The Yorkist Rose

A New King

London, July 1461

The court was grand, the audience huge, such pretty colours on such a grand occasion Richard and George had never seen. Their return to London had been recent, first they had stopped in York, only to be received by cheers and pleasantries their move to London had been quick, Warwick had greeted them for their brother, the king was otherwise engaged. George had gibed, claimed that meant that Edward was whoring, Richard hadn't known what that meant but the way he said it, he was sure their brother would not do such a thing. It didn't sound honourable. For the eyes of a nine year old boy, although the sight was impressive, it was intimidating. No option had been made for him to see his mother, something he had asked Warwick to be allowed. It was not the business of a prince to see his mother when he was so old.
He was not a prince, was he?
Warwick led the boys through the palace, Richard clung to his older brothers arm despite George's determination to rid himself of the grip as though it were a disease he wished not to be near. George's nerves had too got the better of him as the approached the banquette hall, only to hear the music and shouting and calls and tapping, crashing of pewter on more pewter and laughing. It was Richard who first stopped dead in his tracks. Warwick paused with impatience “Boy whatever is the matter? Do you not wish to see your brother and celebrate your houses success?”
“I do, very much my Lord Warwick, but I fear it much too.”
“Brother Richard, it is just a celebration, what harm could come to you at the hands of our brother and some wine and food?”
“I wish to see our lady mother George.”
“You are a prince now and son a man, to see mother now would be to show the weakness of York Richard she will be at the celebration I am sure.”
“Very well.” He nodded and released his grip on George before the doors opened, they heard the trumpet sound, a man shout.
“Your grace, your brothers Richard and George.” The room bowed to them, Warwick nudged them forward and they walked slowly reaching the front it was Richard who bowed first before his brother, followed by George and Warwick, when the Earl looked up, his cheeks flushed to see Anne Neville, his youngest daughter sat upon the Kings knee, on her head his crown rested much to big on her little skull.
“Edward forgive me.”
“Nonsense Warwick, I invited the child to sit.” He turned his attentions to George and Richard. “Brothers, how it pleases me to see you. Lady mother.” The young king called for her attention, she stepped forward offering her son a small curtsy. “I believe Richard could do with some attention of yours, it would please me for you to spend time with him.”
“If it pleases you Edward.”
“Which it does. Now, have George some wine and his fill of my food and I shall be happy.” A bow from Warwick as he turned the boy away to proceed with the Kings request saw a happy court filled once again with music and laughter.