Goldie

I'm seeing you tomorrow

Maxwell Adam Bentley
January 18, 1994
August 10, 2013
It is in dying that we are born to eternal life.


The words were carved not only into stone but into Stella’s memory for eternity. She blinked back the burning sensation in her eyes, willing herself not to break down once more. The priest standing before the coffin was speaking, praying not only for the soul of Max, but for all his beloved family members and friends who had lost him.

It seemed like a dream as one after another family member spoke about how wonderful Max was, and how he had been the light of their lives; how Max had affected everyone that ever came across him and how he had loved everyone no matter what. When it was her turn to speak Stella found herself immovable. A single tear slipped down her cheek and instantly an arm wrapped around her waist and pulled her loose body into their comfort.

All around her people were watching with sorrowful eyes, feeling pity for the young girl who lost her other half. Stella couldn’t bare to be there any longer. She waited though, as men lowered the coffin and everyone threw a handful of dirt or a flower on top of the glossy wood.

When everyone had left the grave Stella pulled a single flower from behind her back. The golden tulip shone in her hand as she placed it on the fresh dirt. All the tears she had been holding back that day finally broke loose and Stella collapsed to the ground.

Her sobs echoed throughout the quiet of the cemetery.

“God Max, why did you have to leave me?”

A voice shushed her, draping a jacket over her shoulders and helping her stand. Stella buried her face into her brother’s chest. Her body shook with her cries but Derek could do nothing to console her. He held her tight, smoothing down her hair and letting her cry. He was sure that nothing he said would heal her broken heart.