing, but just tears, streaming down my face. I didn’t actually think I’d miss them if they died. I never really cared. But now that they were gone…

“If you need to talk, we’re here.” Jack said. Everyone was silent. I guess I was staying with the, for this thing.

“I could use a hug.” I croaked. I was surrounded by the arms of my heroes. Including Jack now.