It's Complicated

Chapter 2

When Wayne got to college the next day, Annie was sitting in the Amphitheatre crying. He stood by the door watching her, not sure if he should go to her or not. “Wassup man.” Aubrey said putting his arm around Wayne’s shoulders. “Nothin wassup with you?” He said looking up at Aubrey. “I got a date with little hottie over there tonight.” He said pointing at Annie’s friend Katherine. “Nice.” Wayne said looking at Annie again. “Wayne!” Jenna shouted from across the hall. “I got you man.” Aubrey said and went to distract Jenna. Wayne sighed and walked towards Annie who was sitting on a bench with her knees drawn to her chest and her head buried in her knees. “Why are you crying?” He said putting his hand on her knee. “Go away Wayne.” She said turning away from him. “I aint goin anywhere till you tell me what’s wrong.” He said persisting. “I said go away Wayne!” She shouted looking up. Wayne paused when he saw her left eye was bruised and her cheek blood red. “What happened to you?” He said caressing her cheek. “I don’t wanna talk about it.” She said looking away. “Hey I got time.” He said smiling. “I don’t. I have to go to class.” She said standing up. “Ditch with me.” He said grabbing her arm. “What?” She said turning back. “You look like you need a ditch day.” He said smiling.
 
Wayne took Annie to a part of town that she’d never seen before. “Where are we?” She asked looking out the window of his red Lamborghini. “Holly grove.” He said pulling up to a house. “What are we doing here?” She asked looking up at him. “I live here.” He said holding his hand out for her to get out of the car. She took a deep breath and followed him into the house. “Hey momma.” He said to his mom who was busy in the kitchen. “Hey baby. Who’s this?” She said smiling at Annie. “Just a friend.” He said simply. Annie smiled and waved. “Good heavens child what happened to you?” Cita said caressing Annie’s cheek. “Momma.” Wayne said looking at his mother. Cita smiled and went back to what she was doing.
 
Annie sat on Wayne’s bed looking around. He had a lot of posters of himself hanging on his wall. Wayne started unbuckling his jeans. Annie paused. “What’re you doing?” She said nervously. “Relax. I’m just changing. These pants get a little itchy after a while.” He said pulling on another pair of black jeans. Annie nodded her head. “Who’s this?” She said showing Wayne a picture frame of him and another man. “That’s my ‘dad’” He said smiling. “Your ‘dad’” Annie said with a confused look on her face. “Yeah. His not my real dad though, we just have that kind of relationship. He calls me his son and I call him my dad.” Wayne said laughing. Annie nodded and put the picture back where she found it. “Can I ask you something?” Annie said sitting down again. “Sure.” He said smiling. “Where’s your real dad?” She asked nervously. “I don’t know him. He left us when I was still a baby.” Wayne said looking away. “Sorry.” Annie said softly. “It’s okay. So now that you know some stuff about me and my family, how’s about you tell me more about you and your family?” Wayne said looking at her. “There’s nothing really to tell.” Annie said softly. “Come on there’s gotta be something you can tell me. Got any brothers or sister? What do your parents do for a living?” He said persisting. “My mom sells real estate in LA and my dads a lawyer.” She said looking away. “Any brothers or sister?” He said still not quite giving up. “I had a brother and a twin sister.” Annie said still not looking at him. “What happened to them?” He said softly. “My brother died when I was six and my sister lives in LA with my mom.” She said simply. “How come you don’t live with your mom?” He said still persisting. “She hates me. That’s why she left us.” She said fighting back the tears. “That’s not true.” He said putting his arm around her shoulder. “It is. My dad tells me that every night. He blames me for their divorce. That’s why he did this to me.” She said pointing to her eye. “Your dad did this to you?” He said looking at her with a shocked look on his face. She nodded. “You’re staying here tonight.” Wayne said standing up. “No I’m not.” Annie said softly. “Yes you are.” Wayne said looking at her seriously. “What’s your mom gonna say about a stranger staying over?” Annie said raising an eyebrow. “Lets find out.” He said and disappeared down the hall and returned a few minutes later. “You’re staying here tonight.