Sequel: I'm Just a Man

All-star Weekend

Here With You

Claire Jones had grown up around football, her family owns the Dallas Cowboys but she never shared the same love for football. Her grandfather always told her all he wanted was for her to be happy; her cousins half expected her to become a trophy wife to one of the Cowboys until she met her best friend, Jamie Benn, back in 2009. Now three years later they had fallen into somewhat of a routine, it started as roommate that grew into something more.

Claire and Jamie were lying in his bed while a movie played in the background; neither of them was paying attention to it. Clair was curled up into Jamie’s left side, her fingers gently tracing where his incision was healing from the emergency appendectomy.

“I think you’re crazy for flying up to Ottawa for this game, you could do something to set your recovery back” she tilted her head back to look up at him. Jamie looked down at her rubbing his thumb across her cheek.

“I’ll be fine; you have nothing to worry about.” Jamie gave her a little smile “In fact the only thing you have to worry about is having fun and remembering to cheer for me.”

“Cheering for you won’t be hard, you are the only one from Dallas going but I don’t know about the fun part, I guess I can see if your brother wants to hang out watch with me” she gave him a slight pout.

“No need to call Jordie, your coming with me. I already bought you a ticket and told your grandfather” he leaned down giving her a soft peck on her lips. “I’m not leaving you here Claire”

Clair raised an eyebrow as he mentioned calling her grandfather. “What did you do, call the front office?”

“Nope, used your phone while you were in the shower a few days ago and deleted all evidence”

“Sneaky sneaky boy you are Benn”

Claire leaned up placing a gentle kiss to the underside of his chin. Jamie looked down at Claire running his hand through her blonde locks. It was his first time getting the invite and nothing could keep him from going or sharing it with someone he was falling in love with. Jamie’s plan was to use this trip to let Claire know how much he had fallen in love with her and wanted her to be by his side for the long run. His fingers playing with her hair was causing Claire to fall asleep

"Keep that up and you will be sharing this big bed of yours tonight." She snuggled into his side more.

“No problem. It will make it easier to wake up your stubborn ass in the morning" he tightened his hold on her with a smirk.

"My ass is not stubborn, it’s southern Benn" she let out a dramatic huff.

“Whatever you say Miss Jones" he told her with a smile.

Last night had been the player draft; she had fun watching it with other fans. After the draft Jamie and Claire went out to dinner with a few of the other players. After trying strange foods; like poutine, that Claire had never heard of before and too much wine the pair of friends returned to hotel.

The next morning Jamie woke her up early promising coffee if she hurried and dressed warm. Bundled up in as many layers as she could get, mittens, hat and scarf the Texas native was ready to see what Canada had to offer.

Jamie took her to Tim Horton’s refusing to find a Starbucks; they walked around the outside of the arena where locals were starting to carve detailed ice sculptures. Finally he took her to the canal where they would go ice skating. Claire was frozen in her spot.

“I don’t think this is a good idea..” she looked up at him with a scared expression

“I’m pretty sure it is a great idea, best one I will have all day” Jamie looked down at Claire giving her a reassuring smile.

“Anything but this please” she stuck out her bottom lip but all he did was shake his head.

“I don’t know how to skate Jamie”

“Then I think it is time to learn, I can’t let you leave without at least trying to teach you”

Without giving her time to protest Jamie had picked her up, thrown her over his shoulder and was heading down to rent her pair of skates. Tyler Seguin, a team Canada team mate from juniors was in on it to bring Jamie his own skates but didn’t stick around. Getting both their skates tied he stood up and reached for her hands

“I promise not to let go and I won’t let you get hurt. Trust me.”

Claire took his hand letting him pull her up and navigate to the ice. Jamie started out backwards slowly pulling her along until Claire was able to get a feel for the ice. The pair was out on the ice for a while with kids and families skating around them, along with some pickup games. After a while, through clattering teeth Claire came to a stop pulling on Jamie’s hand.

“I can’t feel my appendages; can we please go back to the hotel so I can take a hot bath and unfreeze myself?” She gave him pleading eyes with a small pout.

