Status: Complete.... ?

Beautiful Scars

Chapter 4

Athena always loved games. When she was younger, she always played 20 Questions with new people. And new people were plentiful in her life.

Basics: Name?
“Benedict Timothy Carlton Cumberbatch.”
“Wow. What a mouth full!” Athena thought to herself.
“You?”
Athena Magdalene Rose Congeth.
“A name to perhaps rival my own!” Ben laughed. Athena appreciated his good nature. “Where are you from, Athena Magdalene Rose?”
This was a tough question for Athena, and one that she didn’t really like to answer. It was just lengthy and… not normal like so many people she had known.
You got yourself into a mess with that one! Long story here. I was born… somewhere in America. If I could let you hear my voice, you’d hear an American accent! I don’t know who my parents are, what my birthday is, my heritage… nothing. Someone left me at an orphanage in a grocery cart. The orphanage was really small, and located in an even smaller town called Providence, Illinois. I didn’t have very many friends growing up. Books were my friends. I went to my first foster home at 11. They were kind, but they chose another girl over me. Don’t worry; I’m over it though (people typically ask).
Athena was honestly over it. Thankfully, she was not a particularly spiteful person. How different and difficult her life would be if she held on to the hurt she had known.
Then on to foster #2. These people were… not so nice. See the scar on my jaw? Athena pointed to the white hairline scar on her face.
That’s from them. The husband was an alcoholic. Needless to say, my 12-year-old self didn’t agree with his ways. I ran.
This situation was harder for Athena to think about. The Cold Man, as she called him, cut her with a steak knife during a drunken tantrum for breaking a frame. Due to the many books she had read, she knew that abuse was serious and dangerous to live in. She got out as fast as she could by sneaking out in the middle of the night. Months later, after court dates and paper work, she was at the orphanage again.
And a bit later, I went to foster #3… Karen and Steven. They were really kind, and cared for me from 13 to 18. I aged out. They had children of their own, but treated me like one of them. I still send them postcards so they know I’m not dead. Which is always a good thing! So, all in all, I guess you could say I’m from Illinois.
When Benedict finished reading her paper, she flashed him a content smile. She watched as his eyes traveled to her scar. She saw sadness… and was that anger?
“That’s… a hell of a story! I’m so sorry you went through all of that. That man… Do you…” he paused, “… are you alright with everything?”
Athena wrote with happiness in her heart. Ben seemed genuinely concerned about her!
Yes. Honestly, yes. Thanks to, well, my faith and the books I continually read, I learned to forgive and escape. Really. Normal people have friends. My friends are still books. I love them! She smiled. It was true. She learned to read exceptionally fast as a child, and never stopped. Ben smiled at her.
“I love them too,” he said quietly. She looked into his eyes as he smiled and touched her hand. Athena knew that telling him her story put him in an uncomfortable situation… What do you say to something like that? Often times, people said nothing at all and quickly changed the subject. It sometimes felt like they didn’t care. But Athena noticed that Benedict was different. His silence was respectful; almost as if he was thanking her for the strength and vulnerability it took to tell him of her past. He was still looking at her. She blushed as she took in how handsome he was. She reluctantly took her hand away to write.
Now my turn!! Where are you from?
She handed him the paper, which he hastily took. He read and smiled brightly. “Gosh, it’s so strange to have to tell someone who honestly doesn’t know. We could just look this up on the Internet…” he laughed. Again, Athena saw sadness in his eyes. “I was born in London and have lived in the area all my life. My parents where actors as well, Tim and Wanda, or Dad and Mum. We have a smallish cottage. Anyway, I went to Harrow, a school here in Britain, then a gap, then Manchester and… the rest is history.” He smiled, which Athena quickly returned.
It sounds like a fairytale. Athena wrote. It really did seem so nice to her – living in England, having famous parents… actually knowing family.
“It was, and is. I’m really, really blessed. I take it for granted.” He replied solemnly. They sat in silence for a few seconds, processing all they had learned.