Shadows Kiss

Bat Country

I stood alone at the open window, listening to the unknown whispers of the wind. I was still daydreaming of my mother. It had been a couple of weeks since the incident, but the haunting memories remained. Suddenly I felt a hand on the small of my back. I jumped and turned to see Matt standing behind me with a wide grin. I smacked his muscular arm lightly with a giggle, "You scared the hell out of me!"

"I'm sorry." He chuckled. "What are you doing?"

"Just looking over the land." I glanced back out the window. "Nature is a magnificent thing."

"It is beautiful here." His hazel eyes moved over the landscape before us. "I know a place that is even more beautiful than this. Actually this place is always the most beautiful during the Fall, you would love it there."

"Really? Where?" I turned, looking back up to him.

"It's a secret." He smirked, turning me around and pulling my body to his. He wrapped his arms around me and placed a gentle kiss on my lips. "I was thinking of taking you there today. Would you like to go?"

"I'd love to." I beamed. "You don't even have to ask, you know that."

"Why's that?" He arched his eyebrow.

"Because I would go anywhere with you." I whispered.

"I love you." He kissed me again.

"I love you too."

.................................................................................................................................................

A couple of hours later, after getting ready I joined the guys downstairs. They were all waiting for me in the hallway by the main entrance. I looked around at all of them, then back to Matt in confusion, "Where is Sully?"

"He said something about he had plans already, so he's staying here. Not really sure where he is though." Matt shrugged.

"Oh okay." I said, wondering what he could be up to.

"Are you ready to go Lady Shadows?" Zacky flashed me a bright smile, offering me his arm.

"Of course." I nodded, looping my arm through his and following the others out the door.

We all loaded up in a giant black SUV. We drove for what seemed like forever. I watched out the window as the landscape began to change. We traveled down a long dirt road, through mountains and then deep into the forest. I wasn't even sure what country we might be in by now. There were no signs, no houses, nothing that resembled civilization for miles. You could tell the path was not traveled often.

Soon the vehicle came to a stop and Matt stepped out, offering out his hand. I took it, stepping from the SUV. I looked up to see two giant carrigaes, both dark crimson red, both being drawn by six horses blacker than night. They seemed to come from nowhere, simply appearing from the the thick fog just ahead. "Wow." Was all I could manage.

"Come darling." Matt walked forward to meet the first carriage.

A tall man stepped down from it, bowing to Matt. "Greetings dark Prince." He spoke softly, with a deep voice.

"Good evening Thomas." Matt nodded to him.

Then another man stepped from the other carriage to approach us, bowing as the other had done. "My Lord." He simply said.

"Hello Henry." Matt nodded to the shorter man. "Gentlemen this is Lady Shadows." He looked back to me with a smile. "Alice, these are two of our loyal servants, Thomas and Henry."

They both bowed to me, speaking at the same time. "Welcome my lady."

I walked up to them reaching out a hand, "It's nice to meet you gentlemen."

They both looked up to me with confusion then looking to Matt with worry. "It's alright boys." He laughed. They nodded, getting to their feet to shake my hand.

"What beautiful creatures." I mused at the dark horses, going over to pet them. I walked over to one of the horses leading the first carriage, noticing a single white star on it's forehead. I looked around to see none of the others had any markings, they were only solid black Clydesdale stallions. "What's his name?" I looked back to Thomas.

He turned to Matt for approval, Matt nodded his head granting him permission to speak. "His name is Phantom, my lady."

"Phantom." I whispered, running my hand gently down the large horse's face. Softly he nuzzled his nose into my palm. "You're a beautiful boy, Phantom." I spoke quietly to the Clydesdale. He began to neigh loudly in response, stepping closer to me. "What is it boy?" I asked. Again he nuzzled his face into my arm. "You want to be petted again?" I stroked his hair, then along his neck, patting his back. "You're a good boy huh?" He continued to make small noises as I gave him attention.

"It's like he's talking to you." Zacky stared in amazement. "I've never seen those horses react to anyone before."

"It is strange." Brian cocked an eyebrow, admiring me and the horse.

I turned around to face the boys who all stood watching me curiously. "What? You act like you've never seen anyone talk to a horse before." I laughed.

