Status: Finished in an hour or two :] All in one go!

Sacrifice

Sacrifice

Jezebelle embraced the sister of her heart one last time. “I love you, Lily. This is the hardest thing I’ll ever have to do.” Jezebelle blinked back tears.

“Please, don’t do this Jezzy. Whatever it is, we can work this out. We can work anything out.” Lily pleaded with her best friend, her sister since she first stepped foot onto the Hogwarts Express.

“If it’s a choice between your life and my happiness, I’ll always choose you,” Jezebelle whispered. “Take care; always keep your wand with you. I wish you and James the very best.”

Before Lily could protest again, Jezebelle had disappeared. Lily fell to the ground against the wall and sobbed, crying her heart out. James found her not a minute later, and immediately took her into his arms. His wand was out; a mysterious note had tipped him off to find Lily in the Room of Requirement. “James,” Lily cried, and James’ heart was torn to pieces for her. “Jezzy said…she said goodbye…and that she wished us the best…” James kissed her forehead and murmured calming things into her hair. He knew- one of their best friends had now joined the other side.

~~~

Lily sported a rather large bump. She sang softly to Harry and rocked him back and forth in the living room while James talked to Sirius in his enchanted mirror. Harry was almost a year old. There was a possibility that their daughter would be born on the same day as he was! She thought of Jezebelle, and sang her favorite song- Behind The Crimson Door. “Your love will be the death of me…”

Meanwhile, Jezebel stood tall in a rich black cloak and stunning dress. Neither mattered much to her, but they had been a reward from the Dark Lord and would suit her purpose today. “My Lord,” she swept into an elegant curtsy, eyes trained on his handsome but evil features.

“Just in time,” Tom Riddle turned to address one of his favorite followers. “I was about to summon you, yet here you are. Have a seat.” Jezebel inclined her head in acknowledgement and sat in the purple armchair opposite of the Dark Lord, in the study of Riddle Manor. “You look exquisite in your attire. What do you think of it?”

“It is, in your own words, exquisite,” she answered.

He was pleased. “And what do you think of the prophecy, Jezebel?”

“Are you seeking my opinion, my Lord, or my advice?”

“I will have all of your thoughts on the matter.”

“I first have a question of my own, my Lord.”

“You may ask it.” Tom’s red eyes bore into her mahogany ones as Nagini wound around their legs.

“Have you marked one as your equal? There are two who may fulfill the prophecy, although Severus and Wormtail are aware only of the one they have betrayed.”

A smirk crossed Tom’s lips. “Indeed. And one whom you have betrayed as well is it not?”

Jezebel did not flinch, or even betray a sliver of emotion as she looked into his eyes. “Yes.”

A satisfied look crossed Tom’s face as he leaned back in his armchair. “I have chosen the son of James and Lily Potter, who have thrice defied me. I will personally destroy the child at the end of this month.”

Jezebel did not answer, but waited for him to bid her to speak. She was never reserved, so he was well aware that she had a question without probing her mind. Tom smirked. “What have you to say, Jezebel? Come now, the quiet does not suit you.”

“I have a request, my Lord.”

Tom was intrigued and amused. “You may ask it.” Nagini slithered up and over Jezebel, who responded only by lifting her fingers to stroke the nearby scales. To himself, Tom felt approval burn in his mind. This woman was capable of extraordinary things, if only she would let him guide her. At what price would it come? The Potters would have to die. He knew this for certain. She loved them, and that was her biggest weakness.

“I implore you, my Lord. Wait another two months. Destroy them then.”

“Why do you wish this, dear Jezebel? Do you plan to warn them? Would you betray me and thwart my plans?” His voice lowered into a hiss, filled with menace as he encountered the Occlumency block in her mind.

“No, my Lord.” Jezebel answered simply. “I wish only for my once-best-friend’s son to reach his first birthday before his life is taken.”

Her mind block was irrelevant to Tom’s ability to see through lies. She was speaking the truth. He relaxed in his chair once more. “Let’s say I agree to your terms. What will you give me in return?”

Jezebel closed her eyes for a moment. In one second, every loving memory of the Potters and their friends flashed behind her eyes. She opened them again and faced the Dark Lord.

“Anything.”

~~~

Severus Snape was disarmed and at the mercy of Albus Dumbledore, on the school grounds of Hogwarts. “Hide her, hide them all. I beg you,” Severus pleaded. He had made the greatest mistake of his life. Lily, Lily. He had to save her.

“What will you give me in return, Severus?”

“In return?” Severus looked into the eyes of the only man who could possibly save the woman he loved.

