The Yorkist Rose

Twenty Two

Almost a year had passed since Anne Neville had left court, Richard and Edward had been on distant terms, Richard had accused his brother of lying after the lady had left court, Edward had claimed she had hurt him deliberately. Richard knew the truth. With all the glory of a royal Duke he entered the king’s presence bowing a brotherly bow. “Richard!” the king sounded genuinely surprised and happy to be in the presence of his younger brother. “You have come to tell me news I hear.”
“Yes brother, I wish to marry.”
“About time, who?”
“Anne Neville.”
The room was icy cold for a few moments, Elizabeth tensed, Hasting’s gulped and the other courtiers moved back as Edward’s hand gripped wood rightly. He thought for a few moments, of course he had not forgotten the events which had happened, not before with Anne and not when Warwick had asked that Anne may be allowed to marry Richard, he had refused then and felt the temptation to refuse now; if nothing more than for stopping Warwick having his own way. Something stopped him. He looked down upon his brother who waited with nervous anticipation. “Why would I deny you?”
“Brother?”
“You have been my loyal servant and never once questioned me, you came to my face to ask and I shall not refuse you. Tell mother that you are to be wed, tell her to whom and congratulate your new wife by taking her from the care of our brother George.”
“About her dowry?”
“That shall be sorted.”
Edward felt Elizabeth tense she looked a question at him, he knew she did not approve of him taking on such matters as to the dowry of a girl who was born to a traitor, married a traitor and was in her opinion no more than a common brat. Edward said nothing and a gentle hand silenced his wife. “Go forth brother.” Once Richard had, with an excited hurry, left his presence Edward looked toward Elizabeth. “Wife, I do not approve when you question me, in fron of my peers.”
“My lord husband.” She looked confused.
“You said nothing but it was obvious.”
“I simply don’t think you should be responsible for-“
“And I am not, I am do not need but want, for my brother not for the Neville girl, you will not question me regardless Elizabeth.”
“I do not husband.”
Edward was about to object when with a crashing thud and clattering shoes three children charged in their direction, Elizabeth their eldest daughter leading the way for her siblings. “Lady mother! My father the king.” To her father she curtsied, smiling as he stood and lifted her, sitting back down with her on his knee, Elizabeth’s crown resting on their daughters head, she looked over the court, a smile on her face she kissed her father’s cheek before curling up onto his knee, her head resting on his shoulder. It was the Cecily who took over her sisters words. “Edward has been cheating the games father, Elizabeth said so and he wouldn’t listen.”
“Children, your father does not wish to hear such bickering.”
“Wife, it is fine.” He stood carrying Elizabeth, Cecily attached to his arm he walked slowly crouching more to their height he spoke playfully. “Shall I tell your rotten brother he cannot cheat my beautiful princesses?”
“Yes!”
Lord Hastings watched as the king retreated with his children, a smile on the man’s face. He had always been fond of children, since the days he had been young and Cecily and Richard, Duchy of York had insisted that whilst they were away it should be Edward and no nanny who took care of the younger siblings,; Edmund, Margaret, George and Richard. It had never truly left him despite the Lord Hastings warnings, he let out an audible sigh gaining attention from the queen. “That man is far too attached to those children?”
Elizabeth offered Hasting’s a smile, cold and serious. “And you my lord Hasting’s are far too attached to that man who is my husband.” A dry smile and the queen left, her shoes clacking as she walked.