Too Close for Comfort

Seven.

Another month and a half passed, nothing. The only exciting thing was my birthday, but I was bored out of my mind. The field hockey team went out for a nice pizza dinner and I ended up ignored, not one person acknowledged it was my birthday even though most of them knew. I’m not one to be the center of attention, but it hurt that no one cared. It was my big day, but no one bothered to take even five seconds to be nice to me. I was invisible, like always. Dougie hadn’t even texted me a “happy birthday”, which hurt more than anything.
But today I’m seeing him, hopefully. My brother, Alex, is going down to the track to take his quad out for a ride. Dougie spent almost every weekend down there with Mr. Poynter and his dirt bike, so hopefully he’s there today.
My heart raced when we pulled in and saw his truck. My mind is set on nothing happening between us today since there was no way we’d really be alone. Just the fact that I get to see him makes me happy.
I sat with Mr. Poynter and watched the guys ride while my dad was helping Alex fix something on the quad.
"You know, did Dougie tell you that he was gonna pick you up on your birthday and take you out to dinner and a movie?" I looked up to see if he was joking, he was being serious.
"Why didn’t he? I would’ve blown off the stupid dinner I went to and I would’ve had so much more fun with him." He shrugged.
"He came downstairs, said he was going but then he started thinking your dad would get mad at him. I kept trying to tell him that you two were just hanging out and there was nothing to be mad over, but he was set on the idea your dad would kill him or something." He cared. He wanted to take me out on the most cliche night, and I would’ve loved it.
"He’s an idiot. I would’ve loved that." Speaking of him, he came riding over.
"The sand pit is all mud, I’m taking the quad and riding through." He looked at me. "You wanna hop on back?" I smiled.
"I’m down." I grabbed one of the extra helmets in the back of the truck and he helped me put it on. I got on the back and wrapped my arms around him.
"Hold on tight." He sped off, I held onto him as tight as I could watching the trees go by.
He turned into the sand pit, which was all mud and puddles from the storm yesterday. He rode through deep puddles, did donuts in thick mud, and by the time I was completely covered, he wanted to go back.
I held onto him tight, laying my head on his back. I was happy. This is how it should be, him and I against the world. I just wish I could tell him how I felt without ruining everything between us.