Over the Love

III

Molly and Dave's flat was packed with crewmembers who look old enough to be out of college but no older than thirty-two. Molly, dressed in a crop bustier top with a pink skater skirt showed me around and introduced me to several people.

"So where in America are you from?" Molly asked over the loud music as she sipped from her red plastic cup.

"New York City," I replied as I tried to speak over the music as well. I'm sure all of England could hear the music from the flat. Oddly enough, none of the neighbors complained. Most likely because they joined the party.

"Ugh, you are so lucky," Molly gasped. "I've always wanted to go there!"

"You wanna trade living places? I'll take her and you take my place in NYC?"

"Tell me you're serious and you've got a deal."

We chuckled and mingled around some more when Molly stopped and hugged a girl who was sitting in the living room with a couple people. The girl had chestnut curls ending to her mid-chest with brown eyes and a slight tan tone.

"This is Vanessa, the hair and make-up extrodinaire," Molly introduced. Vanessa smiled and in a surpsing American accent, she greeted," You must be Isabelle."

She shook my hand and I exclaimed," You're American?!" Vanessa laughed and replied," I'm from the boring state of Michigan."

"New York," I told her. "I'm actually from Philidelphia but I moved to Texas for four years and then went to college in New York City."

"Oh, really? I love the city," Vanessa remarked taking a sip of her drink.

"Do you know who this one is dating?" Molly asked me with the biggest grin on her face. Vanessa chuckled and I shook my head.

"This one is dating Matt Smith," Molly told me as she shot Vanessa a little wink. "She's snogging the eleventh doctor."

Vanessa was now favorite person on Earth.

"Well not anymore he won't," Vanessa commented. "He just let out a statement last week that he wouldn't play the doctor anymore."

"Oh yeah, I heard about that," I chimed in. "How do you feel about that?"

Vanessa shrugged and replied," It's his choice and it was difficult but he wants to venture out and do other things. All I care about is that he's happy and that he's ok with it."

It was easy to see how Vanessa didn't see Matt Smith the way most people saw him. She knew what his job was but she wasn't affected by it one bit.

Molly had to go off and help Dave with something, so Vanessa and I bonded right away. We talked about the places in America we've been too and our favorite places in New York.

Vanessa studied hair and make-up for stage and screen at a small college in California four years ago. Her professor had connections to BBC and hooked her up with Moffat. Moffat sent her to "Sherlock" and she moved to England and had been with the show since season one.

Vanessa met Matt Smith at a BBC party and they made a bet where if she won, he had to take her out to dinner. The results led to a nine month relationship leading up to now.

"What about you?" Vanessa asked me as she sipped her drink. "Are you in a relationship?"

I shook my head and took a large sip . After swallowing , I told her," I broke up with this guy I had been with since freshman year of college this past January."

Vanessa pouted and said," I'm so sorry to hear that."

"I'm fine now," I assured her," but it definitely took some time to move on. I have a habit of never letting things go, but I don't think much of it now."

Truth was, I hadn't healed fully from it. There was still so much that I held onto and couldn't seem to shake off.

"Oh look who's here," Vanessa noted with a smile as she looked off to the side. I looked over and in walked Benedict. He was talking with one of the set design guys when his eyes caught mine. He finished his conversation with the guy and made his way over.

"Oh, you," Vanessa greeted Benedict in a monotone voice. She then laughed and gave Benedict a hug.

"Good to see you Nessa," Benedict told her. "How's Matt?"

"Busy. I think he's wraping up filming in Detroit and then heading back down here for a bit more Who work."

"I heard he was retiring. As long as he's happy."

"Yeah. Oh, have you met -."

"Isabelle," Benedict cut her off as his eyes looked back to me. I smiled and greeted,"Nice to see you again."

With my face every shade of pink, I shook his hand and replied," Yeah, you too."

There was an awkward pause among the three of us. I was completely thrown off by Benedict's presence that I had no idea what I was to do or even say. I took another sip, hoping to spark a conversation starter. Nothing.

Shit.

"So, congrats on the Star Trek movie by the way," Vanessa finally spoke up as she looked at Benedict. "I heard your breaking hearts and ovaries."

I nearly choked on my drink from laughter but managed to catch myself before anyone noticed. Benedict laughed and replied," Fans are the most amusing people."

"Are these the Cumberbitches?" I asked. Little did they know, I was one. Where was my fucking Oscar for pulling that off?

"My Cumberpeople," Benedict corrected me gently. " I'm not a fan of the 'bitches' bit, but yes, my Cumberpeople."

Vanessa then stood up and announced that she had to get back to her flat. She had impeccable timing alright. She hugged the both of us goodbye, leaving Benedict and I to converse alone.

"How long will you be in Cardiff?" Benedict asked me.

"Until...I think August 1st," I said scratching the back of my neck. "Because I start up school August 20th and I know I'll be back before that."

Benedict gave me a confused look and cocked his head back.

"How old are you?" he asked me.

"I'll be twenty-two July 2nd. I'm going into my final year at college."

"What's your major?"

"Drama. I'm looking at careers in screenwriting and acting."

I had expected him to laugh at my response and mumble a cocky ''Good luck", but his smile remained. Like he actually took interest in my studies and major. I wondered if he was for real or if he really was just a good actor.

"Well, I would be more than happy to be of any assistance," he informed me. "That is, if you would like."

Benedict Cumberbatch offering his help to me was equivalent to a One Direction member offering to go to some teenage girl's prom. To somewhat quote Brando, Benedict Cumberbatch made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

" I would love that," I accepted with a huge (and probably dorky) smile. "That's incredibly generous of you. Thank you."

"Anytime," Benedict said with a smile.

It was that moment when everything and everyone else in the world disappeared and the only two left was Benedict and me. For a moment, all I saw was him.

Just for one moment.