The Yorkist Rose

Twenty Four

Chapter Text

Summer 1482.

They dined together, on all appearances it was a merry occasion, the Duchess Cecily showed herself, the Duke of Gloucester and his pretty young wife – who kept her distance from the King, occasionally offered him and Elizabeth a smile, for each time returned it Elizabeth silently scolded him he knew, he did not care much anymore ignoring her was as easy as breathing now. The Princes Edward and Richard were present, playing joyfully and shouting to their father, each time Cecily Neville told them they must stop, it was quite unroyal to act in such a way, each time she looked at Elizabeth as she always had, as though the children were barely royal due to one of their parents. The princess danced, taking the hands – and hearts, of many a noble man and creating jealousy in many eligible women.

Princess Elizabeth broke away walking confidently up to her parents table curtsying low, “My lord father, would you be merry enough to dance?”

Edward’s eyebrow raised, he glanced between his wife and daughter, the look of the previous one suggested he would die in his bed if he refused, the look on the face of the latter longed for him to accept. He smiled and stood moving with easy grace from behind the table taking his daughters hand, bowing slightly he kissed her fingers, a gesture of respect, love and of course, Chivalry For a few moments the music stopped, all eyes were on the king and his daughter, a stunning girl of sixteen, wearing fine white silk she stood tall –by her father’s genes, a size middling between her father, standing at six feet four and her mother, closer to five feet, her hair a perfect ginger wave her eyes the sweet hazel, she took the great attributes of both her parents in equal measure. A look from the king demanded the music to start, with speed he lead, showing dominance to his daughter he’d, years ago, have shown to her mother. The queen watched in apparent indifference as her husband and daughter lead the show before her, Gloucester and Anne leading second, even Duchess Cecily found a partner to dance with and enjoyed the merriments. She watched as the Princess Elizabeth and Cecily argued over who should next dance with their father, of course always the loving parent he agreed on should dance with him and one with their brother Edward, swapping places occasionally.

it was barely an hour before, exhausted, her husband joined her at the table, kissing her cheek and whispering. “Our daughter shows the beauty you used to, she is you through and through.”

“Except where she’s you.” Her tone was cold, noncommittal, she barely looked at the man she had once been passionate for, she had once wanted to bare the children of. Longed to. She couldn’t help but notice the look of apparent joy on |duchess Cecily’s face, the look of worry of Princess Elizabeth’s as she pushed her husband away slightly, the first public gesture of their unhappiness. He sighed and nodded signalling to Hastings asking the Lord for more wine, in large quantities before he had the stomach to eat. Ate he did, fine foods in larger quantities than the drink.

By nightfall, close to ten Edward walked his son’s to their chambers, the boys had requested to share, joking, and completely reminiscing the times long ago between he and Edmund, the king had told the boys they could share only if they spent the night sleeping and not talking, they had both lied, with a darling smile, and said their intentions were to sleep. He of course was no fool, the boys would still be talking at the pitch black hour of midnight. He’d chosen to took them in, despite his mother’s objections and then he had spent some moments talking to them, Prince Edward had shown an interest in his father’s past, hearing of Towton and Tewkesbury, the king had explained them to him with monotone recollection, and told the boys he wished they’d never do the same. Events like those he was far from proud of. Then he had left.

“Father.”

He had turned to see Elizabeth, a concerned look on her face as she stepped close to him, taking his hands. “Are you alright? Today, you and Lady mother you-“

“All is fine Elizabeth.” He lifted a hand away from her and brushed the hair away from her face. “All is always fine and nothing for you to worry your head about. The girl nodded, seeing her father was upset but wishing not to push, it wasn’t for a moment when she was about to walk away she noticed her father wince, he looked away quickly fighting not to move his hands.

“You are hurt?”

“no more than normal, you should turn to your chambers before it’s too dark to see.”

“And leave you? No, I’ll escort you.”

“If you insist on helping just send to hasting’s so I can tell him there is no need for help.”

“But-“

“Elizabeth.” His tone was strict, she knew he wanted no women there, let alone his daughter, the girl who looked like the woman she felt had hurt him. She fetched the Lord Hasting’s who hurried, taking Edward’s weight he walked with the man, slowly watching as the king’s eyes closed, his hands clenched, the only way to deal with the pain.

“Your Grace, I have to ask..”

“Mention nothing.”

Hasting’s nodded helping the king to sit in his chambers, he looked away wishing not to once again witness what had, for months, been the secret of two great men, the secret Edward had tried too hard to hide. The king took the feather and forced himself to lose his dinner coughing #, tears in his eyes as he tried to gain breath. Hasting’s called for the help of a servant to clean as he himself helped the king into bed spending the night by his side, not leaving even as the man fell to sleep , drip white and shaking. Hasting’s wanted to shout for the physician, to help his friend but a part of him knew the cause was lost, this once strong hero was now a broken man with nothing more to beg for than his children to continue his legacy, he had been done for years.
♠ ♠ ♠
Some sensitive issues are touched in this chapter, I apologise if any nerves were touched, speak to me if this has cause distress or upset and I shall do my best to guide you to the right people to help.