‹ Prequel: All-star Weekend

I'm Just a Man

one

“Alright Riley, be serious I am not wearing a blue wedding dress and Jamie is not wearing a green suite.” Claire rolled her eyes at her best friend “and our colors will not be a combination of Cowboys and Stars”

Riley made a face at her friend as they sat in the kitchen of Claire and Jamie’s house. Claire iPhone was plugged into the dock on the table beside them playing music as the two girls talked wedding plans and the teams new season. Jamie had gone to the airport to pick up his new teammate; Tyler Seguin, then the boys would go skate before coming to the house, that was hours ago. Riley turned up the volume when Jason Aldean’s She’s Country came on and the two girls began dancing and singing along right in the middle of the kitchen.

aw show 'em how a country girl does it one time now

As Jason sung the line the two girls began two stepping across the floor, just as Tyler and Jamie walked in to the show. As they finished Tyler gave them a clap causing both girls to whip around, Claire with a smile and Riley with a glare.

Riley didn’t know much about hockey beyond cheering for the stars when she went to games with Claire. Once she found out he would be a fixture in the Benn household until he found his own place Riley did a Google search. It was safe to say she did not like what she found.

“Tyler Seguin I will tell you this one time only so do not forget it. Don’t try any of your shit on me. It will not work and might get you punched in the face” She gave him a smile “Welcome to Texas darling”

She walked over giving Jamie a hug and Claire a kiss before leaving with one finale thought.

“Don’t forget to talk to lover boy about those colors”

Tyler’s POV
Tyler pointed over his shoulder as the door closed and Claire shook her head.

“What did I do to her that I don’t know about?”

“Don’t worry about her sweetie, Just give her a few days”

Claire came over handing each of them a beer before the trio made their way into the living room. Marshall looked up from the floor waiting to see if he could get on the couch and as soon as Claire sat on the love seat jumped up on her lap. Tyler had met Claire a few times before, The first was all-star weekend in Ottawa and the most recent when he first came down for the weekend after being traded to Dallas. In fact Claire had been the one to convince Jamie to offer him to stay with them. The new house had the room and she loved caring for people.

“Even my dog doesn’t like me right now” he laughed watching Marshall lick Claire’s face.

“Don’t get your panties in a twist Seguin” Claire gave him a look “Be the Tyler your sisters know and not the one found on twitter, give her a few days and you will be fine”

He leaned back into the couch taking a pull from his beer wondering if it would just be easier to avoid Riley all together but he knew that would be impossible since she was Claire’s best friend and helping her with wedding plans.

“So I need to find my country boy charm and turn it up is what you are saying”

He gave Claire a smirk thinking about a song he heard on the radio as him and Jamie pulled into the driveway.

“It’s your life Segs” Jamie laughed before turning to look at Claire “Now what was crazy saying about colors as she ran out the door?”

Claire threw a pillow at Jamie for his comment before shaking her head at him

“Nothing you need to worry your pretty little head about”

Claire got up leaving Marshall on the couch, gave Jamie a quick kiss and Tyler a pat on the shoulder before heading off to do her own thing. Tyler waited until Claire was well out of earshot before turning back to his team mate.

“Please tell me all the women down here are not like crazy as you call her and more like your wife to be?”

“Her name is Riley and do not ever let either of the girls hear you refer to her as crazy, it will be very bad for you”

A few weeks later
Preseason had finished two days ago, the regular season officially begun tomorrow. The stars didn’t open there season for two days and were given a day off. So far Tyler had used it by sleeping in and now was in the search for something to eat. Walking downstairs he noticed the house was quieter than it had since he arrived. Tyler stopped short in the kitchen and scratched the back of his head, Riley was in front of him covered in flour and he had no idea what she was making. Riley, he couldn’t tell you what it was about her but she had Tyler hooked and he was determined to get passed her icy exterior. Walking into the kitchen he used his body, with the excuse of grapping a glass to pin her body against the counter. One hand was on her hip, the other reaching up for the glass as he leaned down to whisper in her ear and feeling her whole body freeze up.

“Good morning miss Riley”

With a smirk Tyler turned to the fridge and poured a glass of milk waiting for her dig.

“Isn’t there some other women you could be harassing right now?”

While chucking down the glass of milk he looked at Riley from the corner of his eye.

“Where would the fun be in that?”

He set the glass in the sink before pulling her over and whipping the flour from her cheek

“I’m going to go take a shower, you should join me” Riley raised an eyebrow at him daring Tyler to go on. “My mom always told me the girls who tease you secretly like you”

“My mother always warned me about guys like you” Riley gave him a smile filled with sass.

Tyler placed his hand on her cheek leaning into her ear and whispering

“I do the best that I can, and I hope you understand, After all, I'm just a man.”

Tyler quoted a song by which he quickly learned was Riley’s favorite artist, Jason Aldean.
♠ ♠ ♠
I have no idea how long this will turn out to be, it has kind of run off on its own and just keeps growing. I just hope it is not hated as I know there are some amazingly written Seguin stories out there.