The Yorkist Rose

Towton

The Battle of Towton,
March 28th 1461

Three months had passed since the death of Richard of York, Warwick sat on his horse at the front of the battle field, next to him Edward remained silent, his orders had been given before they had reached the field, he had made clear the methods he wanted to use, Warwick was relaying the message in his own words, using his own tactics which Edward recalled had failed once before and if they hadn't then his father might have still been alive.
“Take no survivors.” Warwick looked at Edward, the order had come from him. He sighed and elaborated. “If I find a man standing for the house of York take a survivor I will kill them myself.”
Warwick needed no further confirmation. The young Duke was telling no lies.
Warwick waited, watching as Edward turned his horse, watching, the young man was tense, he wanted to go back an hour, tell him how to resolve that. Too late, Edwards right hand fixed tightly around the sword waiting a moment he held the sword up. “For York and for King Edward!” The echo of the words was incredible as the inventory ran forward, swords drawn, the archers firing as they got closer to their opponents, Edward jumped from his horse, Warwick moved to late to stop him as he ran into the field.

Several hours of pain, of screams, of cries later Edward emerged, blood covered but successful, the field was red, every step he took was over another body but he finally rejoined Warwick and mounted his horse. “I needed a bit of fun.”
Warwick laughed and followed Edward's lead. “My Lord, you could have got that from a noble lass.”
“Wouldn't have had half the blood spill, nor the head count.” Edward stopped, hearing the news of Margaret of Anjou fleeing to the Scottish border, with that Warwick unmounted and bowed before shouting.
In just a second, with an army bowed before him Edward retracted his thoughts months before, he could think of nothing he wanted more than to be King. That feeling didn’t fade as he added 90 death warrants to the entertaining headcount he was talking about.