"We haven't." Jimmy laughed at me.

"Well now you have." I stated, walking back over to join them. "Still not gonna tell me where we are going?" I looked at Matt.

"Nope. You'll just have to wait and see." He never gave in.

The men walked back to their carriages, opening the doors to invite us in. Matt helped me inside, then he stepped in behind me. The boys all loaded into the other carriage. Then we were off, back into the falling darkness of the forest.

"You really want to know where I'm taking you?" Matt spoke then.

"Yes." I nodded.

He let out a deep sigh. "I'm taking you to meet my parents."

"What?" I exclaimed with wide eyes, as my mouth fell open.

"Yes." He smiled.

"What will they think of me? What if they don't like me? Oh I'm so nervous!" I began to panic.

"Darling, everything will be just fine. They are gonna love you, trust me." He tried to calm me, taking my hand in his, placing his other hand over it.

I took a deep breath, trying to steady my heart. I felt the carriage come to a stop a few moments later. I heard a loud creaking sound, almost metallic. "What is that?"

"They are drawing down the gate." He informed me.

"Oh." The sound of the horses hooves were audible again and I felt the bump as the carriage moved over the lip of the gate. I could see lines of vampires on both sides of the carriage, peering into the windows to get a glimpse of the dark Prince and his new, strange love.

Again he came to a stop, then the door opened. "You ready?" Matt looked to me, I simply nodded. He stepped out of the carriage, again offering me his hand. I stepped out, straightening my dress.

I looked up in awe at the enchanting beauty around me. We stood on old cobblestone streets surrounded by century old architecture. Even in the darkness of the night I could still see the brilliant colors of the trees, adorned in oranges and reds. I could hear the crashing of the waves surrounding the village, which set high on a mountain above the water. I glanced around with a smile to all of the curious spectators. They came to gather around us, hushed whispers echoing through the streets as they watched us nervously.

"Welcome to Bat Country, Lady Shadows." Matt said to me with a wide smile, waving his hand out to the landscape surrounding us.

"Matt, it's beautiful." I gaped in wonder.

"I'm glad you like it."

The boys soon walked up to join us. They were all busy asking me what I thought and informing me about places and things in the villiage. Suddenly the giant doors to the huge castle just before us swung open. First a man in a dark cloak stepped through announcing the King and Queen. I watched as everyone knelt on their knees, awaiting their presence. I turned to see the boys doing the same. I looked to Matt, "Should I do the same?"

"No beloved, you are their Princess now. You never kneel to royalty, because you are royalty." He whispered.

I watched as a man in a black suit with long coat tails, black whispy shoulder length hair, and glowing green eyes emerged from the castle. I could tell by his presence he was an older man yet he still possessed a youthful face. On his arm followed a gorgeous woman with light brown hair pulled up in an elegant bun, dressed in a full crimson gown, and warm brown eyes. They walked to the large platform in front of the castle, gazing down upon us with inviting smiles.

"Come." Matt squeezed my hand, walking to meet them.

"Welcome home my boy." The man reach out with open arms to Matthew.

"Thank you father." He hugged him back.

"Matthew, I have missed you so." The woman then embraced him.

"I've missed you too mother." He hugged her tightly. He stepped back to me then. "Mother, father, there is someone very special that I would like for you to meet. This is Alice." He pushed me forward. "Alice, this is my mother, Scarlet and my father, Drake."

"It's an honor to meet you both." I bowed to them.

Scarlet jumped out and hugged me up, "It's so lovely to meet you Alice, we have heard so much about you!" She beamed over to me. "Oh Matt, she is gorgeous!"

"Thank you." I blushed.

"Yes, it is nice to meet you Alice." Drake reach out a hand to me.

"Thank you Sir." I took his hand and he placed a small kiss upon it.

Suddenly he dropped my hand, taking a step back. He looked bewildered. "You are a witch!" He nearly gasped. All the boys glanced around at each other, while Matt gave his father a cold stare.

I took a deep gulp, my eyes growing wide at his reaction. "Yes Sir, I am."

"Isn't she beautiful, Drake?" Scarlet gushed to him, taking his hand.

