The Yorkist Rose

Sevemteen

“He said what’?” She was furious, utterly furious. Not only at Warwick more so at her husbands dismissive attitude, he stood half naked glancing out of the thick window and over the beautifully trimmed gardens and offered her a shrug.

“He said I needed male heirs, so he’s right.”

“And you’ll just tell him this? Warwick? The same man who held you, his king prisoner? Are you mad?”

“Elizabeth, its for the best I don’t argue with him.” He stepped away from the window and toward her, holding out a hand for her she accepted but refused to allow him to pull her close, even when his eyes fell, he looked disappointed. “Darling..”

“Edward no, you are King and should tell him that our marriage is none of his concern, you’ll have male heirs.”

“Then start by proving him wrong.” He pulled her close his arms wrapping around her, his hands over her stomach stroking as though she were already with child, his lips played softly at the skin on her neck. “Show him you can have son’s to me and he shall leave us alone,. Of that I am sure. Give me sons and you shall have not only his blessing but the blessing of my mother, the blessing of England.”

“We have the blessing of most of England husband.”

“Oh if only that were the case.” His little chuckle made her smile, her cheeks flush as he pushed her back and onto his bed he smiled “But soon, we will have.”

****

“He said that?”

“He did my lady.”

“He truly said his marriage was none of your concern, you should keep out of it?”

“Truly.”

“That boy knows nothing, hia father would beat him till he swore he was dead, and then some”

“The Duke would have been soft on the boy, accepted the marriage.”

“Only for the fact that our son would have been an earl, it could have easily been over looked but he is king and not some commoner, he cannot still throw himself away and dampen himself so, she hadn’t born him a son, she hasn’t tried.”

“My lady.” Hasting’s voice was quiet, as though he were nervous, a cat surrounded by hound dogs, a sheep in a pack of wolves, #all eyes were on him as he attempted to make a case in sticking up for the woman which he disliked as much as Warwick and the Duchess herself, he did not like the woman but if only to shut the traitors up[, they could not be caught speaking of their king in such h ways, he knew Edward did not trust Warwick already, to hear his own mother talking such ways would destroy the man for sure. “She has tried to bring the king sons, she has laboured hard already, proven fertile to girls at least, she has given him children why would he not give him sons when she has had some already?”

“Because she is a spiteful girl, a witch, she does not want to bare him sons. Why would she? She would lose too much.”

“In not granting the king a son?”

“Yes.” Warwick looked proud as he looked toward Cecily, picking up on one of her previous points,. “She has cursed the king, she wishes him only pain for she is a Lancastrian to heart.”

“George would not let this happen, if only my son George were on the throne.”

“Alas my lady I did try. Edward is just too smart.”

“He is your student.” She smiled at her nephew, bright eyes and a darling smile, he nodded and thanked her bowing quickly before leaving her presence, taking a detour past the king’s chambers, he paused, Hastings on his tail. “He is bedding her again, to no avail I could bet it.”

“You would gamble on the king’s fortunes?” The man looked at Warwick as though this were treason in itself. The Earl simply smiled at the younger man before him.

“No, I have no need,, he has gambled on his own good fortune in marrying a common whore at the side of a road, no other need gamble on his affairs.” As he continued walking the Earl looked almost happy. “If it is not a boy I’m sure he will ditch her, it’s what we can all hope.”

***

Three months had passed before the king announced Elizabeth to be with child and began to demand her wants and needs to be taken with the utmost importance. The rumours were around the court already that it was a grim, though Elizabeth had spent hours convincing Edward it was a boy, Warwick had looked at her sceptically, Cecily had used this as proof of her witchcraft. Poor Elizabeth was damned if it was, damned if it wasn’t. Warwick had told her the king was ready to leave her if she could not grant him a son, his mistress had proven able to his wife had not, surely God was trying to punish them. Of course Edward had said this was not true, he had married her for love not fertility, she knew the truth, but Warwick could easily force Edward’s hand she knew, if Cecily ,George and Richard had a part to play? She almost choked on the thought. She reached for her throat stroking the soft skin and looking a the floor, Edward caught her attention with a curious glance and he walked over to where she sat, before the table in the grand dining hall, they had been discussing arrangements for that nights banquet, he of course, always the caring husband (and father) had told her to sit, he wanted no more strain on her feet than was utterly necessary. Anything to have a healthy baby boy. “My love are you okay?”

“Fine my lord husband.” She stroked her throat gently, as though her necklace, hanging just above her breath, had been too tight.

“Your thro-“

“I am fine Edward.” She snapped, her face looking flushed. “Forgive me.” He held up a hand as though it were already done, kissed her cheek and smiled kneeling to her height.

“You needn’t worry about Warwick, he is simply lying to you, a jealous man’s lies to have you doubt me.”

“I hope so.”

“I would tell you if it were not true.” His hand touched her belly, stroking softly. “Besides, why would I hurt baby?”

“You wouldn’t its after I fear.”

“You have told me he will be a boy, what more could I ask from you?” His smile was darling, his look innocent.

“Nothing. Of course.” She smiled and sat back watching as her husband, slightly distracted rejoined the men, Hasting’s eye’s were fixed on the king, a smile of pain on his face, he whispered to her husband who in seconds was flying into a state of fury, one she had never seen before. She gasped as the pewter jug and goblets flew across the hall.

“You are sure?”

“Of course your grace.”

“Then fetch that scoundrel to me am I clear?!”

Hasting’s offered a bow and moved with speed, the other lords stepped back giving their upset king some room. Edward’s eyes fixed on Elizabeth, at first she thought she was the cause of his pain, her hand moved to her belly, for fear, reassurance and protection. He soon seemed to calm and walked swiftly over to her, taking a seat next to her,. His hand held hers. “I am sorry you saw that my wife, you should not have seen your husband so upset.”

“Is it Lord Warwick?”

A sad smile. “It is, he had stepped too far and must be put down.”

“He said what?”

“That I had damned myself and you had cursed me.”

“You are double cursed?”

“In the eyes of God so he says.”

She smiled, almost laughed as she thought of it, saw Edward’s face, his fury lay only in the fact the words had been said and not in belief for them, he laughed too, the Lords followed, she continued to laugh only for face but as her hand slipped over her belly once more, her husband’s resting atop of that she thought only several words.

God help us.