Status: Complete

I'm Not Insane

Chapter 7

Ah. This is a much better hiding spot. I’m sure that nurse has no idea where we are!

So, you want to know what they do to us, huh? Well buckle your seatbelt, cuz. This isn’t a regular doctor’s office. This asylum is nothing like the media portrays. I thought it was before I came here. But I was way off.

Electro-shock therapy is common here. This doesn’t make anything better. It just makes you forget everything for a while. Doctors think forgetting equals healing but it doesn’t. At least that’s what the person living next to me said. I never went through this. Electro-shock therapy isn’t needed for my case. What do they do? I’m not sure exactly. I guess they just hook you to some wires and turn on a machine and then electric shocks go through your body. My neighbor said you don’t scream but it makes you look like you’re having a seizure. Your arms and legs flail everywhere and your whole body jerks along. My neighbor says she wakes up minutes later but nothing is in her memory. She doesn’t know where she is or who the doctors are. She doesn’t even know who she is. She told me it takes a few hours for everything to come back.

Trust me; there are more “treatments”. There’s one to get people to shut the hell up. I get this one a lot, even when I am quiet. Doctors and nurses inject so much insulin in your system that it shuts down and you go to sleep. It takes an hour or two to wake up again. Cuz, I know it’s bad to take insulin if you don’t have diabetes. Why do you think it does what it does to me and the others?

Another thing they do is put people in ice baths. See that room to your right? That’s where this happens. Can you hear people screaming? I went through this when I first arrived. The coldness hurt my skin. It feels like tiny knives are being stabbed into your body. I shook for about ten minutes before I finally became unconscious.

Lobotomy is still performed here. This is a surgical procedure that separates neural passages in the front of our brain to the back. This makes patients forget depressing and upsetting feelings and tendencies. Of course complications and death comes along with this surgery. It’s an asylum. What did you expect to happen?

There is a treatment that is rather deadly. Blood cleaning. This is when doctors try to clean out the bad blood. Don’t ask me what that is. How am I supposed to know? Anyway, doctors end up taking too much blood and the patient dies of blood loss. I’m guessing one out of twenty patients can ever see the daylight again. Don’t quote me on that, though.

Aren’t we just a happy little hospital?
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm back! :D

Last week was so much fun with the exchange student! My friend was also hosting so me, my friend, and our two Italians were like a family. I'm so upset they're gone :( Oh well. I'll see them in April :D

Anyway, thanks for reading!

"I'll Make a Man Out of You" from Mulan is stuck in my head... The exchange students were singing that in Italian... along with the rest of the songs...