Status: In Progress

The Juliets'

The Staircase

Eve stood outside the front doors of her new school, taken by surprise when they were slammed shut in front of her. With crowds of people standing all around her, she pulled them back open on her own and went on her way, opening up a crumpled piece of paper from her pocket with the locations of her classes written down on them.

Trigonometry. English. Chemistry. Economy. None of these sparked her interest, other than the last class on the list, which happened to be art. Each time she read the word on her list, she smiled a little. That was the one class she was sure to fit in, she was a highly talented artist and won awards for her projects on multiple occasions.

But she couldn't go until she was done suffering through the rest of the subjects that were assigned to her. She took a deep breath as she began to decipher where her first class was, room 309A. She looked around at the herds of hormonal teenagers around her. A group of girls stood in a circle, squealing and hugging as if they were reunited with a long lost family member, but actually they just looked like a bunch of stupid preppy bitches. She assumed it was on the school's third floor, considering every room around her was in the 100 range. Maybe the 3 in 309 stood for the floor number.

She began to trudge up the steps, as people pushed their way around her. Three jocks wearing football jerseys were laughing as they pushed each other around jokingly. Eve didn't really notice this until one of them fell right into her, making her loose her balance and drop her books all over the staircase. The three of them took a single glance at her and began to laugh hysterically.

"Watch where you're going smurf" said one of the boys. He had a gorgeous face with a jawline that looked as if it were chiseled from stone. Of course, she was embarrassed as she started to collect her things together as people continued on their way around her, kicking her things all around, but the looks of the guys really didn't affect her as much as it would other girls. For most, getting pushed down by a group of cute guys would be extremely humiliating, but for her it wasn't different than if anyone else had done it. Eve was a lesbian.

Everyone at her last school knew, she even had a girlfriend once, but she ended up leaving Eve for a boy on the school's hockey team. Rumors flew around saying that she wasn't even bisexual in the first place, that she was only putting on a show to get jocks. But she didn't get much comfort, because she didn't have many friends she really didn't have anyone to talk to, especially since she hadn't come out to her family yet.

She tried to ignore the people around her as she collected the last of her things, but something was missing. Her pencil case with purple skulls all over its design. She stood up and tried to find it, but she stopped in her tracks as she felt a tap on her shoulder.

It was the girl from the bus.

"Is this yours?" She asked, holding it out in front of her as she looked into Eve's eyes. Eve nodded but didn't speak. The girl read the label that she had stuck on it with tape.

"Eve. That's a pretty name." She smiled, handing it back to her. Eve grabbed it and faked a short grin.

"Thanks."

She tried to ignore the girl as she started up the stairs again, she really wasn't interested in making any friends at this school. But that didn't stop her from following her up the stairs.

"I'm Isabella, but you can't call me Bella. Or Izzie. Or whatever you want, it doesn't matter to me." She told her. Eve didn't say anything to the girl, and tried to block her out. She didn't care what her name was, she just wanted to be left alone.

"You ride the bus with me." The girl said, stating the obvious. Again, Eve didn't say a word. She could tell Isabella was uncomfortable, but yet she still tried to make conversation.

"So I take it you're new here." She said. Eve stopped in her tracks and looked at the peppy girl.

"How did you know?" She asked, her tone was snappy. There had to be thousands of people in the school, and she highly doubted that Bella knew who all of them happened to be.

"I think I would have noticed a girl with blue hair" she giggled, showing off a pearly white smile as they started walking again in silence side by side. A few minutes had gone by until Bella opened her mouth to speak again.

"I don't know why you don't like me." she said out of nowhere. They strolled down the hallway passed the crowds.

"I don't even know you." Eve stated blankly. She kept her eyes glued to the floor in which they walked.

"You just seem hostile." Isabella whispered quietly, as if she were afraid of Eve's reaction. But Eve didn't care. She knew she was being hostile, all Isabella did was point it out.

"What class do you have?" Eve asked, changing the subject. Isabella searched her bag and grabbed a sheet of paper containing her schedule.

"Trig 309A. You?" She replied. Eve swiped the sheet from her hands and read it to herself.

"I'll be damned." She said, handing it back to Bella. "Same."

Isabella smiled at Eve. "Awesome." she grinned. At that moment Eve smiled back, something about this girl made her feel like she should give her a chance. Maybe a friend is exactly what she needed.