It's Complicated

Chapter 7

During her last three classes, Annie was restless. She couldn’t wait to see Wayne. She hadn’t seen him since lunch. She missed him. Wayne sat in his poetry class staring at the ceiling. “Mr. Carter, are you paying attention?” The lecturer asked. “Yes.” Wayne said looking forward. No matter how hard they tried, the other one’s face kept popping p in front of them. Annie couldn’t concentrate at all, if it wasn’t Wayne’s face pooping up in front of her, it was his scent filling her nose or the feeling of his arms around her distracting her. The same thing was happening to Wayne. Annie’s scent kept filling his nostrils, her smile kept popping up in his mind and the way she held onto him when she was afraid or when they were hugging kept distracting him.
 
When the time came for their writing class, Annie ran to the building on the far side of the campus. “Annie!” Katherine shouted. Annie stopped dead in her tracks and turned around. “You forgot your binder.” Katherine said handing over the binder. “Thanks. See you tomorrow.” Annie said and ran off again. Wayne was leaning against the wall with on foot up against it. His face lit p when he saw Annie running towards him. A huge smile spread across her face when she saw him standing in front of her with his arms open just waiting for her. “Wayne!” She whispered as she threw her arms around him. “Hey shawty.” He said and pulled her against him kissing her hard on the lips. “Carter! Johnson! Inside, now!” Mr. James shouted. Annie and Wayne chuckled as they filed into their seats. “This isn’t a damn sex Ed class you know.” Mr. James said looking at them seriously. They nodded.
 
The first hour of their two hour writing class went by fast, but by the second hour Wayne started getting bored. He started kicking Annie’s chair to get her attention. “Wayne quit it!” She hissed. “I’m bored.” He whispered back. “Me too.” She said sighing. “Carter, Johnson shut up!” Mr. James shouted. Annie threw her hand in front of her mouth to prevent herself from laughing. For the remainder of the second hour, Annie and Wayne wrote letters to each other. Annie and Wayne were about to leave when Mr. James called them back. “Carter, Johnson. Your assignments please.” He said stretching his arm out towards them. “But sir they’re not due till next week.” Annie said. “From the notes you two were passing around I assume you’re done. Hand them over.” He said getting impatient. Annie and Wayne sighed handing him their papers.
 
When Wayne and Annie got to the front where his car was parked, a black Mercedes Benz was standing waiting for them. “Jo-Anne, come here!” Her father shouted. Annie froze and started hyperventilating again. “I said, come here!” He shouted walking towards them. Annie’s heart started pounding. She turned around and ran away from him and Wayne. “Shawty wait up!” Wayne shouted and took off after her. Annie outran them both; after all she was the star athlete in high school. Wayne changed his direction towards his car. He knew exactly where to find her. He drove towards the amphitheatre. Annie sat on the bench crying. She ran over to Wayne’s car and jumped in. “I gotta get you outta here.” He said hitting the gas. “I can’t.” She said shaking her head. “Yes you can.” Wayne said not taking ‘no’ for an answer.