Status: Done!

Let's Ditch This Rodeo

Let's Ditch This Rodeo

August 2014
Adam's POV
I took a deep breath as I heard an instrumental version of your song begin playing. The doors of the church opened and my jaw dropped a little. She looked stunning, her wedding dress fit like a glove on her body. I saw a flash and I turned to see the photographer smiling at me. I looked back to Gabbie and she smiled when she saw me. Her dad was going to give her away to me. She finally got to front and I smiled at her. She smiled when she saw for once I was speechless. I looked at her dress and she smiled at her dad. The song stopped playing and I looked at her dad.
“Who gives the bride?”
“Her father. Take care of my baby”
“I will” I told him.
He did not like me when I met him. Then again when you have a background like me, well I wouldn’t either. The wedding went on really fast and soon…I was kissing my wife, Mrs. Burish. She pulled away and smiled at me.
I smiled at her remembering the first time I met her.

Flashback to July 2012
*********

Adam’s POV

Physicals…why does one need them? I look healthy come on guys I play for the NHL! If I were injured you would see it!
I sighed and leaned back on my chair. I looked up when I heard a wailing sound. My guess paramedics, I turned my attention to the door and I saw as the prettiest girl dragged in a moving gurney in. She began talking with the nurses saying a bunch of talk that I did understand, but she talked at like a thousand miles per hour. I saw as a guy about her age jogged in. He began informing the nurse as well and I watched as the petite woman looked around. She spotted something and she jogged over. She leaned down and began getting some water. She took a sip of it and sighed in relief. She was really pretty; no she was gorgeous to put it better. She was a good 5’3 and she was definitely curvy. I somehow found myself walking over to get something to drink. She was oblivious to it all as she looked down at her phone. She looked up and gave me a smile. She had the nicest eyes I had seen.

“Hi” she said taking a sip of her drink.
“Hey” I said.

She smiled and got some more water.

“So what brings you here?” she asked.
“Physical” I said.
She made a face and I nodded.
“Working all day?” I asked.
She nodded and looked at me.
“Yes I stop working at midnight” she said.
I nodded and she looked at me.
“New in town?” she asked.
I nodded and she took a sip of her water. I took a sip of my water and she smiled.
“So where are you from?” she asked.
“Wisconsin” I said.
“Ahh I see. You must really love cheese and country” she said.
I laughed and she looked at me.
“Been there before?” I asked her.
“Yes when I was looking at colleges to go to. I got into Wisconsin, but I chose to go to UCLA instead” she said.

I nodded.

“Have you always lived in California?” I asked.
She smiled.
“Yea as much as I want to leave I don’t have the heart to do it” she said taking a sip of her drink.
“Gabbie time to go”
She nodded and looked at me.
“Good luck and welcome to San Jose Adam” she said waving at me as she walked away.

End of Flashback
*************
Present Day
August 2014 [Adam's POV]

I looked at Gabbie who was looking around. We could hear the people inside the salon.
“you seem happy” I told her.
She looked at me and smiled.
“Of course I am. I just got married to the guy I love” she said.
I smiled at her.
“LADIES AND GENTS! MR. AND MRS. BURISH!”
Crazy in Love began playing and Gabbie walked in. She was pulled away from me because her parents wanted to take a few pictures. Elton John’s Your Song began playing and I walked over to the guys.

“Hey guys” I said.
“where’s the bride?”
“she is with her parents” I said sitting down.
“Dude I cant believe this…who would marry you” Sharpie said.

