Status: Being written

Summertime Sadness

Three

Nicole:

Nate left two days ago for the combine and it's been pretty boring around here. We've been texting a bit, but haven't gotten a chance to really talk on the phone. Since it's the summer I'm not in school, so I don't have anything to distract me while Nate is gone and most of my friends have gone somewhere for vacation or I just don't feel like hanging out with the ones that are still in town. I was up in my room just flipping through a magazine when a familiar ring sounded from my phone. When I think about you, I think about 17. I think about my old jeep, I think about the stars in the sky. "Hey babe!" I couldn't have been more excited for a phone call from Nate. "Hey beautiful. How are you?" I couldn't stop smiling. "I'm great, better now you called. You?" I laid down on my bed and could hear he was just getting back in his hotel room. "I'm good, tired, sore, missing you most of all." "Aw, I miss you too. Just think, tomorrow you'll be home." He laughed. "Yeah if I live that long, I'm dying right now." "I'm guessing the combine was tough?" "Tough is an understatement. It drains you completely. And then, you have to do interviews after almost dying on some of the tests. It was brutal, but I guess it's worth it."

He sighed and I could tell he really was tired. "That's my boy. Are you sure you want to talk? I can tell you are really tired, maybe we can just talk tomorrow." "No, Nicole really I'm fine. How's Halifax?" "Not the same without you. I haven't really done much while you've been gone. Chelsea and I went out the other night with friends, but I came home early." "Why? You weren't having fun?" "No, I was missing you." I frowned but Nate obviously couldn't see that since he was on the phone and not in front of me. "Aw, hun I'm sorry. I feel bad that you can't hang out with your friends because you are missing me so much." "It's okay, I mean I'm gonna have to get used to it since you will probably be gone after the draft." "Can we not think about that? I'm not ready for that. Being away for these few days knowing the draft is soon and I'm gonna be gone after that is enough. I don't need you bringing it up too." "I'm sorry." I could tell he really was stressed and upset. "It's fine babe, I just, I don't want to think about the time I won't have with you, I just want to think about the time I will have with you when I get back." I smiled and yawned. "Someone else sounds tired. How about I let you get some sleep. And just think, tomorrow when you wake up, I'll be there." "Great now I won't get any sleep, I'm gonna be waiting up all night like a kid waiting for Santa Claus." We both laughed. "Yeah but at least I'm not fat and I don't have a beard." I laughed. "True. Well goodnight babe, see you tomorrow." "See you tomorrow babe, I love you." "I love you too."

I hung up the phone and quickly fell asleep. I know it was only a few days, but Nate being gone for this short amount of time showed me how tough it will be once he goes wherever he does after the draft.

~The Next Day~

tap,tap,tap.

I woke up to the sound of stuff hitting my window. I got up and put on a hoodie of Nathan's he left over here one night then walked over to my window. I looked down to see my 6 foot tall, dirty blonde haired boyfriend standing in my front yard throwing rocks at my window. I quickly smiled and ran outside. I opened the front door and sprinted toward him. "Nate!" I jumped into his arms and he spun me around. We smiled at each other and I quickly leaned in to kiss him. I felt like time froze and that kiss lasted for ages. We pulled away and I rested my forehead on his. "Fireworks?" "Always." I gave him another kiss and he put me down and he gave me a hug. "I missed you so much Nicole." He tucked my hair behind one ear and smiled his adorable smile. "I know, I missed you too." "Go get your shoes on." He pointed back to my front door and I looked confused. "Why?" "Just do it." He gave me a little push and we both laughed. I quickly threw on my boots and came back outside. "So where are we going?" "Hop in." We both climbed in his truck and he started it up. We pulled out of my driveway and just drove. "So, are you happy to be back?" "Of course! I get to see my family, you, and just not have to think about the draft for a little while." I turned and looked at him. I played with the hair at the back of his neck. "Nathan, what's up?" He looked over at me. "What do you mean?"

"Nate, come on. Why so sensitive about the draft?" "Nicole you already know okay. Can we not talk about it please?" "No! Nate you can't avoid this. I'm not gonna let you hold all of this in until the day we have to say goodbye." I felt the tears coming and couldn't hold them back. "Nicole, please. Stop okay." Nate pulled over on the dirt road and I got out of the car. "Nicole! Talk to me." "That's just it Nate, I try. I try so hard to talk to you and understand what your are going through and why the draft has you so upset, but you don't want to talk, so I'm done trying okay. I just don't want you going to Colorado with any regrets." I wiped my tears and turned away from Nate. He walked over and wrapped his arms around my waist. "Nicole, I'm sorry. I'm just scared. This is what I was afraid of. I don't want to loose you over a sport okay? I love you too much for that to happen." I turned to look at him and sniffled. "Nate, this sport is your life now. Or at least it will be after the draft. We just have to get used to that. I know you're scared, I am too. But we have to be optimistic about this. It will be a real test for us and our relationship."

He rested his head on mine and we stood there for what seemed like ages. "What do you say we go home?" I shook my head and we walked to the truck. We climbed in, Nate wrapped me in his jacket and I curled up next to him as we drove off and eventually fell asleep.

Nate:

I pulled into Nicole's driveway and she was passed out next to me. I slowly slid her out of my truck and carried her inside her house. I took her up to her room and gently laid her on the bed. She looked down at me as I took her boots off and pulled the covers up over her. "You okay?" She shook her head. "Yeah." She sighed and looked up at me. "I just wish, it was different." "Me too. You get some sleep okay?" I kissed her head and went to walk away but I felt her hand slowly grab mine. "Nate, please don't go."

I turned and smiled to her. I took off my shoes, pulled back the covers and laid down next to her. She curled up next to me and I kissed her head. "Nate, I love you so much. And I'm sorry for bringing up the draft all the time." "I love you too Nicole. And don't worry, you are showing you care about me, and that's why I love you. Goodnight." I kissed her head. She never said anything back after that because she was asleep as soon as I climbed in bed with her, but I know she heard me. Maybe tonight was my wake up call. I need to realize that not talking about the draft doesn't do me any good. I should be talking about how I'm feeling because Nicole is right, I don't want to leave for Colorado having any regrets.
♠ ♠ ♠
So I'm finally allowed to use computers after being seen by a concussion specialist so my first thing to do was update this for y'all!! I really hope you like it. It took like 2 hours to write and think about. Don't forget to comment and if you haven't already, subscribe :)