The Yorkist Rose

Elizabeth....

1464.

Warwick had received news from a woman, the widow of a Lancastrian supporter who had seen her lands confiscated, she begged an audience with the King, he'd shown reluctance but on Edward's order and a little bit of forceful persuasion, of the 'this is a death warrant' kind he'd ordered her to court. Elizabeth Woodville Grey, daughter of Lord and Lady Rivers, Baron and Barrenness, so he knew them. It only made him want to call the whole thing off more, it was today she was due to arrive, Cecily had warned Edward and Warwick of this, apparently a man who invited her to court was a fool, and she pitied the fool that was her son. “Warwick.”
“Edward.”
“Have my horse readied.”
“I don’t understand, you have a meeting arranged with-”
“Elizabeth Woodville, of such I am aware and I wish to meet her outside the safety of the palace walls, if it is acceptable for a grown man to do that.”
“I will come with you.”
“That wont be necessary, I can meet a lady without harm being done to myself. She is not fifty thousand Lancastrian men.”
“Nor did you beat them single handed, I'd rather I accompany you.”
“If you must.”
Warwick called for two horses to be readied as the young king stepped outside a slight bounce on his feet. Warwick stepped out as a young boy walked two horses in their direction, offered a bow and stepped back as Edward mounted the horse with no difficulty and was away, Warwick closed ground quickly bringing the King to a trots pace. “My daughter Anne would like to know if you would teach her hunting.”
“Your daughter Anne would be out of her depth, Warwick not only does her sex work against her and deem her unable to hunt, she is but a child, barely ten years of age yet too old do you not think to be seeking the kings attention as a child and too young to seek it otherwise.”
“Edward, she wishes to know only how to ride a horse and shoot an arrow, you swung a sword long before her age.”
“I shall consider it, call it unlikely.” They rode in silence for a few minutes before Warwick finally ashed where the young King was supposed to be meeting with Elizabeth, the King replied with a playful smile and a kick of his horse to canter “When you find me you shall know.”
“Edward!” his call was useless for the young king wanted nothing more than a playful streak in which Warwick found it hard to compete.

Elizabeth Woodville waited, she sat quietly her mother had stayed behind, her son's were by her side, something for which she was truly thankful. Thomas and John, both a little over infancy, both curious and playful. Curious and playful beautiful boys. “Mother why are we here?”
“To meet the king Thomas.”
“King Henry?”
“King Edward, Henry is no longer king.”
“But he killed our father, I don’t want to meet him.”
“Thomas please.”
She sighed and stood brushing her ginger hair away from her face, nerves set in when she heard the tapping of hooves on the dried out floor. She looked around, trying to focus her attentions on anything else but what she was doing. Her hands subconsciously ran over her dress, straightening the skirt. Despite this man being one she was determined to hate, she wanted to look presentable for if she looked like a common Lancastrian woman her chances would be severely diminished right? The horses approached fast coming to a fast halt, the two men stepped down and it was Warwick who spoke first. “Elizabeth Woodville. Well, yes I remember you now.” He emphasised the you earning himself a glance from Edward.
“You remember her?”
“Sure, her husband was a Lancastrian supporter.”
“This is true?”
“Yes your grace.” She stepped forward as the King climbed back on his horse, Warwick was about to lead when Elizabeth took hold of the Kings reigns earning disapproval from Warwick and he drew his sword.
“Step back.”
“Warwick.” Edward held up a hand. “You want to speak?”
“Your Grace, I beg of you some reason, I beg it. All I ask is my son's inheritance, their birth right.”
“And all traitors be forgotten, Edward why don’t we put the heads back on all those-” Warwick trailed off when he saw Edward's attention on Elizabeth. “Are you considering it?”
“Warwick let the woman speak.”
“I thank you your grace, you had your birth right, you would understand had it been removed, you'd wish it back.”
“Of course.”
“Then I ask you.”
He held up a hand stopping her from speaking. “I said of course, your lands will be returned.”
“I thank you your grace.” A smile from her made him turn back, his eyes drawn to her lips, pink and soft a slight gleam, the sun reflected. He stepped down from the horse and toward her with confidence.
“The pleasure is mine.”
“Edward.” The young king faced Warwick, impatience registered. “Are you sure?”
He sighed and smiled to Warwick whispering almost inaudibly to Elizabeth. “May I request something of you?”
“Your grace?”
“Come to the palace this coming night, I will meet you go with no one else, be alone.” He stepped back looking at her two sons, a quick smile and he mounted the horse. “Good day my Lady.” He turned the horse riding at a lightning pace toward the palace, Warwick once again struggling to match the young kings playful style, this time trailing behind for as long as he could manage to find where Elizabeth retreated. He'd speak to Cecily about the boys outrageous behaviour.

“He did what?” Duchess Cecily looked at Warwick, a cold anger settled deep in her eyes, a disbelief filled her voice, Warwick did not answer her question. The woman stood walking to a window looking out of the window and over the courtyard where her son's walked, all three close smiling, their spirits high. “Edward agreed to give the lands of a Lancastrian traitor to his widow?”
“Yes my Lady.”
“Forgive him father.” She crossed herself and looked at Warwick. “Are you sure?”
“Quite sure.”
The woman said no more for a moment or two. “Fetch him to me, we must speak.”
“My lady.” Warwick retreated into the courtyard, he waited a moment until the brothers turned. “Edward.”
George pulled on his brothers arm and whispered to him, a small laugh followed from both before Edward turned. “Warwick, I do hope this is a matter of importance.”
“The Duchess wishes to see you.”
“Tell her she can wait I am otherwise-”
“Now Edward.”
“Go.” It was Richard who spoke, he looked off into the distance, his eyes cold and determined, fixed on all but his brothers. Edward reached and touched the youngest's arm, he turned slowly away “Lady mother wishes to see you, don’t make her wait.”
The King turned follow Warwick's lead back into the palace and to the rooms where his mother lived, the rooms which had once belonged to the old queen, Margaret of Anjou. “You wished to see me.”
“Edward, I hear you returned the Lady Grey her lands?”
“Indeed I did.”
“What was your thinking boy?”
“She was of no fault, nor were her children and so why should they suffer?”
“Because it was her husband who almost killed you.”
“Her husband of whom she had no control, I am sure she would have prevented such if only she could have.”
“Then your certainty renders you a fool.”
“Mother, the judgement is not yours. It is my will and it shall happen, your place is not to interfere, am I understood?” he turned to leave, walking slowly he paused as her next words sunk into him.
“What is it you feel for this girl? Pity? Sorrow? Love?”
“Love? For a peasant girl? I feel a need for justice, a need for a display not offered by Henry when he was king.”
“Always the saint Edward, of course you do.”
“You doubt my intentions mother?”
“Only if you would give me reason to doubt them, you will not see the girl again.”
“You will not tell your king what to do.” With those words, hitting deep into the chest of Cecily Edward left without a further word and rejoined his brothers in the courtyard. By darkness he, under candle light, dressed in fine silks and mounted his horse rode alone to wait for the lady he'd been due to meet.