The Yorkist Rose

Sixteen

Warwick’s dissatisfaction had raised, Edward knew so quickly. His marriage had been settling with the man for several years and still he remained discontent with the arrangement. Elizabeth had born three children to Edward, when he had given the news to his friends Hastings and Warwick the men had looked at each other, Hastings with a small amount of delight, only Edward knew for his happiness and not that he thought such was good, yet it was Warwick who said what he assumed they were all thinking. “Yes three girls Edward. What good to you are girls?” he emphasised the last word, as though he expected the king to confess that a actually he was right and that girls to him were as meaningless as his marriage, which again he knew Warwick - and possibly Hastings – hoped meant little to him.

The men were fools for hoping so. Again, it was Hastings who knew from the simple look on Edward’s face that the King would not say he did not care for his daughters and wife and then beg for the wiser men to have the marriage made void, something Warwick would have happily fought for. Instead, the kings simple smile read quite the opposite and as he adjusted himself on his throne he looked out over the two men before him. “I am proud of my girls, they are growing strong despite their few years and they are as smart as any boy, as strong too.”

“Because they have a blessed father my lord.”

“Thank you Hastings.” The king smiled at the compliment, looking at Warwick as though demanding similar words from the man of stone.

“Yes your grace, such is true and we are happy for you, but surely you desire sons?”

“there is time for that!” The kings shout was a happy shout, a smile etched upon his face and his eyes gleamed, all in all he was glowing with happiness. Still a young man looking forward to a bright future, looking upon his country and at the times still to come with excitement and not anticipation. “I am a young man Warwick, there is time yet for much love making and many children more, do not curse me to have no sons so young. I am not yet thirty and you speak as though I am doomed.”
“Forgive the insult your grace, my lord Warwick did not mean it that way, I am sure.”

“Of course not.” Warwick’s smile was darling, as though nothing had gone wrong between the men, as though all had been completely forgiven between the pair. He said nothing of course but Edward could not help but recall just months before, when the Earl had kept him a prisoner. Of course the job had been done badly and Edward had almost been a free man in the house of a rich man, he had been free to do as he pleased, yet the insult of trying to hold a York had been one too great for Edward to simply push aside and forget. He had not told this to anyone, not even to Elizabeth whom he knew would feel only the greatest sense of victory to know her husband, the man she lay with on a night, the man she thought remained stubbornly loyal to Warwick was secretly his enemy, he did not trust the man yet would force no harm upon him. If nothing more he had after all proven a fierce York supporter.
Yet Edward watched the Earl with clear suspicion, a smile rested on his lips but it was not heartfelt, the smile was limited only to muscles and not eyes, the real feelings were there if Warwick wished to see them. “Hastings, I think you should give the Earl and I a moment.”

“Your Grace?” The man’s tone was suspicion, questioning and though he did not like how it sounded and he wanted to ensure Edward was not unwell. When the king followed through the order with hard eyes his young friend bowed and left with speed. He was not going to wait and find how this ended. Of course Edward knew the man would be listening to what was being said just outside the door, listening to every word, securitising. Perhaps that helped his mood, to know that it was not only he and Elizabeth who registered distrust in Warwick, Hastings had been by his side through all and remained loyal, Hastings had seen as much and not tried to keep his own king a prisoner so as to gain control. He too did not trust the Earl, the only thing Elizabeth and Hastings agreed on Edward noted.

“Edward.” Warwick spoke with a laugh, as though he knew what the king was going to say, as though he knew the king were wrong before he even opened his mouth and spoke his perfectly formed words.

“You are on wet ground Warwick, and it’s dark. I’d watch what you were saying to me and watch your attitude toward my wife, my wife by law and in the eyes of God, I am your king and you have disputed such, insulted myself, insulted my mother and insulted my father. I’d warn you against insulting my wife and children.”

“Edward, I think you must see this wrong.”

“I think I see just fine My Lord.” The words were quick, harshly spoken, a warning to which Warwick was aware, he offered a bow of respect and left without Edwards permission. It was with haste the Earl requested an audience with Cecily Neville, Edward’s mother, the woman who could control him about as well as his wife.