Hours later after spending the afternoon with more of the players Claire was sitting in the bath with tons of bubbles singing Jason Aldean’s Crazy Town softly when Jamie walked into the bathroom.
“You’re taking too long Claire Bear” Jamie pulled his shirt over his head and dropped it onto the floor on top of her clothes

“Move over or get out” Jamie dropped his jeans while she looked at him with a raised eye brow, almost daring him.

“Water is still warm so I am not moving.” Claire just laid back further into the water and closed her eyes.

“Don’t say I didn’t warn you”

Jamie dropped his boxers and pushed Claire forwards climbing into the tub behind her. Water sloshed over the side a bit before she relaxed into him. The two talked until the water ran cold from what she could see him doing tomorrow night all the way to her impression of some of the other players. Hartnell was a goofball. There wasn’t a pair of heels high enough in her closet that didn’t make Chara seem like a giant. She wanted to give Tavares a little bit of grief for playing for the same state as the Giants.

The next day you could feel the excitement grow one hundred times. In the morning she wondered around the area just outside the hotel and into little shops as Jamie did all his media obligations. Since her cell phone didn’t work Claire watched the time in order to be back before he started his nap. She got back just in time as Jamie was crawling into bed. Kicking off her shoes and hurrying out of her jacket she jumped on top of him.

“No sex before the game.” Jamie gave her a smirk wrapping his arms around her so there was no place to go.

“Who said anything about sex you weirdo?” she raised an eyebrow trying to pinch his side
He rolled over taking her with him and pinning her to the bed.

“Obviously you when you jumped on me Claire. Now hush and take a nap”

“At least let me take off my jeans and sweater since you become so hot in your sleep”

“Aw Claire you’re so sweet” he pressed a sloppy wet kiss to her cheek as Claire huffed.

Even though it was a laid back, enjoy yourself type of atmosphere routines and superstations were not left behind. Naps were taken at the same time, favorite game day meals eaten; pads went on in the same order along with skates. Sticks were taped methodically.

Claire was sitting on the floor of the locker room watching everyone interact and get ready, she was having fun talking to Kimmo Timonin’s son – who had promised to sit next to help and help her understand what was going on. When it was time for her to head out Claire left her purse and jacket in the locker room and pulled her Benn jersey over her head, tucking her phone into her pocket and giving him a hug.

“Be awesome all-star”

“Keep out of trouble”

Sitting on the bench she took a picture of the ice and all the fans sitting in the arena sending it to Jordie –Don’t you wish you were here. She watched as some of the players flew across the ice for the fastest skater; forwards, backwards, and goalies. Watching the breakaway challenge had her laughing from the goalie interaction to things not going how they wanted for the players or the extras they were using. Corey pert had her letting out a squeak thinking he was about to strip in the middle of the ice. Patrick Kane busting out the superman cape was her favorite; Carey Price Tebowing earned a face palm. Jamie was on the kneeling on the ice getting ready for his turn in the accuracy contest, right before he went out Claire ran her fingers through his hair giving it a gentle tug, her way of giving him luck using unspoken words as to not jinx him. Jamie had the fastest time for his team, going against Matt Read in the final. Four targets, five shots and 10.2 seconds Jamie took it; Claire just wanted to jump on him with a hug. She recorded it on her phone to show him later that night. She was really enjoying being a part of this experience with Jamie and couldn’t wait to tell him how amazing she thought he was.

After all the competitions were done Claire went back to the hotel while Jamie got showered and finished any media he might be needed for. She was in her pajamas when he got back. With the door barely closed Claire jumped on him with a hug. Jamie caught her easily and was able to hold her up without much effort.

“You were amazing; I was bouncing in my seat with excitement. I love you.” She bit her lip after realizing what she said.

“I’m glad you enjoyed it and I love you” Jamie held her tighter giving her a kiss.

After a moment he tossed her on the bed and grabbed his pajamas. Jamie just wanted to lie in bed and hold her tight for the rest of tonight before duty called for the game itself the next day. Two days after the all-star game Jamie and Claire found themselves back in Dallas.

The most important thing Jamie realized this weekend was that he would ask Claire to marry him; first he just needed to talk to her father and grandfather. Then go buy a ring.