I rolled my eyes and his wife hit him.
“Patrick that’s rude” she told him.
“I know I’m just kidding with him” He said looking at me.
He smiled.
“And you thought you messed up when you asked her out”
I groaned and looked at Kaner.
“Shhh” I said.
Logan laughed and took a sip of his beer.
“It is bad, it’s a good thing she likes dorks” he said.
I rolled my eyes and remembered when I asked her out and our first date.
***********
Flashback!
Adam’s POV

I don’t know but when she got out of the car I looked at her and asked her out. I had dropped her off after her bestfriend had left her at a club. I didn’t exactly see her at the club. I had gone to the McDonalds across the screet to get something to eat. She was there so I ate with her. I then offered her a ride home. She refused and then she finally let me take her home. I was a mess because I don’t think she understood the first time. I had stuttered out that we should hang out and grab a bite to eat. How smooth of me right? I ladies man Adam Burish was nervous around this girl. She blushed red when she realized what I had asked. She nodded and looked at me asking me when the last time I had, well had a home made meal. I gave her my answer and her eyes widened. So it was set, in a few hours I would be at her house and she would cook me a meal. I guess that’s nice right.

“So what’s her name?” Sharpie asked.

Patrick Sharp, he was and is like my best friend. We really do go way back, back when I played for the Chicago Blackhawks. I got traded to Dallas after winning the cup with them and well now here I was in San Jose.

“Her name is Gabriella” I said.

No one responded so I turned to my laptop.

“Dude is she a paramedic?”
I looked at him and nodded. His mouth fell a little and I looked at him.
“What?” I asked.
“Dude…. she’s like on the list” he said.

Oh the list. Basically platonic loves for most NHL players. Those that made the list were those who would never give an NHL player the time of day.

“Really?” I asked.
“Yes everyone likes getting hurt when you play against San Jose”
I laughed and he looked at me.
“Dude Gabbie? I’ve met Gabbie before and she’s a very pretty girl. She changed Maddy’s diaper the other time”
I laughed and continued getting ready.
“So she’s making you dinner?”
“Yes she is” I said.
“Well I’m going to tell you this now” he said.
I walked over to the laptop and saw he had his little daughter on his lap.
“What?” I asked.
“Her virginity….not to take. If you do and then well never see her again…she will make your life a living hell. Well not her…that friend of hers. The Zac Efron lookalike.” he said.

I remembered the other paramedic she was with that day.

“ok…she’s nice and well it’s a date it’s not like I’m going to marry her” I said fixing my jeans.
“True. Huh…that’s funny you marrying Gabbie….Oh she’d never do something that stupid”
“Whatever I’m heading out” I said.
“Bye!”

I closed my laptop and got my keys. I took a deep breath and looked at myself in the mirror. I shouldn’t be worrying, it’s just a date. I drove to her house and I looked around. There were no cars there and it looked empty. I jumped when I heard a dog barked and I backed away a little from the fence when I saw the huge dog bark at me with its sharp teeth in plain view.

I took out my phone and dialed her number. She didn’t answer so I decided to be traditional and leave a voicemail. I’m such a loser.

“Hey Gabbie I’m out front…kinda like you said to do. There’s a big dog” I said looking at the dog who barked even more.
I heard a car door close and I looked up.

“Sorry there was traffic” Gabbie said fixing a bag on her wrist.

I nodded and saw she was dressed pretty casual. A pair of shorts covered some of her legs. She was wearing a simple purple blouse and she had sandals on.

“Where were you?” I asked.
“Getting wine for my mom” she said.
I turned as I heard a door open.
“Here you go mom” she said.

Wait she lived with her parents?

“Come on” she said getting my arm and she opened the gate.

The dogs began barking and she whistled. The dog ran to the back and she led the way. Oh so she doesn’t live with her parents. I looked around at the well plot of land her parents owned. She opened the door and let me in. I looked around and she disappeared for a few minutes. She came back and looked at me.

“Would you like water?” she asked.
“Sure” I said.

I followed her into the kitchen and I saw she had a pretty big home. There were a few pictures of her and also of children. She had a baby in her arms and was smiling at the camera.

“My nieces and nephews” she said noticing that I was looking at her pictures.
“Need help?” I found myself asking.
“Sure” she said smiling.
I walked into the kitchen to see her moving dough around.
“We are making Pizza” she announced.

I smiled and she opened a cabinet.

“To take away any tension” she said pulling out a bottle of wine.
I looked at it and nodded.
“Peach” she said reading the label.
“My friend got it for me when I turned 27…whoops…old wine is good wine” she said.
I laughed and she poured herself a cup and also one for me.

