Stella's Sick Little Games

Thirty-Eight.

"You know, I was thinking before..." Alex rubbed my back as I curled up next to him in his bed. "You can tell me to shut up if this is stupid..."
"Tell me." I wrapped my arms around him, there's no way I'd rather sleep.
"I don't know why this crossed my mind but... you and Jack look a lot alike." He stopped.
"Yeah, we both get that all the time." Where is he going with this?
"You know Jack doesn't know who his dad is, right? His mom had a one night stand and found out the guy was in jail when Jack started asking about him..."
"Wait... are you trying to say..." I sat up, I don't even know what to think right now.
"I'll shut up if you want, I was just thinking."
"I mean, my dad's a douchebag. He raped me, so I wouldn't put cheating on my mother past him..." Alex sat up next to me. "Do you really think that we could actually have the same dad?"
"I mean, it makes sense. He's in jail, Jack doesn't know who he is, you guys do look a lot alike. Maybe talk to his mom? You guys could figure it out. I didn't really wanna bring it up to him without knowing anything for sure cause he gets really weird every time someone brings his dad up. It's just one of those sensitive topics for him."
"Yeah... You're rehersing over there tomorrow, right?" He nodded, gently grabbing my hand. "I'll go with you and talk to her then."
"You sure you want to?" What's more to think about?
"I've always needed someone there for me like a brother. Who's gonna protect me, look out for me... I don't know, I know we're pretty much the same age but it'd be nice. And I like Jack, so it's not like some jerk. He's a really good guy... Who might be my brother."
"Wouldn't that be funny? My best friend and the love of my life end up being half-siblings?" I pulled him down, curling back into his arms like before, where I fit perfect and nothing else in the world matters.
"The love of your life, huh? She must be lovely."
"She's everything I could ever ask for and more... so much more." He kissed me, gently. How the hell did I ever get so lucky?