The Yorkist Rose

In Time Dark.

The discussion arose the next day, the Duke sat with Warwick and the Duchess, Edmund sat quietly as he gazed out of the window watching as George played happy games with Warwick's daughter Isabelle Neville. The Duke was clearly dominating the conversation. “Edmund must go, does he know how to fight?”
“I have not taught him-”
“Edward taught me how to swing a sword, I can fight.”
“Nonsense, he is just a child.”
“Lady mother, Edward is a child too, you are fine when he fights, I would fight myself for the cause if father would allow it, but he will not.” The voice was that of Anne, she spoke confidently much to the Duke's distress.
“No, you are a girl and cannot fight, I will not so much as consider it.”
“Lady Mother.”
“Edmund, no you will not fight.”
The Duke stood and looked down at his wife. “The boy will fight, whether he likes it, you like it it bothers me not, he will fight and you, as my wife, will obey me and not question.” The man turned to Warwick. “Edmund shall be taught, this will slow our plans but not foil them.” He turned leaving the banquet hall. “I wish to see my son.”
“But my Lord, the Earl is away.”
“Where? He is ill, in confinement.”
“My Lord, are you unwell? What ails you for you sent the boy away the night last, claimed the city air was no good for the boy.”
“I did nothing of the sort. You sent my son away?”
“God forbid I have sent the boy to harm, I should have known.”
“With whom did he go?”
“A man my Lord, he wore a red rose upon his-” She stopped and he words were replaced with sobs as the Duke's hand collided with her cheek, with swift movement he lifted the woman throwing her against a wall.
“If you have murdered my son I shall see you hang for your foolishness wench.” he dropped her to the ground calling for Warwick who hurriedly met the Duke.
“My Lord.”
“That Anjou bitch has my son.” Both men walked passed the sobbing maid, Cecily Neville ragrded the woman only for a second offering her a cold glance before following the men.
“Richard! You should not pursue this!”
“Why? Cecily she has our son. Our Edward, me heir.”
“You have three more. We touch on dangerous ground, the rumours Richard.” Tears were brimming in the woman's eyes stopping her saying more.
“In not pursuing this darling, I risk the rumours returning more. He is my son is he not?”
“Of course.”
“That is all I need, I will fetch the boy.”
“Richard, I'd rather you had your head.”
The conversation died out quickly after that and the men left with speed.