I Got You

Chapter 7

Annie entered the New Year as Mrs. Carter, she and Wayne were married the previous summer. Dana wasn’t being herself. She started shutting everyone in her life out. She’d lost her baby three days before she was to have an abortion. She flipped out completely. She had started drinking and smoking. She also started cutting herself. Annie was at home with Wayne crying. Wayne didn’t know what to say to her anymore. Everyone was at their wits end with Dana and her bullshit. Dana’s shit was putting a strain on Annie and Wayne’s marriage. Annie’s phone buzzed. Dana’s name flashed across the screen.

Bye. –Dana
What? –Annie

Five minutes had passed and Dana had still not replied. “Something’s wrong with Dana. I can feel it.” Annie said jumping up from the sofa. “Well then we gotta go.” Wayne said grabbing his keys. They drove way beyond the speed limit to get to Dana who still lived with her parents. Annie burst through the door. “Dee!” Annie shouted running towards the stairs. “Annie, what’s going on?” Dan asked getting up. Annie didn’t answer him. Instead she just ran upstairs to Dana’s room. When she opened the door she saw her sister lying in a pool of blood with her body convulsing and foam coming out of her mouth. “Dana!” Annie shouted. Her sister didn’t answer. Annie ran to the banister and called Wayne. “Call 911!” Annie shouted and ran back to her sister.

Annie, Wayne, Louise and Dan sat in the waiting room for what felt like forever. “The James family?” A doctor with grey hair called out. Dan and Annie stood up. “Are you the parents?” The doctor asked looking at Annie strangely. “I’m her father and this is her sister, Annie.” Dan said. “Your daughter has lost a lot of blood and suffered a drug induced seizure.” The doctor said. “Will she be okay?” Dan asked fearing what the doctor may say next. “She’s stable for now, but we’ll only know tomorrow. It seems as though Dana tried to commit suicide. She’s very lucky to be alive.” The doctor said. “What makes you think she tried committing suicide?” Dan said not believing the doctor. “She took an overdose on drugs and cut herself a half inch deep.” The doctor said with no emotion on his face. Dan didn’t say anything, nor did Annie. “If I may ask, who found her?” The doctor asked. “I did.” Annie said stepping forward. “I’d like to know what happened if you’re up to it.” The doctor said sitting down. “I don’t really know. I was at home with my husband when it happened. I got a text from Dana saying ‘bye’ to which I replied ‘what?’ When I didn’t get an answer I knew something had to be wrong with her. I had a strange feeling in my gut the whole day. We have a kind of twin thing. I know a lot of people say it’s just our imaginations and quite frankly doc I don’t care whether you believe me or not but I know when something’s wrong with my sister. I can feel when something bad is going to happen to her.” She said. “I believe you. Now tell me what happened next.” The doctor said edging her on. “When I didn’t get an answer my husband and I went to my parents’ house where Dana still lives. I ran upstairs to her and when I got to her bedroom, I found her convulsing in a pool of blood. That’s when I told my husband to call 911.” Annie said fighting back the tears.

Wayne and Annie went home after she spoke to the doctor. Annie didn’t want to see Dana yet. She didn’t feel up to it. Wayne didn’t blame her, but he knew that things were probably getting even more strained between him and Annie now that Dana had done such a stupid thing. That night when he went to bed, Annie was fast asleep. He knew his chances of getting some were now really zero.

Wayne was lying in bed working on his laptop when Annie started stirring. “Baby.” She mumbled. “Right here.” Wayne said barely looking at her. Annie sighed and turned onto her stomach again. Wayne disregarded her and carried on with what he was doing on his laptop. “Wayne.” Annie mumbled again after a while. “What is it Annie?” He said softly. “I miss you.” She said lifting herself onto her knees and sitting down. “I’m right here.” He said. “I know, but baby I miss you. I miss you so much.” Annie said. “Baby, I’m right here.” Wayne said not understanding what she meant. Annie was getting frustrated with Wayne. She took his laptop and it on the bedside cupboard. “Annie what are you doing?” Wayne said in an almost annoyed tone. “Baby, I need you and I want you. I miss you calling me shawty. I miss you.” Annie said getting on top of him straddling him. “You have no idea how long I’ve waited for you to say that to me.” Wayne said and kissed her hard. “Baby, I’m sorry I let Dana and her bullshit come between us. I really didn’t mean for you to feel left out and unwanted.” Annie said caressing his cheek. “I understand. She’s your sister and she’ll always be a part of your life. She needed you and I get that.” He said softly. “But that doesn’t mean that I can shut you out, and not fulfill your needs and desires.” Annie said softly. “What kinds of needs and desires?” Wayne said with a cocky smile on is face. “You tell me.” Annie said winking at her husband. “I like the sound of that.” Wayne said winking. “I thought you might.” Annie said biting her bottom lip.