Sequel: Elysian
Status: In Progress

Restless Insomniacs

Yale

I feel lighter than air, and that might be because I made Daria laugh or because I just smoked a joint I am no longer sure but it doesn’t seem important, nothing seems important next to Daria. I chew on my bottom lip as I walk the familiar path to the one house I have found solace in during the past, Oli’s small ranch style home with more weeds than flowers and crumbling exterior.

Oli like me comes from humble backgrounds, his dad not unlike mine split years ago and left his mother with kids and a mortgage. Oli’s mum works nights at a diner in the main part of town and mornings at a bank, so she is rarely around making it the best place to sneak beer and weed on early Sunday mornings, not unlike tonight.

I make my way past familiar houses while families sleep trying to be careful to not raise any alarms, a suspicious teenage boy stumbling over his feet is sure to draw looks from happy families. I have just left Daria after spending the night in her room watching the stars fall from the sky and be replaced by the sun. It is 6 am and I am bone tired but for some reason I don’t head home, I head to Oli’s and I think it might be because I am feeling a rare beat of happiness and I want to share some of it with my best friend.

My weed has been smoked so I pull out a cigarette and light it in the morning dusk waiting for the wind to blow out my lighter. I climb the porch steps to Oli’s house puffing away on my nicotine stick and without bothering to knock make my way in the small family home. I find Oli and Remy out the back sitting on the ground, inside I hear the TV and find Stomper passed out on the couch. I know in half an hour we will all have to scram as Oli’s mum comes home but I don’t really mind. I just don’t want to be alone. I could have stayed at Daria’s but she was sleeping and she looked so peaceful it made me feel like I was disturbing her being there, I couldn’t sleep and I didn’t want to ruin her sleep so I slipped out without goodbye and now I kinda feel like a jerk for just deserting her.

“Yale” Oli slurs with a tip of a beer bottle in my direction, I smile as I walk out the screen door and fall into a heap of heavy limbs between Oli and Remy, Remy purrs like a kitten at the sight of me. “Where the fuck have you been?”

“With Daria” I suppose I could have lied but it all seems so futile and what is the big deal anyway? Daria and I are friends; we can hang out in the dead of the night… right?

“Of fucking course” Oli says with a loud laugh followed by an obnoxious burp I barely notice I am too busy stealing his beer and taking a long sip, it’s warm and has lost its fizz but it still goes down easy, easy enough anyway.

“Shut up” I reply tipping back the beer bottle and my neck to get the dregs of the drink down my parched throat,

“You totally like her” I can’t help but notice how Oli sounds like a thirteen year old girl it brings a smirk to my face, “You should tell her, too many people pass up on love these days”

“Love?” I choke, the beer congealing in my stomach at the thought,

“How sweet seems our little Yale here is in love” Remy purrs placing a hand on my thigh, in the morning sunlight Remy doesn’t seem like such a bad idea especially since Oli is talking about love.

“Jealous?” I purr back at her with a wink,

“Of her? Please!” Remy says with a laugh that feels more forced than genuine. She glides her hand a little so it is resting higher up on my thigh, close to my penis and I suddenly want to touch Remy and possess her in every way I have in the past, I feel guilty even thinking such thoughts.

Remy climbs into my lap and for a second I completely forget about Daria, I just focus on how good it feels to be touched,.I know I should push Remy off me but I don’t, I can’t she smells so wonderful. Remy moves her lips to my necks and starts sucking it in the way she knows I like I let out a small moan, completely forgetting for the second Oli. But he grunts beside me and I remember him and I remember Daria, I push her from my lap and readjust myself.

“Fuck off” I can’t help but feel dirty, like I have betrayed Daria in some primal and awful way.

“What?” Remy asks and I can tell I have hurt her feelings, I would normally never reject her but things are different now, I’m different now, and that seems really important to me all of a sudden, like it might make up for the fact I was momentarily seduced.

“Please Yale you know you want me,” But I don’t think I do, not really not in the way I want Daria, and that strikes me as funny enough to elicit a laugh,

“Stay away from me Remy” And I think I might mean it, like really mean it and again I feel so bubbly inside I could laugh and I do, a short sharp laugh that surprises everyone, including myself.

“Fine then I’ll just have to tell your girlfriend you fucked me right under her pretty little nose” I probably should have expected this from Remy but it still catches me surprise, how much hate resides in this tiny girl.

I don’t know if it is the weed making me feel so light but I am suddenly certain if I weren’t holding this beer bottle I would float away and that seems like a wonderful thought to float away from Remy and her viciousness. But I can’t and I am stuck spewing words of hate, “Do it and I’ll hurt you”

“You wouldn’t touch me”

I think of Stomper in the next room and smile, “I don’t have to touch you to hurt you” Remy takes my threat as what it is and quickly stands excusing herself, I think she might be crying but I no longer really care. It is only when Oli shakes his head at me and goes after her do I realise I might have crossed a line. Remy while not showing it is sensitive and whether I want to admit it or not she has feelings for me and threatening her brother might not have been the nicest way of telling her my feelings are less than reciprocal.

But then again what do I care? She was only a quick fuck when I got bored. She is nothing and I do mean nothing compared to Daria, and I feel light again like I might float away and I hope if I do I float to Daria so she can ground me with her kisses.

It’s the weed I assure myself, but somehow I am no longer sure and I can’t help but think of Oli and his proclamation of love… I don’t love Daria… do I?
♠ ♠ ♠
Updated and Edited.