A Love Like War

senior year.

Lexi's POV

Senior year it is.

Waking up, I came to the realization that summer is over and I've done nothing productive over the past three months. It was a morbid feeling, considering the fact that I had a long period of time to do a lot of things. I even had a Summer Checklist way before summer. My mom actually wrote it for me in hopes I could do something with my friends, like improving my dance routine, organizing our make up, trying out different nail polishing techniques and so on. But all I ever did was go on the Internet until late night in my sweats and go on Omegle, chatting with random strangers from all around the world.

It's not like I don't have friends to hang out with during summer. I do. Maybe I don't. The student body thinks my friends and I are one royal clique, but I feel nothing. We've been friends since Freshmen year and it's because our mothers go to the same country club. We kinda met from there and we formed our own clique, consisting of me, Katy, Liz and Samantha. Despite their different hair colors, they all dress and act exactly the same. Girly, over the top, well you name it. They're also nothing more than attention whores with the desire to pick on people. I confess, I dress up like them too, and sometimes I pretend to act like a bitch, because the thought of being alienated by them scares me. Sure it makes me uncomfortable, but it beats getting weird stares at the hallway or becoming their next target.

Pushing my thoughts aside, I got up and headed for the showers. Stripped off from my clothes, I let the cold water splash on my slightly tanned skin and let the soaps and shampoos do its magic. I wasn't the type to stone during my showers and think philosophically about the world. I like my showers fast and simple. After that, I went into my very unnecessary walk-in closet that my mother insisted me to get and changed into an outfit that she had planned out for my first day of senior year. I put on my heels next, applied my usual make up on, and curled my hair. All that in an hour.

I went down to the massive living room with my bag and my breakfast was already on the table. A small bowl of cereal and a glass of orange juice. Great, another light breakfast. I don't think I can survive on this in school, but when you have a fashion designer of a mom who wants her daughter to get into the modelling world, light breakfast I shall have. Even if it's against my will.

While I was eating my breakfast with my feet on the coffee table, my mom approached me. Speak of the devil.

"Lexi... You know that's not very ladylike." She commented.

I sighed. I didn't like how my life was dictated by my own mother. She's always trying so hard to cover up her past mistakes by using me as her "trophy daughter". The things she makes me do, like taking up modelling classes, practicing ballet, signing myself up for fashion design class, drives me insane. It's a surprise that my sanity hasn't slipped away.

I shrugged it off. Putting down my half-eaten breakfast on the table, I grabbed my stuff while ignoring my mom, went straight to my car outside and left for school. I don't need her bullshit on my first day.

On the way to school, I realized that my half-empty stomach started to growl. Not a good sign. I had 45 minutes left until school starts, so I decided to make a quick trip to my favorite cafe a few blocks away from school.

"At least I get to see the cute guy working there." I muttered to myself. Maybe every dark could has its own silver lining. No matter how stupid the situation is.