“Anything.”

~~~

Two months passed in the blink of an eye. To the oblivious Potters, it was bliss. Remus and Sirius were overjoyed at the birth of little Jazzalyn Lily Potter, named after a friend dearly loved and lost. She had Lily’s looks, from the hair to green eyes. However, all three present Marauders were absolutely certain that she would have James’ full personality, making Lily facepalm.

Remus had to go, so all five of them, including Harry and an excitable baby Jazzalyn, hugged him goodbye. Sirius decided to give the parents time alone with the new daughter and start shopping for her immediately. “Later, mate.” He embraced James tightly as Lily began talking about naming Severus Jazzalyn’s godfather. As his backside still stung from the last time he opposed the idea, he would simply disapparate before a single word slipped out.

Almost immediately after Sirius disappeared, the door was blasted open. “Lily, take the kids and run!” James shouted, diving for his wand that he’d set down while holding his children. He shot a spell at Voldemort, who deflected it and sent one in return. With one sudden flick of his wand, James Potter was dead. Stepping carelessly over the body, Voldemort ascended the stairs to the second room.

“Please, spare them. Kill me instead!” The redheaded witch who held the hearts of two of his most dedicated followers knelt in front of his target.

“Step aside. Your death is not necessary.”

“Please, spare them! Spare my children!”

“Step aside, you silly girl!” This was her last warning.

Lily Potter shed tears for her children, who she would never be able to hold in her arms again.

“Avada Kedavra!”

~~~

Jezebel’s reign as the Dark Queen ended after a long two months. She did exactly as she was bidden with no questions and no hesitation, including opening her mind to Tom Riddle and sharing his bed. She shed no tears, but prayed every night for Lily and James and Harry to be safe. Something told her that there may have been another child born to her dearest friends. Unlike many of the others, her identity was kept a secret. Tom was incredibly possessive of her and her abilities, and she was always to wear a mask and possess two wands. There was only one problem left to her now that he was gone- she was with child.

~~~

One year later, Jezebel sat in the dining room of Spinner’s End, holding her 6 month old twin daughters Isabella and Affinity. “How was your first year of teaching, Severus?” She handed him Isabella, who was calmer with him despite both girls’ adoration with their godfather.

“Fine,” he grumbled. “I have the position of Potions master, but not the subject I want to teach.”

Jezebel nodded absentmindedly, deep in thought. She needed to show him now- his emotions were balanced enough and he was would never do anything rash around his goddaughters. But how could she speak of Lily, the girl who held Sev’s heart since he was ten?

“You’re thinking about her, aren’t you.” He stated.

“Of course I am, Sev. I always do.”

“I wonder how she was, without me for the last five years. If Potter had poisoned her against me, or if I had already done that to the fullest extent on my own.” Jezebel placed her hand on his arm.

“She never stopped loving you any more than I stopped loving her, after I left her to join her enemies.”

“But that was because-”

“-I know. She knew as well. There’s something I have to show you. You weren't ready for it before- we both know that.” Severus watched wonderingly as she lifted a golden locket from beneath her shirt and kissed the front. It opened, just a crack, and a letter flew out, expanding to a normal size. Severus caught it, brows drawing together at his name addressed in an unfamiliar scrawl.

Severus Snape,

Before you destroy this, I want you to know how sorry I am for what I put you through at Hogwarts.


Severus’ eyes flicked to the bottom of the letter, signed James Potter. But from desperation to know more about Lily, he set his wand down and continued to read.

I’ve talked a lot about you with Lily over the years, and I now know without doubt that I was wrong. There’s nothing I can do to give back what I took, and I realize that. You already know about Harry, no doubt, but Jazzalyn is a well-kept secret. We, Lily and I, want you to be her godfather. Despite our different sides, and our past, if you accept, then perhaps we can have a fresh start.

Sincerely,

James Potter

P.S. Lily says hello, and she hopes to see you soon.


Accompanying the letter was a picture of Lily and Severus in their first year, smiling and waving from a tree branch. Tears coursed down Severus’ face as he held Isabella. Isabella reached up and wiped some away. Severus swallowed and took a deep breath. “She…she forgave me. The letter was from Potter- he apologised and asked me to be Jazzalyn’s godfather.” He handed her Isabella, and Jezebel quickly placed her children in their crib, casting a silencing spell.

“SHE FORGAVE ME! SHE WAS READY TO ACCEPT ME INTO HER LIFE AGAIN AND I BETRAYED HER! I CONDEMNED HER AND HER FAMILY, AND MY GODDAUGHTER TO DEATH!” Sev screamed, falling to the floor and wailing in pain. Tears fell from Jezebel’s eyes as well but she didn’t say a word.

After twenty minutes of silence, Jezebel whispered “She’ll always be alive in our hearts. If she could speak to us, she would want us to look after her children, Sev. Love her through them. If you do this, I know she would forgive you.” She conjured a beautiful silver frame around the picture of young Lily and Sev, then cast a spell to preserve it and protect it, as well as the letter. Then, she left him to his emotions and regret.
♠ ♠ ♠
Done in more or less an hour, inspired by the quote above. It made me tear up the first time, and it definitely deserved a story. This is one way I imagined things to be, if the plot were just slightly altered. All characters belong to J.K. Rowling besides Jezebelle/Jezebel, Jazzalyn, Affinity and Isabella Gaunt. Linked are adult pictures of Affinity and Isabella, but I have not decided to write a story or sequel. Jezebelle is not a Gaunt, but decided that it was a safe and little-known name for her children, also tying them to their heritage.