She took a sip and began moving the dough again. She began stretching it and I looked at her.

“What do you want on the pizza?” she asked.
“Uhh…what can we put on it?” I asked.
She looked at the fridge and I walked over to it. I opened the fridge and saw a few little containers. I pulled some out and saw one was the sauce. I put it next to her and looked at her.

“We have a lot of things to add to it” she said.
I smiled at her.
“We’re making more than one?” I asked.
“Of course. You can take some home and I can have some for lunch” she said.
“Well it has to have peperoni…lots of it” I said.
“And cheese” she added.
I nodded and I helped put the sauce on the spread dough. I actually had fun doing this. The pizza ended up having Peperoni and green and red bell peppers. The other one had Jalapenos and olives and peperoni. She put them in the oven and she opened her fridge. She pulled out a bowl and opened it.

“Fruit?” she asked.

I nodded and she filled up a little bowl with little small balls of fruit.

“I have nieces and nephews who are here in the afternoon” she said.
I shrugged and nodded.
“They get some odd shaped fruits” I said.
She laughed and I took a sip of my wine. She took the cups and put them in the sink. She washed them quickly. She wasn’t even sweating and I felt like a sweat would be breaking out.
“You must be hot” she said walking to the AC control. She turned on the air even more and she looked at me.
“You can take off your button down it looks like you have a white shirt under” she said.
I nodded and slipped it off. She got my hand and took me to the living room. She sat next to me and turned to look at me.
“Let’s get to know each other” she said.

One thing led to another because we ended up talking and…well we kissed. We ended up going on a few more dates and well then the lockout came. She was there for me, running with me, telling me that the lockout would be over and I would be playing my best because I was healthy and obviously ready.

End of Flashback.
************
The guys laughed at me and I rolled my eyes. I got up and looked around.
“I need to go find my wife” I announced.
“Look how cocky he is”

I grinned and walked away and over to Gabbie who was talking with her mom. Her mom smiled at me and I looked at Gabbie who smiled.

“Hello Mrs. Burish” I said.
She laughed and pecked my lips.
“Hello Mr. Burish” she said.

She looked around and I turned to see the food being served. There were two options, you could get steak or you could get sushi or what not.

“You look beautiful” I mumbled into her ear.

She smiled and looked up at me. Her brown hair was in a nice bun and some hair was out.

“thank you. The haircut suits you” she told me as she played with the buttons of my shirt.

I smiled and looked around. I saw as Gabbie’s dad began talking and well he talked about how Gabbie was his youngest and how he thought she was never going to get married.

I laughed and I saw as Sharpie got up. He walked over with his wife, who happened to be Gabbie’s bridesmaid. Her and Abby got to know each other real well and since Gabbie hadn’t talked with her old best friend since she met me, well…she needed new friends. Sharpie said his few words and so did Abby. I got the microphone and handed it to Gabbie who smiled.

“Thank you for being here. I know Adam is a real jackass sometimes, but that’s why we love him”

I laughed and looked at my wife.

“You know he got mad at me a good year ago. The day he told me he loved me.” she started.
I looked at her and she looked up at me.
“He had just lost against the kings in the Playoffs….
I remember that day very well. I had asked her to marry me, and she said no.
*********
Flashback May 2013

Loosing in the playoffs is horrible, and really horrible when you loose to the defending champions. The kings brought up a good fight and well did the Sharks. I sighed and began changing. I had done a few interviews and I was beyond tired. I just wanted Gabbie to walk over to me and you know tell me everything was going to be ok.
I heard the locker room door open and I looked up. Gabbie, with her Jersey I had given her when she came to my first game was walking over to me. She pulled me into a hug and kissed my cheek.

“If you would have played you would have beat those kings” she mumbled.

I know she was just saying that to make me feel better. Quick was a great goalie and I had a feeling he would be going to Sochi to represent the US, and well hopefully bring back gold.

