The Yorkist Rose

Twenty Seven

Chapter Text

They arrived at Windsor, soaked but merry, Cecily greeted them with a cold smile before she guided her son up the steps. He laughed and joked only for a few more moments when he saw his queen standing by a fire holding their youngest in her arms, Bridget's tiny hand reached out and her eyes hit the floor, she let out a cry and called for her mother as Elizabeth handed her over to her nurse maid before approaching her husband and before their children, Lord Hasting's and his mother laid a hard and sharp slap across his cheek. "You will never do that again!"
The room was silent with shock. Edward's hand resting on his now red and stinging cheek, even he seemed to know not what to say to his wife, to either comfort her or scold her for her actions. Instead he nodded and turned, walking fast away from his wife to his chambers where he sat, changed and in a soft gown of cotton before a burning fire. Cecily was the first to pay call to him, curtsying before him. "My son." She approached and held up her hand as he tried to stand and kneel before her. "No." She walked to him placing a hand on his head, her fingers gently stroking his hair. "Consider yourself blessed, no need to move." her hand moved to his forehead she gasped and stepped back. "The fire, it's too hot move away."
"I am so cold mother." His eyes pleaded, as though he were a three year old child still in Reoun asking his mother for just a few more minutes play before bed, as though she could move him if he said no, as though she were in charge of this man's actions, she smiled, motherlike and nodded.
"Very well, you should rest if you are so cold." She curtsied again and smiled leaving quickly. "My Lord Hasting's!"
The lord approached quickly bowing to the Duchess. "My lady?"
"My son, he is ill. Sit with him, if he so much as sniffs I want a physician in that room, he is to be bed ridden at a cough, do I make myself clear? Nothing, I repeat nothing can be too safe. He is king of-"
"It is rich for you to say such, when you wished George on the throne and not Edward." Elizabeth approached the woman, both parties offered their pleasantries, the duchess and lord offered and curtsy and bow before the Duchess smiled, coldly and moved away muttering the words which Elizabeth knew she would, claiming it was he fault that the king had done such a stupid thing anyway. Both women Elizabeth felt agreed that only one person was to blame, all eyes were on Hasting's as he once again bowed and turned toward the klings chambers. "You're not going in there my Lord Hasting's"
"Your Grace?" His tone was sharp, cold.
"I wish to see my husband. Find out if he intends to dine with us."
"Your grace." The man nodded and bowed and turned with a swish of the cape which slapped her leg, his nose in the air he walked with his back straight, clearly a sign of insuklt to her. Only because she knew the man hated her. He'd damned her to hell uncountable times simply for breathing. She was over it, she entered her husband's presence chamber offering him a warm smile. "You'll dine with us tonight? The salmon is being cooked as per your request." "I'll eat with you, for the children." She watched and almost cried as he looked into the fire, his hand reaching his cheek rubbing. He was completely unaware of what he was doing she knew that, she approached sitting on the chair opposite, leaning forward, her breasts on display, his eyes caught them briefly, her hands held each other on her lap. For some moments she said nothing before she reached to him holding his hand. "Edward, I do love you. Can we not leave it all behind?" He smiled sweetly and nodded before standing, looking at her. "Wife stand." "What? Edward.." "If we're quick I could go to dinner satisfied." "How quick do you expect us to be?" She laughed standing close to her husband, his breath gentle on her skin "You're never quick, a man so experienced-" He kissed her lips and pulled her close. "How long does it take to cook salmon?" "I'd not know." "I'd say we have atleast an hour." With delight on her face, they left for his private bed chamber leaving the groom outside to speak to Hasting's should he try to see the king. *** The dining hall was well set, the finest eating tools, the fire burned hot behind them. Elizabeth couldn't help but notice Edward edging ever closer, keeping his warmest clothes on and rubbing his arms before looking at her smiling. She was about to ask him whether he was truly up to this or should he be in bed when the children entered, all six (for prince Edward was at Ludlow), their faces lighted by big smiles of excitement. Bridget, the youngest barely three years old ran to her father sitting straight upon his lap. She did not bother to ask his permission, or even look to her mother to check it was okay, she instead greeted the man with a hug, a quick cheek peck and a few kind words before she rested her head against his chest and fixed her arm around him. She listened silently to his heart her eyes closed. For a moment Elizabeth thought she saw tears in their youngest daughter's eyes, only for a moment before the girl looked up at her father and smiled that day brightening smile. "I love you papa" she looked to everyone in the hall and smiled brighter, her eyes fixing on Lord Hasting's who stood at the end of the room "I love the king of England." "And the King loves you princess." Hasting's words were offered with a smile before Edward, weakly and with little enthusiasm pushed the girl from his lap telling her to be seated by her mother, reluctantly the girl did her eyes staying on her father the whole time. The food was brought through and placed on the table, Edward ate first, reluctant to ask for help but clearly needing it he served himself in as tidy and royal manner as he could manage, an attempt Hasting's tried to hide by offering his hand which Edward pushed away with speed before eating only a small amount and slowly. "Husband?" Elizabeth whispered quietly away from the children. "Are you well?" "Just cold." "I insist you go to bed, get warm, stay warm. I'll have food brought to you, ale too if it pleases you, anything for you to be in bed." "No." "Edward." "I said no." "very well." Elizabeth nodded returning to her food, her eyes never truly leaving her husband just as Bridget's never left him. After food they drank, spoke of merry times and aong each other, the older among the group laughed only for good humour, for manners, their minds were occupied as the king edged ever closer to the fire, asking for his capes to be brought to him he wrapped in them by nightfall. The Princess Elizabeth remained by her fathers side as long as she could before the king ordered her away, for he was tired and wished to sleep. Hasting's walked with him to his rooms. "Today was enjoyable." "I'm glad you thought so your grace." "Enough with formalities, shall we talk as friends?" "Of course, if that pleases you." The king slowed his walk and spoke more quietly. "Do you think I did well?" "To catch the salmon? very." "No, at dinner." "You were off, but you swam in the Thames and carried me, I am certain you are just tired." "I am exhausted and-" he broke off, resting his hand on the wall stopping his walk completely, he took a deep breath and closed his eyes. Hasting's face was one filled wth concern. "Edward?" "It's nothing." "Are you sure?" "I wish my bed." He moved, taking two steps before his eyes closed again, this time he fell to his knee's before Hasting's caught him calling for help.