Status: Weekly updates

Akatsuki Princess

Trouble

The next day I got to school and spotted the boys instantly. I sauntered over happily. “Hey guys what’s—“
“Ahhhhh!” I was cut off by five screaming girls jumping on top of me. Before I could defend myself, the girls began beating the shit out of me. Realizing I couldn’t do anything, I covered my face and curled into the fetal position.
Finally after a few minutes, the boys jumped to my rescue. As a team, they pried off the crazy fan girls who were attacking me. I stayed in the fetal position for a few seconds, just in case. When I felt it was safe, I got up shakily.
Sakura lunged at me from Naruto’s arms and I flinched. I knew that any of these girls could easily beat me up; winning against Ino had been a fluke. I tried the doors: locked. There was no escape for me.
Just then, Iruka showed up. He looked at us curiously while unlocking the door. As soon as the building opened, I shot inside and sat down. In a few moments, the guys, so as to ward off the insane girls in our class, surrounded me.
Iruka cleared his throat to get our attention. As soon as he began talking, so did Sasuke. “Kamiko? What made you sit next to me on the first day?”
I was surprised. I hadn’t really thought about it. “I don’t know. I guess cause it was the only open seat in the back. Also, you looked like someone I could hide behind.”
He stared at me quizzically. “But I’m next to you.”
I laughed softly. “Yes, but everyone seems to notice you. Being the new kid always sucks. You get stared at. I figured if I sat next to the guy that got all the attention, no one would look at me unless I wanted them to. I don’t know. It sounds stupid now.”
Sasuke turned back to face Iruka again. A few moments later, he turned back to me. “Why do you live with Itachi?”
I stared at the boy. He had so much hostility towards his brother; I could see it in his eyes. “He works for my father. All the men who work for my father live with us.”
“Kamiko! Sasuke! Pay attention!” Iruka yelled from the front of the room. “Stay after class so I can talk to you.”
I nodded and bowed my head in shame while Sasuke just looked out the window. I could tell he was contemplating what I had just told him. He was obviously confused, but he didn’t want to show it.
After class, Sasuke and I sat in front of Iruka who was glaring at us. He sighed. “Sasuke, I can almost see why you wouldn’t want to listen. You don’t need to; you know most of this stuff. But why hinder Kamiko’s learning?”
Sasuke looked down, ashamed. “I’m sorry, sensei. I was just trying to get to know her better, sir. She’s different than the other girls; her behavior piqued my interest.”
“Very well. Kamiko, what’s your excuse? You’re causing trouble all over the place. First, almost getting into a fight with Sasuke on your very first day, then trying to run away – or at least that’s why I assume you hid behind the tree yesterday. And today you got into a fight with half the girls in our class, and then decided not to pay attention? Please, explain.”
I looked out the window, angrily. I wanted to tell him that it was none of his business, but I knew that would only get me in more trouble. I stayed silent, choosing my words carefully. Sasuke and Iruka stared at me, waiting for my answer. Finally, I looked into Iruka’s eyes.
“I don’t have a good reason, sir. The fight on the first day was due to a miscommunication. Running away, well, I wasn’t comfortable sparring my classmates who already seem to hate me. I’m surprised you noticed, I usually get away with it. Today’s fight really wasn’t my fault. The girls jumped me. The guys had to help get them off me; I don’t know what it was about. And as for not paying attention? Not to throw him under the bus, but Sasuke asked me some questions. They distracted me from your lecture. I wasn’t trying to be rude.”
Iruka nodded. “I understand. You two are free to go, but in the future, please try to pay attention. Especially you, Kamiko. You need it.”
Sasuke and I left without a word.