“There’s always next time” she said.
I nodded and she pulled away and pecked my lips.
“You ready?” she asked.
I sighed and nodded. I stood up and she walked over to a very sad Logan Couture.
“Next time honey” she said.
He nodded and she kissed gave him a squeeze.
“Pass by my house tomorrow” she told him.
He nodded and she hugged him again. She pulled away and walked over to me.
“Let’s go” she said.
She got my hand and pulled me over to the elevator. I pulled her into a kiss and she pulled away.
“Now Adam” she mumbled.
“Let me make love to you” I mumbled.
She pulled away and smiled.
“No” she said.

I looked at her and she noticed the glare I was giving her.

“I’m going to give you a full body massage instead…and then you’re going to let me pamper you” she told me as she dragged me to the parking lot.

We got to her house and the dog didn’t even bark. I walked in and she let go of my hand when her mom called her name. She responded in Spanish saying she was with me. She closed the door and I walked into her bathroom. I changed into just a pair of boxers. I hadn’t slept with her, but I had seen her in panties. No we hadn’t seen each other naked, but you know I felt comfortable around her. I walked over to her room to see her looking at a bottle of something. She looked up and smiled.

“Lie down” she said.
“Doc said not to get any massages” I said.
“Well Doc said I could give you your massage. You’re fine now” she said as she pushed me on the bed.
I sighed as she straddled my lap. She was wearing some nice shorts and that shirt made her breasts look.

“Now Adam, tell your friend to calm down” she said as she let the lotion poor on my chest.
“You’re a cruel woman you know that” I mumbled as she began rubbing my chest and shoulders.

“I am doing nothing” she said.
I groaned cause that felt really good.
“You just let me take care of you” she mumbled.

She pecked my lips and continued giving me a massage. I guess I fell asleep because when she nudged me I was on my chest and I had drool on my face. She giggled at me and helped me sit up.

“I love you” I mumbled as I leaned on her.

I froze a little and I felt her begin to play with the ends of my hair. I looked up at her and she smiled at me.

“I love you too Adam” she said.

“Let’s get married” I mumbled.
She laughed.
“Not yet Adam. We wait” she said.
“How much longer?” I mumbled into her shoulder.
“Well when do you want to marry me?” she asked me.
“Tomorrow” I mumbled.

I liked being able to lay with her and do absolutely nothing.

“That’s to soon I don’t have a dress” she said.
I looked up at her and she smiled.

“After playoffs next year?” I asked.
She nodded.
“It’s settled. You, me, and Stanley” she announced.

End of Flashback.
************

“And look at Adam now. Two time Stanley Cup Champion” she said.
I smiled at her.
“I’m just going to say this quick because I’ll start crying” she said.
The people laughed at her and she smiled.

“thank you for being here and taking your day off. Mom and dad thank you for working your asses off to give me what I had. I know you guys were hard on me sometimes but I love you guys” she said in Spanish as her eyes watered up.

There was a translator behind her so whatever we said would be translated onto the screen

“Adam’s teammates and friend. I want to thank you guys. Not for the gifts or anything like that. You guys welcomed me into your little family and I felt welcome. So next time you guys need anything I’m a phone call away,” she said.

I took the microphone from her.

“You call during the honeymoon ill kill y'all,” I said pointing at the tables that were full of NHL Players.

They laughed and I began my speech. Basically said the same thing as Gabby and I also said I would learn Spanish. I understood it I just needed to learn how to speak it. I let them eat and we all sat down.

“And now for the first dance!”

I looked around for Gabbie and found her walking over to me. She smiled and I pulled her closer to me. The guys and everyone began laughing when a Shania Twain song began playing.

I felt my eyes get watery when I recognized that voice. It was Gabbie’s voice. I looked up and saw a slideshow of pictures of us began showing.

“Hey no crying you’ll make me cry” Gabbie said.
I laughed and looked at her.
“Too late” I croaked out.

