Status: Gettin' there

Crash and Burn Victims

I

She didn't really hate his cocky stride or clever comebacks. For all she knew, the kid who had shown up mid-semester and taken the school by storm could be a really nice guy. He did seem to be a bit rebellious like her, but in a prideful, arrogant kind of way.

It wasn't until they officially met that they realized their polar opposite natures.

"What's your name?" He asked, standing a bit too close, looking down on her. The girl glanced up from the book she was reading.

"Ocean," she replied, scanning the boy's face. His tone hadn't been rude or cruel, but she didn't take it as friendly either.

"That's stupid. I'm Reuben."

Ocean's eyes widened in irritation as she got up and stepped away from him. She snapped her book shut. "It's not stupid. At least it doesn't sound like a creepy pedophile's name."

"Nah," he replied, "it just sounds like your parents were fuckin' pot-head hippies."

That sarcastic smile left her speechless, so instead of using words to express her new found hatred, she spat in his face. Ocean then whirled around and raced away, afraid of his backlash.

Reuben stood there in shock - no one had ever had the nerve to stand up to his mockery. In a way he liked it - in another, he hated that girl Ocean. How dare she spit on him!

What a stupid name, he thought.