Status: Bananas

Our Pain Will Shine a Light

Beginnings

"So what time are you going out?"

"Just going out when the people come out." I smiled while handing the pharmacist and a close friend of mine a check.

"You're a good kid Ashley. I know things aren't looking good financially for you right now, but I love how you still spend your money caring about other people."

"I'll get mine Roberta. You know how I feel about it."

"I know Ashley. Good luck out there kid. Be safe."

"I will. Thanks."

"I'm cooking dinner tonight. Jeff and I are always happy to invite someone over."

"I couldn't invade your home like that."

"You're not. I know that you're in between jobs and all. I'll be happy to have you over. At least let me bring a plate by."

"Okay. You can bring a plate by."

"Good. See ya Ashley."

"Bye Roberta."

I grabbed my bag and walked out of the only pharmacy I'd dare go to. The walk to my apartment was short saying the discount pharmacy was right across the street.

I opened the door to my lightless apartment. Should really find the money to turn those on. I reached across my coffee table and turned on my battery powered lantern. After throwing the bag on the counter I emptied the contents out which were piles of injection needles. No I'm not a drug addict. Someone close to me was and that's why what I do is important to me.

Whenever I get my check, I go to the pharmacy and get everything I need to pass out to the 'druggies' in my part of the town. I know I barely have the money to pay for my light bill, but I care more about the people.

I opened all 20 of the ziplock bags that were scattered across my table. I took a packet of peanut butter crackers and cheese crackers out of the box and thew them into the bag alone with a small bottle of water. I also put three clean needles into the bag.

About an hour had passed when I ran out of things to but in the bags. This will be enough any way.

I thew everything into my shoulder bag and left in my car. I drove to the bar and club area of my part of town. Once settled, I parked my car in the private parking garage and grabbed my bad. I walked on the streets getting strange looks from some people and happy smiles from others.

"Ashley!"

I turned around and smiled at the kid, Matt Good, standing before me. Well he wasn't really a kid. Just 19 think.

"Hey Matt." I smiled with a wave.

"How have you been?" He asked walking closer.

"I've been trying."

"Haven't we all."

I smiled at him and took the ziplock bag from my bag.

"Stopped by the pharmacy today."

"Thank you Ashley."

"Sure thing buddy. Promise me that you'll get help as soon as you get the money."

"Don't I always."

I rolled my eyes playfully at him. Every month I go to the pharmacy to get clean needles for the drug addicts who live around here. I'm not supporting their habit, but at least the have clean needles when they do.

"Matt I think I found someone. I'm–"

Matt and I both turned our heads to the deep voice. A guy who stood a few inches taller than both of us with a pair of cheap shades on stood behind Matt.

"This guy bothering you Matt?" He asked while stepping up and towering over me.

"Down Batman. This is Ashley. He's good people."

I stepped back cautiously away from the young boy, but I held out my hand.

"Ashley Purdy."

"Dennis." He said while taking a step back towards Matt and ignoring my hand.

"Dude you can tell him your real name. He's here to help us. See? He's the one that passes out the bags."

Dennis as he said, just looked at me. I sighed and reached into my bag.

"Here. Three clean needles and a little food. I know it's not much, but I try to help."

He greedily reached for the bag, but I pulled it back before he could take it.

"Before I give this to you, promise that you'll try to get better as soon as you can."

His hand dropped and with a sigh he looked away.

"It's too late to stop." He whispered while looking down.

I put the bag in his hand and stepped closer to him.

"It's never to late. Promise me."

"Okay."

"Good."

I took a sharpie out of my bag. I wrote my cell phone number on his bag.

"Matt has my number too, but call if you need anything. Be safe tonight."

"Thank you Ashley." Matt replied.

"Sure Matt."

I looked at Dennis and he just stared back at me. Matt nudged him and whisper yelled at him.

"Thanks." He mumbled.

"Yup. Hang in there guys."

"You too Ashley."

I smiled at the guys once more before walking farther down the street. I looked back and Dennis had removed his sun glasses. I couldn't help but stop in my tracks as I saw his beautiful bright eyes.

"Yo Ashley!"

Another kid's voice made me turn around and look away from the beautiful blue eyed boy.

*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•

I gave out all of the bags and chatted a little before walking back to my car. Matt was standing in the same spot that he was in an hour earlier.

"Hey Matt. Where's your friend?"

"Who An–sorry–Dennis?"

"Er yeah."

"Found a client."

My eye brows furrowed at the thought of the beautiful boy giving himself away for money. I ran a hand though my hair and sighed.

"Um okay. Just wondering."

"It's not what you think. He's the only one trying to make a living. He cleans houses and or clubs to make his money."

"Oh."

"But it's hard for people to trust us because of this."

He looked down and sighed at his arm that had visible wounds from his injections.

"I'll make him call you okay? I know you and I can see that you're interested."

That caught me off guard. I mean first of all his name is probably not even Dennis saying Matt told him to tell me his real name. How could I be interested?

"I don't think I feel for him that way Matt."

"It's okay Ashley. I'm still gonna make him call you. He's way to young. He's going down the wrong path really fast. I know you can help him. Please Ashley."

"Okay. But what's his real name? I know it isn't Dennis."

"Andy Biersack. I knew him from school. We actually grew up in the same town now here we both are in LA, going down the wrong paths."

"Okay. Thanks. I'll try Matt."

"Thank you Ashley."

He hugged me and I returned it. I waved before walking back to my car.

*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•

Once home I opened my door which I forgot to lock sadly. I turned on the lantern and noticed a plate wrapped in foil. A note written on a paper towel sat on top.

Came by. You weren't here but the door was unlocked. You should start fixing that Ash. Hope you enjoy.
~Roberta

I smiled and unwrapped the plate. The nice smell of soul food filled my nose, and I eagerly reached for the plastic fork that she'd given me. I dug into the ham and eventually finished the whole plate.

I walked down the hallway and to the bathroom. I turned on the water and waited for it to warm. The heat felt nice, but it ended all too soon. I hate this fucking apartment.

I stepped out of the water and grabbed my towel wrapping it around my waist, getting another towel and doing the same for my hair. As soon as I had gotten into my pajamas my phone started to ring on my nightstand. The caller ID was unknown.

"Ashley Purdy."

"Hey Ashley. This is Dennis."

I recognize his voice and smiled a little while leaving the room and going to my bathroom.

"Hey Dennis..."

"Matt told you didn't he?"

"Told me what?"

"The name's Andy. I love him, but he can be so just ugh. He told me to call you. Was there something I could help you with or?"

"Well yeah actually. I have a job for you..."

I told him about a near by club that one of my friends work at. They're looking for help and they probably wouldn't mind hiring him.

I now had to job on my hands. I was getting this boy off of the streets.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello everyone! Welcome to my newest installment of andley! I'm excited about this story. I feel that it is original and I hope you all like it. Feel free to ask questions. Don't be afraid to comment and/or give constructive criticism. Looking forward to this story. Don't know how updates will go, but I'll be working hard as always. Be sure to check out the character list for more information. I'll be adding new characters to the list as they appear in the story. I feel like I had to mention something, but I don't remember what it was. Eh...anyway Thanks for reading. And as always I love you all.