Status: Complete.... ?

Beautiful Scars

Chapter 7

Ben hadn’t stopped laughing for the past ten minutes. Athena just recounted an incredibly embarrassing story of her first experience in the London tube. Only then did the idea of traveling, namely going home, occur to him. He looked at his cell phone.
“Athena, um, it’s five in the morning.” He said with a coy smile. Athena took on a look of shock and scribbled furiously as the pair laughed even louder.
ARE YOU KIDDING ME? It seems like we got here five minutes ago! She paused and looked at him with wide eyes. He watched her write some more.
Wait. Did we just talk for four hours?
They, in fact, had. They shared stories from all parts of their lives. There wasn’t any awkwardness between them - only openness and laughter. They were already very good friends.
“Yes, my God I haven’t talked to someone like this in… forever,” he paused and looked to the floor, his laughter dying. “Thank you. I’ve never… just talked with someone for so long. And so freely.” He looked at her and smiled genuinely. His new friend gave a gentle smile back.
Same with me. I’ve been so… caught up in work and recovery that I’ve gotten myself - kind of alone. She looked at him meaningfully and continued. You’re a lot better than any book, Benedict. Thanks.
Ben understood the gravity of that note. She had put what he was thinking out in the open: they were officially friends. Due to her gratefulness, it seemed friends were not plentiful for her. Ben thought someone with such magnetism would attract people like crazy, but understood that, as Sherlock would say, she was a bit “married to her work”. He realized that he had become the same way, between work and having no privacy. Ben and Athena were incredibly similar, but different all the same.
Athena scribbled. We better be off. She frowned and pretended to cry. I have to be on site at 2. We’ll begin your lessons, Mr. Cumberbatch, whenever you get there. I’ll be there until 8.
Benedict agreed that he would be there. “I’m excited to learn some new things, Ms. Congeth,” he teased. “Let’s.” He led her to the golden elevator and pushed the lobby floor button. They walked in comfortable silence to the still street outside. This was the moment Ben had been thinking about… he couldn’t let her travel so late by herself. Not in London so late! But was it to forward or suggestive to share a taxi? He cleared his throat and tackled the subject openly.
“So, uh, how will you get home? Can I accompany you? I don’t want to be to forward, but it’s so late –“ she interrupted by laying a gentle hand on him. She pulled out her cell phone and typed a message.
I was wondering the same. I can walk. I’m not to far from here, so I’m ok. She smiled. Ben knew she would be alright… if he had learned anything tonight, it was that this woman was strong. Very strong. Still, Benedict knew the gentlemanly thing to do was to walk with her. It would stop his worrying about her too. She took her phone back and quickly typed again.
And don’t forget your jacket. I forgot about it! Thank you. It was perfect.
He had completely forgotten about his jacket. Athena just looked so natural in it, like it suited her rather than him. The size was far too big, making the petite girl look like a child. The sight made him smile and pride swell in his chest.
“Let me walk you, please.” He knew she would resist, so when she raised her hand to interrupt him, he caught it in his own. Hers was small, but very tough. It fit flawlessly in his. He couldn’t let go, and blushed as he spoke. “Yes, I will. Please.”
She looked into his eyes, and then to their hands, which were still together in his grasp. Ben watched her blush and drop her eyes to the ground. Slowly, he let go, even though he didn’t want to.
Ben thought about his new friend while she contemplated his offer. She was beautiful, smart, kind, and funny –she was perfect. But in her perfection, he didn’t know yet if he wanted to be in a relationship. Usually he looked for that sort of connection first. But Athena was a friend, and he wanted to take everything slow for her sake and his. He knew that a relationship with him meant major changes in the life of his significant other, and couldn’t put her in that position without a lot thought. He could see being in a relationship with her very easily, but was content, for now, with being friends.
His thoughts were stopped by the flash of Athena’s phone being thrust in his hand.
Ok, if you insist. Such a gentleman! Follow me!
He read, and when he raised his eyes to see her, he saw nothing but her brown curls bouncing as she walked away. His jacket shone in the London lights as it rested on her shoulders. She turned and flashed him a mischievous eyebrow raise.
“She is gorgeous.” He thought. He ran to catch up with her.