Upside-Down World

Upside-Down World

"She's so strange," states Sparkle while fixing her perfect silvery hair.
Melody takes a short sip off her cup of soy drink, and agrees with her. "True," she nods.
The three of us sit in the school's dining room, around us hundreds of other pupils just like us. She's the only one whose hair was not touched by bleach and dye. Her dark black hair is so outstanding in this sea of blonde heads.
She sits down by herself in a corner of a table, and lowers her head, staring at her plate.
I look at her sad face, that no makeup product ever destroyed, nibbling on my green salad.
"Why doesn't she do something with herself? That hair, seriously!" says Sparkle.
"Her name, too - Lianne - what were her parents thinking when they named her that?" adds Melody.
"I heard she eats animals," says Sparkle. Melody has a disgusted expression on her face, and I look at Lianne and see no such cruelty in her. "And she drinks their milk!" continues Sparkle.
"I can't believe someone like that studies in our school!" says Melody. "I heard," she emphasizes, "she loves boys."
Sparkle shows her disgust by making noises as if she's about to vomit. "Melody! Ugh, we're eating!"
"Sorry!"
They suddenly stop talking and I realize they're looking at me. I look back at their questioning faces.
"What do you think, Gallant?" asks Melody. "You're being too quiet."
"Yeah," I answer quickly. "She really is weird." I lie. I lie often when I'm around them. How long will I keep lying like this to everyone? Pretend?
I'm impressed with Lianne.
I'm afraid to admit it.
I'm a boy who loves girls.