Status: Complete.... ?

Beautiful Scars

Chapter 3

Benedict was shocked at what he was seeing. What was happening with Athena right now? Her hands were moving around her face, and she wasn’t even looking at them. Her eyes were shut and her face… looked radiant. So happy! This was a happy dance. He smiled to himself, thinking about how silly this girl looked.
Some may think it immature, but it wasn’t that way with her. It was just… fun. And right. He felt happier just looking at her… she was so different. What a surprise it was to find out that she knew nothing about him, given her absence from the country. That was so rare these days. Every woman he had taken out since Olivia always happened to like the exact same things as he did, and often said “So I saw on the Internet that you…” He couldn’t be his true self, because he was an open book to anyone with a computer. Therefore, it was much more difficult to make genuine connections with others. But here was a chance for that to happen… and with such a funny, smart, and (he had to admit) beautiful woman, too.
She inspired him with her dance, and so he quickly and quietly joined along. He closed his eyes and smiled as he jostled his broad shoulders up and down to the beat. He hoped she wouldn’t see him, as he knew he would look incredibly silly, but he felt safe with her. After a few moments of quiet dancing, the elevator stopped at the smoke room. Ben opened his eyes and looked at Athena. Her eyes sparkled and her mouth was open in a silent laugh. Benedict laughed along with her, happy with their quick familiarity. It was strange for Benedict to not hear a laugh, but see it. The skin around her mouth and eyes crinkled, turning her scar bright white. He liked that scar… it made her look badass. Like she had battled a fierce animal.
The smoke room was a maroon space with a spicy, smoky smell. It was dark. In fact, it was only lit by five golden lamps set on dark mahogany tables. Plush velvet chairs were set up in pairs next to the tables, and crystal bourbon bottles sparkled in the golden lights. To Ben, it was a familiar look and feel. But given Athena’s wide eyes and slightly open mouth, it was evident the same was not true for her. Ben was pleased with her childlike wonder.
The pair walked into the quiet room in silence. “It’s quiet,” Ben thought. “Too quiet…” Suddenly, a small squeal and a loud crash sounded from the dark corner of the room. Ben was caught off guard and jumped a step back. At the same moment, he noticed that Athena, rather than being frightened away by the sound, took a protective step in front of him. She looked at the corner with her hands in fists at her sides. Ben watched her sharp eyes search through the darkness. It was like she had no flight response. Only fight. It was impressive, and oddly comforting.
“Oh Lord! Shit! Amanda!” a familiar voice exclaimed.
“Martin?” Ben asked. “What the hell?”
Martin and Amanda crept into the light of a nearby lamp. Benedict knew he wasn’t Sherlock, but he was able to easily deduce what they had been doing in the dark room.
“Sorry, sorry!” Martin apologized.
“But to be fair, Benny, we were here first.” Amanda chimed in. She and Ben were good friends too, given their recent shooting on set and common connection with Martin. Her eyes quickly shifted to Athena. “Seems like you’ll take our place. It’s a wonderful space.” She smiled at Athena’s slight grimace at the idea. “Martin, let’s go home. I need to call mum and dad anyway… wait! Did you tell Benny?”
Ben was reminded of the exciting news Martin was about to tell him in the bar. “No! What a tosser!” Martin was clearly drunk, but he stepped closer to Benedict in a very serious manner. “Benedict Cumberbatch, I am… MARRIED!” he threw his hands into the air. Ben erupted with a joyous yell and huge smile. The two embraced each other for a quick moment. Amanda bounded over and joined in, and the three hugged and yelled for joy.
“When?! When did this happen?!” Ben interrogated.
“Today! Just before we came! This morning, before I had any makeup on - that’s how I knew he REALLY meant it you know,” she joked, “Martin got down on one knee with a gorgeous ring,” she put out her left hand for Ben to see, “and asked! Of course I said yes, and we talked about when… and we realized –“
“That we had waited long enough, and didn’t want to waste another minute!” Martin chimed in. “So we sent the kiddies with their grandparents and headed to the courthouse… and done!” He was on a roll, and it was evident to Ben that he was genuinely happy. “God, what a good day!” he swiftly kissed his wife and laughed.
“Fantastic! So you got married today, and you came to a work event? What about a honeymoon?” Ben asked. The idea seemed absurd!
“Good Lord, that’s where we’re going now!” Amanda declared. She pulled Martin’s arm towards the elevator. “Come on Hubby, darling! We’ve got a honeymoon to… enjoy! Goodbye Benny, and mum’s the word, yeah? Have a good night tonight! Oh, and hello to your lady friend!” she pressed the elevator button.
Martin waved to Benedict. “See you soon, mate. It’s good you’re back in the game.” He winked. “I’ll see you… LATE-RS!” he yelled. Benedict laughed at the inside joke. The couple entered the elevator and waved their goodbyes.
Ben waved back until the doors closed. He was so happy for his two friends, as he knew they were perfectly suited and in love. They had been together for a very long time too, and even had children. Benedict loved those children, who had recently taken to calling him “Benny Bear”. He was truly grateful to have met Martin.
The thought of marriage and children made him ache on the inside. It was what he really wanted - more than anything. But Olivia, with whom he thought he would do those things with, wanted nothing of the sort. It was a wound that was still healing.
Ben quickly remembered that he was not alone. But when he swung his body around, he saw nothing but darkness. Did Athena feel awkward during their private moment and leave? “Shit,” he scolded himself, “I should have introduced her. Now she’s gone.” He looked eagerly for her. “Athena?” he murmured. Silence.
“Oh come on. She left? Dammit.” He realized then that he really wanted to get to know this woman. The huge disappointment that he felt in his chest was a sign that she had captured his attention… without really trying. And now, he was left with silence.
Suddenly, a small ting-ting of a bourbon glass gently sounded. “Of course! She can’t speak!” he realized. That’s when he saw her smiling face, which she had moved close to a lamp. The golden light only made her look more beautiful to him. He felt like a firework went off in his chest. It was official. He must know this woman. Date her, maybe. But be very good friends, perhaps best friends? Absolutely.
He sat in the chair to her right and gave her a huge smile. “I thought I’d lost you. I’m sorry I didn’t introduce you… I’m usually much more polite.” He was anxious, but she had a smile and note waiting for him.