"Indeed." He responded, looking me over once again. Then he seemed to snap out of it, turning back to the castle. "Please, do come in." He said harshly.

Matt took my hand again and followed his parents into the huge doors, with the boys following behind us. We passed through a great corridor, adorned by beautiful portraits I assumed were their ancestors or important people to the empire. We passed by elegantly decorated large rooms, where people sat quietly socializing in each. They all looked up from their glasses, containing dark red liquid, to watch us pass by inquisitively.

We came to the top of a long staircase, that curved around to meet the grand ballroom. My heartbeat began to speed up when I seen the hundreds of gorgeous vampires below. They all stopped and stared up to us and I wondered if they could hear the pounding of my heart. I was brought back to my senses when I heard the announcer call, "King and Queen Shadows!" I took a deep breath knowing we were next. "Prince Matthew Shadows and Miss Alice Craft."

I felt the entire room's eyes on me and heard them whisper "human" followed by "witch". Some looked confused, while others seemed intrigued, but most seemed amazed with Matthew's choice in me. I smiled sweetly to all of them as we made our way through the room. "Hello." I greeted them. "Good evening." I nodded my head to others.

Once in the center of the room the boys made a circle around me. "What do you think Alice?" Johnny asked.

"It's an amazing place, really." I smiled.

"We're glad you like it." Said Brian.

"After all, this will all be yours soon." Jimmy encouraged.

"Oh well, I don't know about that." I huffed, with a giggle.

"Don't you?" Matt raised an eyebrow."Because he's right, it will be all yours." He leaned in for a kiss. "I'm going to fetch us some drinks."

"I'll help." Johnny offered, taking off behind him.

"Guys, watch her." Matt instructed the boys.

"So the parents seem to like you." Jimmy put his hands in his pockets, rocking on his tiptoes.

"I'm not so sure." I narrowed my eyes at him. "His dad didn't seem to happy."

"Oh that's just Drake being Drake." Brian waved a hand.

"Does he have something against witches?" I asked.

"Not particularly no...." Brian hesitated.

"What is it?" I dug deeper.

Zack let out a deep sigh, "He doesn't have anything against witches, I just don't think he ever expected Matt to end up dating one."

"Oh, I see." I bit down on my bottom lip, mulling the thought over.

"It just took him by surprise I think." He tried to make it less of a deal. "I guess he just always imagined Matt would be with a vampire."

"Well, a vampire I definitely am not." I glanced around the room again at the sea of creatures around me, noticing how beautiful and graceful they were. I was nothing like them. I was human and I was plain. I wasn't enchanting and mysterious. I wore my heart on my sleeve.

"Oh shit." I heard Zacky say.

"Fuckin hell." Brian nearly spat.

"What is it?" I looked to them for an answer but before anyone could say anything I heard a sultry voice from behind me.

"Hello boys." She purred. I turned to see a gorgeous little vampire with dark hair down her back, bright purple eyes, and full red lips. She was scantly clad in a matching purple gown, that was completely open in the back, a daring neck line, and a slit all the way up her long leg.

"Raven." Brian nodded his head to her presence.

"Long time no see." She winked.

"Thank God for that." Zacky grumbled, looking another direction.

"Oh Zackary, still jealous are you?" She batted her lashes at him. "It breaks my heart to see you're still upset with me for not picking you over Matt."

My eyes grew wide at her words. "What?" I couldn't stop myself.

"Oh hello," she turned to face me, "Who is this?" she asked.

"This is Alice, she is Matt's new girlfriend." Jimmy threw an arm around me with a bright smile.

"Matt's new girlfriend?" Her eyes grew as wide as mine. "It's a pleasure to meet you Amy. I'm the old girlfriend, Raven." She reach out a hand to me.

"It's Alice." I corrected her, giving her hand a firm shake. I wanted nothing more than to rip the little vampire's arm clean off her body and beat her to death with it. But I did my best to refrain, knowing better than to act out on my first visit to Bat Country.

"Of course, I do apologize." She took her hand back, placing it on her heart. "Forgive me, I didn't even know Matt had moved on."

"Please, you have been over for decades now!" Zacky huffed.

"Here we go." Matt came up behind me, offering a drink.

