Princess Anna

Thoughts

"Why? Is it cold?" I say. Astonishment swirls around me as I back away from Adam.

"Do you believe in God?" Adam says putting the cloth on the lounge table.

"Yes! Of course I do, don't you?" I say, hardly believing his response.

Could it be, his beliefs are so different, that this simple fact does not even empower his life?

I plop down into a soft seat. My gown pools around me.

Adam leans forward and looks directly in my eyes for the first time.

"I believe in God, only one God that is All Powerful and who has sent us revelation and prophets."

I take a deep breath of relief and release my nails from my forearms.

"Then what's the problem Adam?" I breathe.

"Princess, do you believe in the Bible?"

"Of course, but also some things need to be taught for a full understanding. Do you believe in the Bible?"

"I believe in the Holy Books that God sent to the prophets, that, of course, includes the Bible."

What a strange man, he seemed to always believe something else, but Thank God, he believes the same beliefs as me.

I glance around the room, the maroon furnishings with the cream couches and the wide dark stone fireplace, makes this lounge the second most elegant room in the house. I finger the soft fur draped over the couch and peak a glance at Adam.

He is like a fisher without water, a blacksmith set to work in an artist's gallery and an emperor left to meld his own weapons. Why all this confusion? Why all this sharing?

Is it that he is ensuring I believe?

Earlier in the dining room he also had solid questions for my beliefs about demons. Pleasant lunch time conversation, perhaps.

I consider since then, that it could be that he believes me possessed. No. No, father would never send me across the land with demons flowing around like lava in my body.

I straighten.

He is possessed. He is hiding his demons. He is warning me of a torturous life. This life of mine that was only to begin, the hopes had finally settled in and now they are sailing out of port, the lifelines too thin.

I struggle to catch my breath.

Adam stands and slides the velvet curtains to stare out at the entrance.

"Adam, there is something you are not telling me." I stand and say with my fists clenched too tight.

My heart feels tied, my feelings feel boxed, my ideas seem too limited. This is Father's fault, he sent me here, he sent me far away and now I am trapped. I have no way home, to my familiars, to my places, to my sanctuaries. Mauve carpets are only so heartening.

"I will tell you Princess. Soon we will speak again if you care to. For now we should meet my mother! Her carriage has arrived."

I glance at the window from the middle of the room catching nothing but mountains from this angle.

Perhaps the woman's sympathy is as beautiful as the dresses she sent me. I stare at the flowing bell sleeves of the aqua gown and the aligned pleats on the front of the skirt. Perhaps she can help me reach home. Perhaps she can exercise him and make him fine. Perhaps this new heart will truly not be built for hopelessness.

Adam turns to stride to exit the lounge and his peaceful and genuine smile lights up his face.

Astonishment swirls around me as I feel a pull and stride behind Adam.

Perhaps he is scholarly and likes to discuss belief and value. Perhaps he is of those that seek knowledge and spread it far and wide, travel deep through their imperfect characters and smooth out the cracks, and gather ideas to deeper understand the perspectives of life.

Yes, my new heart can feel content with this. This life that Father tossed me into and these strange temperatures that embrace me are part of a greater timeline to understand the thoughts of a scholar.

I step into the hall to see a figure dressed in black. Her face hidden behind Adam as she embraces him and laughs delightedly.

A delicate laugh to match her features. Light grey eyes, and smooth artful cheekbones that come to a sweet pink smile. A flower among thorns, a cake among a dry dinner and a smooth oyster pearl among chipped rocks in the sand.

Adam turns and his mother smiles to me and he gestures an arm to highlight my presence to his mother. She rushes towards me, her plain black gown and thick robes flowing around her feet as she reaches to embrace me. The fabric waves around her effortlessly.

"The North Kingdom, Princess Anna, is your home now. I hope your stay has been peaceful thus far." I nod, my face hidden in her shoulder.

She straightens and takes my hand and looks to Adam. I glance at Adam, a sweet joyful grin on his face. That adorably mischievous child from my memories stands before me.

"Shall we head in for dinner?" She says and leads me to the dining room where Adam and I set the dinner the cook made before he headed home for the day.

"We worked very hard Madame Asmara." I say and grin.

She kisses my palm and smiles.

It is quite nice to have a guest after so much personal preparation.