The Beautifully Tortured

Session One

Glancing up at the clock above the door, Castiel witnessed the minute hand strike the number 4 and sighed. He stood up and strode over to the open door where he peered out to find the waiting room still empty.

“Anything, Claire?” the doctor asked the secretary, to which she shook her head and gave him a sympathetic smile. He retreated back into his office, leaving the door open in the hope his newest client would show up, and took out his journal once he was seated again.

Castiel Novak was a patient man, he always had been. But one thing he didn’t tolerate was tardiness, no matter who he was waiting on. And with every minute that passed the hour, his patience wore thin to the point where he couldn’t sit still.

“What’s up, Doc?” a deep voice said from the doorway, causing the doctor to look up and refrain from glaring. Though he had never met the man before, he knew exactly who he was.

“Dean Winchester. You’re late.”

“Yeah, sorry ‘bout that, I had some stuff to do,” Dean replied vaguely as he shut the door and looked around the pristine office. “So, you got a name or do I just call you Doc?”

Standing up and walking around his desk to lean against the front of it, Castiel scrutinized the man. “I’m Doctor Novak. You had requested a psychotherapist.”

“It was actually my brother who made the appointment, not me,” the brown haired man snapped. “I’d rather still be in bed.”

The doctor kept his composure, portraying the straight expression he had mastered so well. Inside, all he felt was a bubbling rage. But his professional mindset began to take serious notes on his demeanour, his obvious anger issues showing right through his blasé exterior. He appeared to be a textbook case.

“What’s your brother’s name, Dean?” Castiel asked smoothly, requesting a simple piece of information to which he could progress further with. He knew the usual introduction was out of the question, so he had to take a different route.

The brunette glanced over at the doctor before looking back at the wall of books that stood before him. “Sam.”

“Would you mind telling me about Sam? What’s he like? Is he older or younger?”

A deep sigh filled the room before Dean answered the questions. “Sammy, well, he’s a good kid. A real good kid. He’s younger than me but he’s a smart guy and he’s doin’ well for himself.”

“I take it you two are close, then?”

“Yeah, we’re all we’ve got.”

Castiel nodded his head as he stored the information in a mental folder marked Winchester, D. His anger was easing off and he felt like he was getting somewhere with the new man.

“What happened to your parents?” And as soon as the words left the doctor’s mouth, he knew it was too soon to ask such a question.

“Why the hell do you wanna know about them?” Dean snapped, turning to glare at the man. The atmosphere in the room thickened instantly and it was clear Castiel had struck a nerve.

“I would just like to know you better, Dean.”

“Well that stuff is none of your goddamn business! So ask me something else not relating to my family.”

“Dean, calm down. I need to get to know you so I can help you. Everything said between us stays in this room, you have nothing to worry about.” One thing Castiel could do in any situation was keep a clear head. No matter how worked up his clients got, he was always an anchor for them. He just needed Dean to understand that.

“What makes you think I even need help?” he growled darkly as he glared, sending a small wave of fear through Dr. Novak which he quickly controlled.

“Then why did you come here?” he questioned, his eyes piercing into Dean’s. “You could have easily cancelled or not shown up at all. Or was that your plan to start with? Is that why you were late?”

“The only reason I’m here is to make my brother happy, but I’m not even sure if it’s worth it.”

“From the little information you’ve told me, it’s apparent your brother cares about you a whole lot more than you care about yourself and, to some extent, him. His good nature seems wasted on you, Dean, when all you‘re being is selfish.”

“You shut your mouth, you son of a bitch! You don’t know anything about my brother and I so don’t tr-”

“I’m pretty sure I know a lot more than you think, Dean. For one, you have issues with your parents and brother which need to surface. Two, you’re far too angry and hostile to have any chance of a healthy life. And three, you’re oblivious to how much suffering you’re putting your brother through, who is probably the only person who can stand to be with you.” Castiel took a deep breath and relished in the fact his prognosis was correct, or so it appeared to be due to the expression the man in question was wearing.

The room was silent for a minute, the two men staring at one another; Dean, looking ready to pounce, and Castiel, seeming to be collecting himself. The doctor believed the only way to get through to Dean was to be harsh. The more ruthless he was, the more his words would get through to him.

So when the livid male turned his back and headed for the door, Dr. Novak spoke up again. “That’s right, Dean. Run away, just like you probably do with everything else in your life that doesn’t go your way. I hope you realise just how disappointed your brother will be when he finds out how selfish you truly are.”

The brunette stood still for a moment, his hand on the door handle waiting to escape. The room was silent until a grumbled “Go to hell” was said and the office door was thrown open, the client storming out while Castiel remained in his place, fuming yet slightly anxious.

Because, although he believed Dean Winchester needed the reality check, there was also the possibility he had stepped over the line. He may have done more damage than good.
♠ ♠ ♠
We hope you are intrigued already!

Thanks for reading.