"Well, well look what the cat drug in." She narrowed her eyes on Matt.

His head snapped up and his eyes met hers. "Oh, umm....uhhh, hi...Raven." He stammered.

"I haven't seen you in ages!" She leaped out and entrapped him in a loving embrace. "You're still just as handsome as the first day we met."

He pulled away quickly, rejoining my side. "Umm yeah, it's been a while." He rubbed the back of his neck nervously.

"Congrats on the new love interest. I didn't think you would ever get over me. I already got to meet Annabelle here." She pointed to me.

"It's Alice, okay? Her name is Alice!" Brian was growing tired of her.

"Right." She smiled up to him, then back to me. "Alice."

A great bell began to toll throughout the castle. "Everyone please enter the dining hall!" A man called out.

"Come on." Matt pulled to my hand, leading me away.

We all entered the dining hall and made our way through the maze of long tables and chairs. We were seated at the head table, the royal table I assumed. The King of course was at the head of the table, with his Queen on one side and Matt on the other. I sat beside of Matt, with Brian on the other side and Jimmy next to him. Beside of Scarlet sat Zacky. Johnny was getting ready to take his seat beside Zack, when Raven came bolting over. "Make room for me!" She shoved him out of the way, putting herself between Zacky and Johnny.

"Ah the lovely Raven!" The King's deep voice called out. "Matt, did you get a chance to say hello?" He looked back to his son.

"Yes." Matt's face seemed tense, but also angry.

"Indeed we did, your majesty! You know us, can't stay away from one another. I guess some things never change." She had a small laugh, then lifting her glass. My eyes narrowed on her, almost hoping she would choke on the blood she was about to drink.

"Oh right, I'm sure that's why he's spent the last decade avoiding you." Johnny smirked.

"So Alice, are you enjoying your stay dear?" Scarlet cut off the banter, looking up to me with a warm smile.

"Yes your majesty, very much so. Thank you for having me here." I nodded with a sweet smile.

"No darling, thank you for coming. We do enjoy having you here. I have never seen my boy so happy." She beamed over to Matt.

"This is the happiest I've ever been." Matt put an arm around me, kissing me lightly on the forehead.

"I don't know, I do recall a time where he was just as happy, if not happier." Raven mused at us.

"Raven, don't start." Jimmy warned.

"I'm not starting James! I'm only giving my opinion." She waved a hand.

"Yeah, well nobody asked for your opinion." Zacky scowled. "Just in case you forgot, you were a bitch who was simply using Matt as a way to get what you wanted, the crown. He saw straight through your fake bullshit and left your stupid ass! Last time I checked, you still have your sight, so clearly you can see that Matt has moved on and doesn't give a damn about you!"

"Or so you think, real love never dies." She wiggled her eyebrows at him. "Unfortunately for you, no one is interested, so you wouldn't know."

"You're right Raven, real love never dies." Brian began, "And that is wonderful for Matt because he has finally found his true love, Alice! Alice is an amazing person, with a loving heart, and a caring soul. She would never do what you did! You know why? Because she actually loves Matt!"

"Enough!" Drake's voice rang out and the room became quiet. "Enough." He said softer, easing back into his seat.

"Alice, I do apologize for the behavior of those around you. It turns out that some of my vampires are not as well mannered as I have trained them to be." He glared around the table at the boys. "Anything you would like to say boys?"

"Forgive us, your majesty." They all spoke softy.

"It's quite alright, your highness." I looked back to the King.

"So tell me Alice, are you fearful of your surroundings?" He asked.

"No Sir, I am not fearful of anything in your kingdom."

"Come now girl, you are amongst nothing but vampires and you are a simple human." He had a chuckle, taking a sip from his glass.

I looked down the table at all the eager eyes, focusing on me. I turned back to the King with a gentle smile. "I do not fear them."

"You must be awfully confident in your powers then." He looked me in the eye, easing back into his chair. "Do you think you could rule them?"

"Please! She is a human! She could never rule the empire!" Raven laughed out loud.

"He was asking Alice!" Jimmy shot her a look.

"What I mean is, I can't see how you could rule over an empire you know nothing about." The King stated his opinion.

