Status: Bananas

Our Pain Will Shine a Light

Disappointment

Chapter 4

Ashley

I drove to the club and looked over at Andy a few times. He didn't say a word, but I didn't either. The silence wasn't awkward. Even though he did sleep on my couch we still barley knew each other.

We pulled up to the club that was starting to crowd because of happy hour. I opened my door and yelled at Andy who was taking his time.

"C'mon Andy!"

"Dennis." He plainly corrected.

"Sorry."

He shrugged and followed me to the club doors.

"Here for Jinxx. Got his lunch." I said while holding up the sandwich.

"Go on. Who's the kid?"

"He's with me."

He nodded and once again Andy followed me. This club wasn't loud rap music and twerking. This place was where you could get a drink and listen to a little jazz.

"Thank you. We'll be back in an hour with request from the crowd."

I smiled and winked at the blond who just spoke into the microphone. She rolled her eyes playfully and gave a wave.

"Who's she?" Andy asked.

"Jinxx's girlfriend."

"You just flirt like that?"

"No. They just like to get on my nerves." A random voice chimed in.

Jinxx approached us with Sammi on his arm.

"You must be the kid Ashley mentioned." He pointed out.

"Yeah I'm Dennis."

He held out his hand to Jinxx and he shook it.

"As you know I'm Jinxx and this is the lovely Sammi Doll."

"Hi! Samantha, call me Sammi. Nice to meet you Dennis."

Her cheerful manor made Andy smile and seeing him smile made me smile. I've only know him for a day, but I considered him a friend.

"Where's my lunch?"

"Here you go."

I handed him the sandwich and he thanked me.

"Oh yeah. Managers office is over there."

"Thanks dude. See you around."

He and Sammi made their way to the bar and started chatting with the bar tender.

"Okay. Here it is."

"Are you coming with me?"

"I can't stand out here. I think it will be more professional if you went by yourself though."

"Okay. Thanks though."

"No problem Andrew."

He knocked on the door and went in when the voice behind the door gave him permission.

I stood there for what seemed like thirty minutes when in reality it was only fifteen. Andy stepped out of the door. His expression was hard to read.

"So?"

"I got the job."

"That's good isn't it?"

"Yeah, but I'm not even getting minimum wage. I'm a drug addict. That's all I am to people."

"Don't think that way. The more positive you think the better. Can I buy you a drink?"

"No. That'll only make the cravings worse."

"I'm sorry...is there anywhere I could take you?"

"I live in my car."

"You've had a car all of this time?"

"No gas. It's parked in the bookstore's parking lot."

"Why the book store?"

"Who goes to a book store after dark?"

"True. So can I take you to it."

"Yeah. It's the one by the discount pharmacy on your street."

"That boom store? I know the owner of that place. She's my best friend' aunt."

"Um cool. Put in a good word for me and ask her not to call the cops at the mysterious car."

"Nah. She's a sweet old lady. She probably knows your situation."

"Yeah..."

"Can I at least get you something to eat?"

"Ashley I'm fine. I know about your money situations. Thanks for all of your help though."

"Yeah. Well I guess that we should get going then."

I started to walk out of the place and Andy tailed close behind. I drove to the bookstore and he got out of the car.

"Uh thanks. I guess."

"You're welcome. Call if you need something. You still have my number right?"

"Yeah. Thank you again. I needed the help."

"Sure."

I waved and rolled up my window and made my way into the house. I opened the door and stopped when I went in. Everything was on. My everything I meant the heat, the tv, and the lights. I looked outside to make sure I was in the right apartment and I was. I went to my room and found my bills. I called the companies and asked if they had made a mistake, but they said that all of my bills were paid anonymously.

*•*•*•*•*•

"Told you that you'd get yours. Now who's this kid again?"

Roberta had came over earlier to bring me breakfast and to her surprise I had cooked this time. We stood in the kitchen holding cups of coffee and I was explaining yesterday's events.

"His name's Andy." I told her.

"And he's a druggie."

"Yeah. I met him the other night. I have him a bag, but he started craving while he was at my house and I helped him. He gave me the needles back and now he has a job."

"Sounds like he's going through a lot."

"He is. He didn't talk to much about his personal life, but he sure as hell figured out a lot about me."

"Language Ashley Purdy. I'm a child of god and we don't speak that way."

"Sorry."

You can't argue with that woman when it comes to her religion. She has her belief and she's stuck to it.

"Anyway. What else happened?"

"Well he–"

My sentence was cut off by my phone ringing. Andy's name popped up on the screen but when I answered all I heard was a series of groans.

"Andy are you there?"

"Help me...Those f–fuckers beat me up and tried to take my c–car. They saw that it didn't have gas, but they stole all of my shit. My fucking ribs hurt Ashley!"

"Why didn't you call 911?"

"Hospital cost money. I don't have that."

"Okay Okay I'm on my way."


I hung up the phone and ran for my keys.

"Shit. Shit. Shit."

"What is it boy?!" Roberta yelled at me, probably upset with my profanity.

"The Andy kid just called me. He got beat up really bad."

"Oh god. Where's he?"

"In your aunt's bookstore parking lot."

"Okay. I'll run to the pharmacy and get something. I'm right behind you."

I nodded and we both left the apartment. She ran across to the pharmacy and I jumped into my car. What have I gotten myself into already?
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello again everyone. How goes it? I'm sorry that updates are slow. I'm dealing with somethings more like people but it's stressing. I'm writing as much as I can. Sorry for the typos and thank you for reading. I love you all.