Princess Anna

The Best of Men

Before the dawn prayer I bathed from winter mountain waters. The cold swept through to my bones and bounced off my heart and faded away. Mother helped me dress in my gown.

Smooth in her actions until she had no more to take. She stopped. She stared. She wept.

She kissed me and draped a blue linen scarf over my head. I had chosen to wear the scarf only a few days ago. Mother wrapped me tight and warm and kissed my palms. Her beautiful blue eyes so strong in my youth looked aged and wise.

"I am so proud of you Annie, I know you will be so successful." She said.

We now sit amongst our family for the wedding.

A short speech about how husband and wife are a covering for each other. A protection for each other. Secret keepers. We do not spread the hidden traits of our spouse and we learn their rights and treat them in the best way.

"Now Princess Anna, do you agree to marry Adam?" The man from the musjid says.

I pinch the fabric near my ear.

So now, in front of the imam, who is in charge of the nearest musjid, which is a whole day's carriage ride, I would be covered and modest. So, in front of the man I have not yet married I am a covered girl. I like the idea that not anyone can take in every morsel of my self, what is on the surface as my beauty, beauty that can no longer be completely soaked in by viewers. Now I have a shield, whether the man's intention to look at me are good or bad I have something to keep the views towards neutral.

"Yes." I breathe and glance up to see Adam watching me. A blush across his cheeks, a peace at his eyes after my words but a worry strung through his forehead beforehand.

"Anna, is anyone forcing you to marry Adam?" Imam Abdul Aziz says.

My father glances at me, his stiff suit, more suited to a throne room than to this simple wedding, seems to stretch as he moves around. He turns towards Mother's brothers, who arrived to be witnesses to my wedding, to see their only niece wed.

"Anna darling, you can tell the truth." Father breathes. He sounds unsure to me.

The entire week's stay he confirmed with me that I really was sure, really sure that I wanted to be a Muslim, that I wanted to be with Adam. A conclusive yes was arrived from our discussions and then my shy silence.

This method from my father and this process inside the marriage or nikkah, of asking me of my choice is beautiful. It is freeing.

Making sure no one pushed me, forced me, chained me against my dreams. My sweet dreams. Making sure I was not held behind bars holding out my hand, waving my fingers to sweep the tips at those dreams once more.

I shake my head.

"As her wali, King Joseph, do you give Anna Eve Joseph to Adam Suleiman for the stipulated amount of marriage payment in the presence of these two witnesses?" Imam Abdul Aziz says.

The stipulated amount Madame told me was ten thousand gold pieces, because that is how much Adam makes in a month. So they set the price for me, and she told me so sweetly, however I felt a cold in my heart.

How was I to pay him for marrying me?

"Yes, I agree." Father says.

Am I buying Adam?

"Do you take Anna Eve Joseph in marriage for the stipulated amount of marriage payment."

"I accept her in my marriage." Adam says.

Where will I find ten thousand gold pieces so soon? I only brought fifteen hundred with me.

"Barak Allahu laka wa baraka alayka wa jama'a baynakuma bikhayr. This is a dua in Arabic that is recited when two are married. The meaning of this is that; May Allah bless you and have His blessing descend upon you and unite you in goodness." Imam Abdul Aziz says.

I glance at Adam. With his shimmering eyes on mine, I wonder, how could I be so lucky that these eyes are only for me?

"Allah the Most Gracious, says in the Quran: And give the women, upon marriage, their bridal gifts graciously. But if they give up willingly to you anything of it, then take it in satisfaction and ease." Imam Abdul Aziz states.

I receive a bridal gift? Well that is kind, however, where is the dowry for Adam mentioned? Maybe I can give him some of this gift to make up for my lack of funds?

"Adam you are now married to Anna, you are the sole financial provider for this woman. This gift you have given her is known as the mahr, it is a bridal gift. A gift of money that the nikkah must have and that the wife may spend however she wishes. This gift is in the nikkah process to honour the woman's dignity and respect. She is given a gift as she becomes a wife. And Anna, be a first class woman and not a second class man. You are the queen of your home and Adam is the king. Both are needed to run a family." Imam Abdul Aziz says with as stern look towards my husband and I.

I receive a present and I receive Adam as a husband. No dowry.

I wonder what other gifts are in Islam. What other rights does Allah the All Knowing give women so that I may live with respect and harmony in my new home?

"May Allah the Most Merciful make you the coolness of his eyes and May He make you the coolness of her eyes."

My family rises together. They harmonize in one word.

Two languages.

"Mubarak!"

"Congratulations!"
♠ ♠ ♠
Care to share a comment and to share with a friend?

Beautiful, you will be shocked how wonderful voices can be together: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3xZn-3n9Hw