I cleared my throat, preparing myself. "With all due respect Sir, just because I'm not the same as they are, that doesn't mean I can't understand them. My heart is just as open as my mind. I would take the time to get to know them all personally. For I believe a kingdom should always be well acquainted with it's rulers. A good Queen doesn't simply order her kingdom about, she spends time with her people, listening to what they need, helping them with any problems they may have. It is a partnership, and there is much to be learned from the people. Also, I think I have certain things to offer them in return."

"What a brilliant young lady." Scarlet complimented me. "Wise beyond her years."

"Is that right?" Drake raised an inquisitive eyebrow at me. "And what could you possibly have to offer them?"

"I would really like to teach them about Wicca, about herbs and spices, about meditation, about nature and animals, how to be more centered and techniques to help control their powers."

"You want to teach my vampires about witchcraft?" He began to laugh wildly. "Oh my poor girl, I'm afraid you know nothing of the species of which you are referring to. Vampires are dark creatures, who feed off of the weak, they hunt and they kill, they are violent and terrifying. It would do you no good to try to teach them about your white magick. You would only be wasting your precious time I'm afraid."

"Silly girl, she has no place in this kingdom." Raven shook her head at me with a smirk.

I lowered my head feeling defeated, looking at the table before me. "I think you are dismissing her efforts far too quickly." Scarlet defended me. "I think she has tons of potential and even more to teach this empire."

I smiled up at her. "Then you are a fool just like the girl!" Drake roared with laughter again. "Raven is right, a silly little witch has no business in this kingdom."

"Father!" Matt yelled.

"I don't want to hear it Matthew. Devour her and move on with your life! The crown will soon be yours and you need to find a partner befitting of the role! Someone more like Raven here. Grow up son!"

Matt jumped up from the table, forcing his chair back. "Father stop!" His eyes became a fierce red. "Don't you dare say such things! Show her some respect! She will be the next Queen, whether you like it or not!"

"You are the fool who brought home a witch! How do you expect me to react? It is your destiny to marry another vampire like all the respectable kings before you!"

"That's enough! I will not allow you to speak like this in front of Alice! She came here with an open mind to meet you, all of you!" He stared down the table and out to the other tables of spectators inside the room. "You are always so quick to judge those who are not like us! But if you took the time to get to know her you would see that she has a kind heart, a wonderful personality, extreme courage, a warm spirit, and incredible strength. Don't be mistaken she is not a simple witch, she has powers far beyond what you could ever dream. But you have no one but yourself to blame for missing out on an amazing woman!" He reach out his hand to me. "Come on Alice let's go, we are not welcome here."

"No, Matthew please! Please don't go, you just got here! Forgive your father! He doesn't mean those things, any of them!" Scarlet cried out, tears building in her eyes.

I stood, clasping my hand around his and following him away from the table. "Matthew stop! The girl is not welcome here, but you are! You are the Prince of this kingdom! Matthew!" His father howled out behind us. "Don't you walk away from me!"

"You taught me how!" Matt yelled over his shoulder, exiting the room. He stormed out of the castle and soon we were back in the carriage, headed for Sully's. "God, Alice I am so sorry for ever taking you there. I should have known better. I don't know what made me think he would have changed." He kept apologizing.

"Matt, Matt it's fine." I took his face in my hands, smiling up to him. "It was so sweet of you to take me to your kingdom and even sweeter that you wanted your parents to meet me. It shows me how serious you really are about us and that you are proud of me. I don't care what they think of me, I only care what you think. I love you and nothing will ever change that."

A tear slid down his cheek and he grabbed my face, smothering me in a deep, passionate kiss. After a few moments he pulled away smiling to me, "I love you baby."
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you so very much to all of my lovely readers! Big thank you to all of you who rec and sub! Lots of love and hugs to my amazing readers who leave comments that brighten my day and make writing this story so worth it! It not only warms my heart to read your words of encouragement but it also inspires me to keep posting. So really, thank you! Everything you do means the world to me! I will be working on a Halloween chapter for the upcoming week, hoping to get it done in time. Hope you all enjoy! Happy writing!

Love and Deathbats,

-Lady*Shadows-