She smiled and kissed my cheek and I buried my face into her hair. We swayed a little as the song continued playing. The song was over and we cut the cake. They crowd laughed as Sugar Sugar by the Archies began playing as the cake slices began to be passed around. I looked around and saw the toddlers had began dancing. I saw her mom telling her about a bouquet. Gabbie nodded and they handed her a bouquet.

“I know mom” she said.
They called for the entire single woman’s and non-married ones well…there were a lot.

I laughed as She’s a Lady began playing. Gabbie smiled at me and she pretended to throw her bouquet. She laughed and she began dancing and she threw her bouquet. She turned and I walked over to her.

“You’re horrible,” I said kissing her cheek.

I helped her up on a chair and I laughed as they called the bachelor’s. Gabbie laughed and helped me pick up her dress.

“Arg” I said pretending to dive at her leg.

She giggled and she nodded. The crowd laughed as the James Bond theme began playing. I bit the Garter and pulled it down. I took my time and when it got to that dramatic part in the song I lifted it. I wiggled my eyebrows and Gabbie laughed at me. I walked overt to the guys and winked at them…. might as well give them a show. I finally decided it was enough time of giving a show and I threw it back. I turned around and laughed as a bright red Logan Couture looked at his girlfriend who was smiling at him as she held the bouquet in her hands. Father Daughter dance and Mother Son dances soon came and well I danced with my mom. She was crying the whole time.

“Come on mom” I said.
“I just thought you were never going to get married,” she said
I scoffed.
“Way to have faith in me” I said.
“I know I know. You made a good choice”
I smiled and nodded.
“Thanks Mom” I said.

I looked up to see Gabbie hugging her dad. I felt a tap and I looked up. My in law. I smiled at her and my mom kissed my cheek.

“You know I didn’t like you,” she said.
I smiled at her and she laughed.
“I know you didn’t,” I said as we began dancing.
“Take care of my baby,” she said.
I nodded and looked at her.
“I will,” I said.

She smiled and the song ended. I walked over to Gabbie and smiled
.
“Let’s leave,” I mumbled.

She laughed and got the microphone.
“Let’s PARTAY!” she said as a Spanish song began playing.

I laughed as almost everyone got up and walked to the big dance floor.

“Not yet” she told me as she began dancing.
I sighed dramatically and began dancing with her.
“You’re a tease,” I said fixing her dress.
She laughed and fixed her dress.
“You’ll get to rip it off later on,” she mumbled
I groaned and she laughed.
“You’ll live” she said.

I danced with her and hung out with the guys who weren’t dancing. Gabbie’s cousins were not shy or bad looking so a few team members who weren’t married were out in the dance floor.

“I want to leave already,” I said.
Patrick laughed and looked at me.
“Well go tell her, it’s a good time to leave,” he said.

I looked at the time and nodded. I walked over to Gabbie who smiled at me and nodded.
I smiled at her and she pulled me closer.

“Last dance remember,” she said.
I groaned and she laughed.
“Oh quit whining,” she said.
“Now go say bye to your friends” she said walking away from me.
I walked over to the guys and smiled.
“So what’d she say?” Toews asked me.
“To say bye to you losers,” I said.

They laughed and I began saying my goodbyes to Gabbie’s uncles and what not. The dance floor was once empty and I smiled and walked over to her.

“Ready?” I asked her.

She smiled and she leaned on my shoulder. She buried her neck on my neck and she began swaying as the song began playing. It was a song by some dude she liked listening to. Uh what’s his name Alejandro Fernandez? Well it was Te Quiero, Te Quiero. I liked the lyrics so we chose that song as our last dance. I smiled down at her and she grinned at me when she saw I was waltzing.

“I did good huh,” I said.
She smiled
“Of course Mr. Burish” she said.

I pecked her lips and the crowd went wild. The song looked like it was going to end, but it didn’t I just laughed as the DJ said our names and said to clap. The song finished and I leaned down to kiss her.
“Lets ditch this rodeo” She said pulling away.

She shrieked as I picked her up and waved at the crowd. Finally some alone time….
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you guys liked it! I don't know who the next oneshot will be of, but you guys can comment and give me suggestions!