I’m happy for your friends! They seem like they fit together perfectly. I’m sorry… I feel like I barged in on your moment. I kind of… hid. It might seem silly, but things like that deserve privacy. Bourbon?

He looked at her after finishing the note. She coyly tipped her head and glass filled with the amber liquid she was offering. Ben was impressed by her drinking choice as well as her respectful action.
“Yes please, and thank you for that privacy. It doesn’t happen a lot for me, or Martin.” He thought a moment. “I must ask, so please don’t take this offensively, but you aren’t associated with any media are you?” he felt horrible for even asking, but knew he needed to. “It’s just that they get in everywhere, and this is a delicate situation–“ he was silenced by her hand on his. He momentarily enjoyed the electricity as he looked in her eyes.
He expected a scowl, quite honestly. But Athena’s face assured him no offense was taken. She removed her hand and quickly wrote.

I absolutely understand. Though I don’t know to what degree of fame you’ve acquired, I understand that fame costs. You deserve privacy. So no, I’m not media. Holy crap. Me at a desk job? Nope.

Benedict read with fervor. Relief washed over him. “Thank you. You do seem like the type to be outside. What else to you enjoy? I mean, we will be spending quite a bit of time together soon. I think it would be a good idea to get to know each other. For professional purposes of course.” He quickly added. Athena’s brown curls bounced as she nodded in agreement.
A game then? 20 Questions? She jotted.
Make it a game? Though he just met her, he knew it was in her nature to play around. He smiled. “Perfect. Yes. You first.” Ben agreed.