It's Complicated

Chapter 10

It took months for Annie to get a restraining order against her father. She and Wayne returned to New Orleans to graduate. After graduation, Annie went back to the place she once called home. Every room in that house held a painful memory. The kitchen, the place where her father loved to beat her and burn her on the stove. The living room, just one of the places he loved to rape her. The bathrooms, where he used to beat her head against the basin or side of the bath. Her bedroom, the one place she was supposed to feel safe was the one place that she feared every night when she went to bed, she feared that he would come in and rape her or as he called it ‘teach her a lesson’. The one place in that whole house that she felt safe was the garden. She knew that if she played in the garden instead of in her room, he wouldn’t be able to hurt her in fear that someone might see him.
 
Annie was grateful of Wayne. She knew that she probably owed her life to him. If it weren’t for him, an angel sent from God, she would’ve been dead by now. Wayne was the only boyfriend she ever had that didn’t break up with her as soon as he saw the burns on her breasts and stomach. He thought she was beautiful regardless of what her body looked like on the outside. It wasn’t her fault that her father treated her the way he did, in Wayne’s opinion you had to be half mad to mistreat a beautiful ‘shawty’ like Annie.
 
The night of graduation, Wayne took Annie out celebrating. “There’s something I wanna give you, but first you have to answer a simple question.” Wayne said with a sneaky look on his face. “And what would that be Mr. Carter?” Annie asked. “That you’d become my Mrs. Carter.” He said pulling a ring out of his pocket. Annie started blushing. “That doesn’t sound like a question to me. Sounds like more of a statement if you ask me.” Annie said crossing her arms playfully. Wayne rolled his eyes and got down on one knee. “Annie, would you do me the extraordinary honor of becoming my Mrs. Carter?” He said pouting. “Of course!” She said and threw her arms around him. Wayne loved her and she loved him and that’s all that mattered.