Status: Hey guys! Raechel here to let you know that sadly I'll be the only writer of this story now. Hazel's just too busy, so I'll try to keep this updated at least one every week or two.

Heaven Above You

Chapter 5

Vic’s POV

I am gasping for air as my brother pulls me along behind him while rushing down the staircase. When we reach the tall mahogany doors that open up into the dining hall, I use the last of my strength to yank Michael’s moving body to a standstill, my breathing now changing into a wheeze.

“Mic-chael! St-stop! Please!” I plead to him, to which he gives in. I catch my breath and regain my composure before giving him a sign that I am okay. However, that is only half right because I know Father stands just behind those doors and he is probably furious. Just the thought of what he is going to say to me affects my trust in my body strength to keep me standing. Knees wobbling, we walk into the room, everyone’s eyes glued to our motions. I dare to glance at my father’s expression to find him empty of one. This is a bad thing. He is beyond pissed now and I am going to be reprimanded severely. Accepting defeat, I gulp and tilt my head down, trailing behind my brother as he walks up to the far end of the table, where the rest of our family is seated.

“Thank you, Michael,” my mother whispers from the across the narrow table. Father just nods without a word. I take a seat next to my brother and keep interest in the fine golden table cloth until I hear my mother calls the room’s attention.

“Good evening, everyone. As you all know, we are here to welcome my husband’s newest disciple, Francesca. Francesca, dear, would you like to say a few words.”

The girl stands up and smiles widely, the light reflecting off of her teeth with grand intensity. Her voice is singsong-y as she thanks Mother and Father for giving her a position that is so highly honoured and verbalizes her appreciation for everybody who came to welcome her today before taking her seat. Her words make me smile a little, my heart lifting. Mother, Father, and Michael each express a welcome to Francesca and I stand to do the same when a familiar voice echoes in my right ear.

“Hey there, Angel,” Kellin whispers seductively into my ear. I whip my head to the right, but he is not standing there. Deep in confused thought, I am startled by a tough jab into my side. Looking in the direction of my attacker, I see Michael give me an expression that literally reads, ‘What in God’s name are you doing?’ A swift glance at my parents’ faces tells me that I should not stall any longer, so turning my head to see the rest of the guests (and more importantly, to see Francesca), I speak up.

“I apologize for spacing out. Mother always said that I was tad bit ADD,” the humourous excuse glides effortlessly off of my tongue and causes the room to chuckle, “However, all jokes aside, I am jubilant to welcome Francesca into our heavenly family. And even though I have only known her for a week’s time, it is apparent that she will achieve greatness as Father’s newest disciple. Welcome home, my dear!” I raise my glass into the air as I speak the last four words before taking my seat. Mother and Michael smile graciously at me while Father, with the tug of a smile upon his lips, stands once more to say the honourary words of praise.

“It is our privilege to rejoice with you, Francesca, during this special time of celebration. Let the feast begin!”

"Not so fast!" An all too familiar voice reverberates through the dining hall.